Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Apr 21, 2017, 03:06 PM
Build Log

Blohm & Voss Ha-137 1/10 scale 44" electric

I was looking for a new project when I accidentally saw a couple of not so good photos of this slick looking little aircraft. It just needed to be a model.

Designed by Blohm & Voss in 1935 as an entry for the Luftwaffe dive bomber contest, only three were built. Junkers won the contest with the JU-87 Stuka.

I found some good 3 views, and a few more bad photos and a 1/72 scale plastic model that would give me a 3D look at this little beauty. The plastic model was made in the Ukraine and took three weeks to arrive.

Meantime, I decided it would be electric, 1/10 scale which equals a 44" wingspan. Construction will be balsa and lite-ply, covered with Polyspan. The gull wing and landing gear will be removable just for transport, and battery access will be through a lift off top hatch. The parts will be laser cut (Manzano Laser) and the cowling will be plastic (Park Flyer Plastics), and the plans will be CAD drawn by me.
to remove ads between posts
Apr 21, 2017, 03:14 PM
It's a fine fiddly business.
Very cool project.

Robert
Apr 21, 2017, 03:31 PM
Wanted for breaking Ohm's Law
Interesting project.....I'll follow along.....
Apr 21, 2017, 05:19 PM
Oh no, not again!
Neat! I'll be following.

Regards,
Jeff
Apr 21, 2017, 05:40 PM
Watch out for that planet....
Me too!

Shane.
Apr 21, 2017, 09:32 PM
Certainly see the similarities betwixt this and the Stuka.
Same engine , a significantly smaller aircraft, albeit much better armed than the Stuka.
Curious as to the laundry lines tho
Apr 22, 2017, 12:38 AM
Cool project, this is one I have wanted to do as well. Such an odd looking thing it has tons of character.

Subscribed.

D-Rock
Apr 22, 2017, 05:18 AM
CH Spring
I recently saw the same pics in a magazine article. I too will be following along. Good luck with the build.

Cheers!
Apr 22, 2017, 08:20 AM
Slow builder
Great subject.
I'm in.

Al
Apr 22, 2017, 09:41 PM

Design

There are a couple of design features on this aircraft that make it interesting. The air intake behind the spinner is open 360 degrees with no visible support. The wings have large split flaps that deploy on each side of the landing gear fairing.

A plastic cowl can solve the intake problem, but the flaps can be a bit fiddly, or just make them stationary. I will try to make them active.

The plastic model finally arrived. It is small, has nice detail, and is interesting to see in 3D.

Finally there are two sheets of construction plans, and two locator sheets for the laser cut parts.
Apr 23, 2017, 04:34 PM
Manzano Laser Works
Bill,

Great choice! B&V made some "interesting" aircraft for sure!

-=Tom=-
www.manzanolaser.com
Apr 23, 2017, 10:45 PM

Center section & landing gear

The center section is built "in the air" over the plans. Start with lite-ply front and rear main spars. Assemble ribs R-1,R-3, R-3a, and then R-2 in that order.

Since the landing gear is a integral part of the center section now bend the two sets of 1/8 wire gear parts, using the patterns on the plans. Bind the parts together making a left and right assembly. You can use thin wire and solder, or as I did, nylon thread and thin CA. ( works for me )

Bind and epoxy the gear assemblies to the ply parts LGX-1. Caution here, you are making a left and right set.

Now, insert one LGX-1 assembly with the SHORT tabs into R-3, and the front and rear tabs into the front and rear spars. Check the trailing edge aligns correctly. Add and eppoxy R-4 into place over the LONG tabs. The long tabs will be the keys for joining the outboard wing panels later.l

Now 1/16 sheet the entire bottom between ribs R-3 and R-4, starting from the front spar to the trailing edge. Complete both sides.

Install Center Section Leading Edge 1 and 2. Laminate 1/4 balsa Fill-1, Fill-2, and Fill-3, glue to Main Rear Spar to form a solid trailing edge for attaching wing bolts. Install the 1/4 dowels.

Place 1/16 sheet LG-1 on the bench. Align and laminate 1/4 balsa parts G-5, 4, 3, 2, & 1. Make a left and right.

Install the wheels on the axels, starting with a soldered washer inside and retaining the wheel with a 1/8 wheel collar with the set screw DOWN.

Check fit the laminated forward section over the wheel and axel. Check for proper clearance and glue into place, both left and right.

Construct the gear fairing trailing edge. Glue G-6 to LG-2 square. Glue 1/16 sheets LG to both sides. Insert and glue LG-3 and the trailing edge. Glue this completed fairing to the bottom of the wing 1/16 sheet and flush with the forward wheel assembly. Now add the 1/16 sheet LG-2 to the inside of the forward wheel section finishing the entire landing gear assembly and fairing.

Glue BB-1 and BB-2 in place and finish sheeting the entire bottom center section.

Tack glue LG-3 wheel cover in place and sand all to shape, taking care with the landing gear front blocks and wing intersection. Now make the opposite side.
Apr 24, 2017, 04:51 AM
edi
edi
Triplane addict
What is the size of the wheels?
Apr 24, 2017, 10:01 AM
edi,
the main gear are Dave Brown Lite Flite Treaded 2 3/4 x 3/4
The tail wheel is Sullivan 1 1/4 x 1/2

B. B.
Apr 25, 2017, 05:28 AM
This is a really interesting plane! I'll be following along.

Joe