May 09, 2017, 12:08 PM
Scale RC Plane Lover
Hello, the control surfaces are not hinged yet, I just tape them to take photo. It will be ribbon hinged but I still not decide how it will be hinged. I will do that after coating and painting.

I use retract units from hobbyking, small ones without LG struts about 6-7 dollars each. I made the strut myself and use 55 mm foam wheels on front and 90 mm on wings. All LG are without suspension, but I use about 3 cm thick EVA foam, to absorb the impact on the base of each LGs

It will take off from short grass, but I don't think it can be abuse on hard landing. I need to make a very smooth landing on maiden. The wing is huge the wight will be approximately 2000 grams, so I think I can manage the landing smoothly, hopefully

This is my airfield

RC C-130H just another flying day (5 min 41 sec)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJG
Hi
Very nice build, are you tape hinging your control surfaces, cannot make out the detail on the photo?.
Also can you please give details on the retract units used and did they need any mods is this going to be grass field
Usable?

Regards
Henry
Last edited by julescrafter; May 09, 2017 at 12:33 PM.
to remove ads between posts
May 09, 2017, 12:16 PM
Scale RC Plane Lover
It is ready to be vinyl coated, I will do that tomorrow

May 09, 2017, 04:05 PM
HJG
HJG
HENRY
HI,
Thanks for the reply, not sure exactly how you have arranged the foam suspension or what type of foam it is.
In the full-size A10 the engine pods are angled downwards slightly towards the tail plane and the jet exhaust angled up, just wondering if you have tilted the motors upwards to give a component of down "moment" to offset the high thrust line?.
The full-size has quite a cambered wing and the tail plane has at least -3 % angle of attack, how have you arranged your model in this respect?
I find this aircraft on my wish list, and will follow this thread , I think the aerodynamics if correct will produce a very convincing flight envelope.

Regards
Henry
May 09, 2017, 06:56 PM
Can you tell me how to set up electric parts with 2 motor?
May 10, 2017, 02:01 AM
Scale RC Plane Lover
Quote:
Originally Posted by HJG
HI,
Thanks for the reply, not sure exactly how you have arranged the foam suspension or what type of foam it is.
In the full-size A10 the engine pods are angled downwards slightly towards the tail plane and the jet exhaust angled up, just wondering if you have tilted the motors upwards to give a component of down "moment" to offset the high thrust line?.
The full-size has quite a cambered wing and the tail plane has at least -3 % angle of attack, how have you arranged your model in this respect?
I find this aircraft on my wish list, and will follow this thread , I think the aerodynamics if correct will produce a very convincing flight envelope.

Regards
Henry
I'll take photo of the landing gear later, I'll show you. EVA foam is like rubbery foam
Yes I refer to the real configuration on the engine nacelles, downward slightly but the exhaust exit upward slightly, in this case the pusher motor tilt slightly upward . But for the wing I use clark-Y airfoil with flat bottom and +1 % AOI.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jivago
Can you tell me how to set up electric parts with 2 motor?
you must use 2 ESCs for 2 motors, you can combine the power cable into 1 socket for 1 battery or 2 sockets for 2 batteries on each ESCs like I did.
Then for the cable to the RX, you must cut the red cable on one of the ESCs, then combine the sockets into 1 cable with Y cable then plug it to the RX.
May 10, 2017, 02:03 AM
Scale RC Plane Lover
Vacuum formed canopy is ready, I use 3d printed PLA plastic for master
first outdoor photo before apply cover
May 10, 2017, 03:50 AM
Scale RC Plane Lover
I was wondering if it fits in my car for transporting, it fits perfectly
May 10, 2017, 03:59 AM
Very nice!!!!!
May 11, 2017, 04:22 AM
Warbirds Lover
Very nice job on the A-10 Jules, congratulations !

You build sharp and very fast too, that's impressive (i would like to be able to build as fast as you, but i have so few free time to build my R/c models... )

I look forward the next steps with great interest.

Cheers

Pascal
May 11, 2017, 05:52 AM
Scale RC Plane Lover
Thanks Pascal
I've been doing it everyday, add a bit of progress every single day
May 12, 2017, 08:10 AM
Scale RC Plane Lover
covering with vinyl
May 13, 2017, 09:48 AM
Scale RC Plane Lover
Ordnance pylons