May 15, 2017, 10:21 PM

Completing the HA-137

Final glue in the stabilizer / elevator, and fin / rudder. Install all servos, and the elevator / rudder / tail wheel / pushrods. Flap and aileron pushrods can be installed last, they are in the open. If you haven't already, glue the outboard wing panels on.

Fabricate the unusual curved wing tip antenna post by soaking the two 1/16 ply antennae parts in water and laminate them around the form as shown. Make two. After covering and finishing, insert them into the slots provided in the wing tips.

Complete all sheeting and hatches, final sand, and give everything a coat of clear nitrate dope to seal everything, and another light sanding.

The entire structure was covered with Polyspan using Sis Stixit. I used a heat gun to shrink the open areas. The Polyspan was sealed with Minwax Polycrylic. The entire model was then given a spray coat of Krylon white primer.Sand lightly. White primer is opaque. White paint is not.

The scale finish color was light gray (not silver) , but I chose to use the Luftwaffe desert sand color just for having a little visibility when in the air. This final tan color coat was Loew's sample can of satin latex, brushed on leaving absolutely NO brush strokes.

The numbers and national insignia were made by Callie Graphics from my drawings. The plastic cowl was produced by Park Flyer Plastics, from my mould, and the laser cut parts from Manzano Laser from my CAD plans.

I hope you enjoy this rare model as much as I did

Bill Bradley
to remove ads between posts
May 16, 2017, 02:41 PM
V Nicely built Model ..Well done....it's Inspirational :-)
Particularly liking the covering material. Gonna have to get some.
Getting disillusioned /annoyed with Doculam.. It does a crap job on edges and overlaps.
Also paint has an on and off again stiction to it. Sometimes it does most times it doesn't.
Cheap ain't the only criteria... especially so given the work hours involved in a scale build
May 16, 2017, 03:25 PM
Pro Hoarder
Stunning looking..well done
May 16, 2017, 04:53 PM
Watch out for that planet....
Nicely done Sir!

Hope it fly's as good as it looks.

Shane.
May 16, 2017, 06:17 PM
CH Spring
Ditto what turbonut said.

Cheers!
May 17, 2017, 10:45 AM
Ken Stuhr
Very clean model, good technique. I think I'd spend the bit of extra energy to fab a scale spinner to top it off tho.
May 17, 2017, 04:49 PM
It's a fine fiddly business.
Bill,
Wow, that is magnificent!

How did you get your brushed latex to come out so smoothly? My attempts are a lot streakier and have more brush marks.

How do you do it?

Robert
May 17, 2017, 11:02 PM
Robert, I have used the sample jars of satin latex from both Loew's, and Home Depot with the same results. I think it may be the white Krylon primer base. I do not thin the paint. Too thin will cause streaks. The paint must be thick enough to flatten out eliminating brush strokes. Brushing in any direction does not seem to matter.

Thanks for watching,

Bill B.
May 18, 2017, 01:45 AM
It's a fine fiddly business.
Bill,
Thank you for responding. I thought your results were so good, that I posted a link to this page on my current build thread.
Strong work.
Robert
May 23, 2017, 12:18 PM
Manzano Laser Works
Wonderful craftsmanship, Bill! It's a treat to watch you make these realistic scale models.

The short kit is now available from Manzano Laser.

-=Tom=-
May 24, 2017, 08:41 PM
Manzano Laser Works
Quote:
Originally Posted by B. Bradley
I hope you enjoy this rare model as much as I did.
Bill, can we have some details on the motor and radio setup, please?

Thanks,

-=Tom=-
May 25, 2017, 12:17 PM
You did a fantastic job on this most unusual subject.

John Boren
May 26, 2017, 12:39 PM
Bill thanks for describing how you covered your plane, it could not have come at a better time. I was struggling with dope but was not getting the look I was after for my Stinson Junior build. I tried your method and have excellent results. The only thing I did differently is I used what is becoming my favorite, Modge Podge, for covering. Then one coat of dope (100%) and two cotes of poly and a lite coat of Krylon White Primer. Came out perfect! Oh, the color coat was Tamiya enamels because I needed silver and could not get a very good match with latex.
Could you give us info on the airfoil used and amount of washout.
Thanks...
Jun 04, 2017, 06:35 PM

Thanks / Details

Thank you all for your kind comments. Here is the details:

Motor- Turnigy D3536/6 1250 kv. Battery - Turnigy 11v 2200mah Spinner - (non scale) DuBro 2 1/2" three blade. Prop - Master Airscrew 11 x 6 3 blade.

Main wheels - Dave Brown Lite Flite Treaded 2 3/4 x 3/4 Tail Wheel - 1 3/4 Sullivan ( metal hub ) Recvr. - Hobby King Orange 6 channel. TX - Spectrum 6.

Airfoil - Well, ummm, the 3 view shows a flat bottom airfoil. I enlarged it, and cleaned it up to be real close to a Clark Y. I used 1/4 washout at tips.

All of this information is on the plans.

Bill B.