to remove ads between posts
Apr 21, 2017, 02:05 PM
Looking great! I like the foam wing partialy sheeted concept. works great and it saves some weight. Win Win!
Apr 21, 2017, 03:15 PM

Turkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbonut
I picked this one up here on RCG a few weeks back. I wanted a fun quick build so this one is on the table . There is not any real build instruction. Just what is on the plans
I have one of the Baby Turkey kits, in the box. I have flying, a 1/2a SST (same designer) which employs a similar wing structure. On this 1/2a SST full sheeting was used and it has proven,for me, to be a much more robust over time, the plane has had many repairs, it is 9 years old now and I have just installed its third motor. I have tested the strength of the wings by flying into the ground, more than once, and the extra rigidity of full sheeting has survived my crashes with minor damage. It adds a little weight but with careful wood selection the difference is minimal. I have flown both types , full sheet and the partial sheeting. They fly the same, but for me the extra edge in surviving turf testing helps.
You will find the Baby Turkey is fast and nimble. I really like your fues. jig.
Last edited by wingtips; Apr 21, 2017 at 07:44 PM. Reason: add
Apr 21, 2017, 03:42 PM
A Hobby Shack 1/2A SST ! Looking good.
Have one in red.. hanging in my Garage ... for 39 years .
Bit heavy due to the mostly sheeted foam wing and the elevator needed doubling in depth to work effectively as an Electric.
No rudder on mine as it didn't make any difference.
Might fit individual wing servos for flaperons as an upgrade.. One day.
Also mo' attractive if the engine bay is enclosed.. given there's no gooey Cox in there
No wheels were fitted as oem. and get in the way of Flying it imo
Last edited by Bare; Apr 21, 2017 at 03:47 PM.
Apr 21, 2017, 08:38 PM

Baby Turkey

Quote:
More pics! Not a very well set up kit..many of the parts don't match the plans. and no real design on how to set it up. I guess it was not a beginners kit..O well just move on!
That Norvel 061 will move this Turkey right along. It was designed as a 1/2a race plane back in the 70s. A good TD would fly one very fast. What prop will you use?
Yes they were not intended as a novice build kit. These were budget kits. I really like those Horner wing tips.
Apr 21, 2017, 08:52 PM

39 year old SST

I like my planes to have LG and rudders. Just me I guess. Planes will fly faster without landing gear. Baby Turkey has no undercarriage, it will be fast.
Apr 21, 2017, 09:06 PM
EB-66C Team Member
Quote:
More pics! Not a very well set up kit..many of the parts don't match the plans. and no real design on how to set it up. I guess it was not a beginners kit..O well just move on!
Looking great....Nice job, Turbo!
Apr 21, 2017, 09:50 PM
Quote:
Actually IIRC... It was THE cheapest 'kit' that Hobby Shack advertised. No frills and marginal quality control at that price point.
But t was Inexpensive and they did work and to be fair an easy to assemble airframe.
Not seen one where the corners were more than barely rounded.
Gummy band wing attachments.. while pedestrian.. de classe.. is Why mine has seen it's 39 b'day.
Imo the Big Windshield added rather than detracted to the look.
Presumably you are gonna paint /film one back on?
Remembered that the fuse/engine mount setup caused ongoing fuel foaming issues with a TD... as heads up.
Foam packing, elastic band suspension of the 1 oz Klunk tank didn't fully solve the problem.
In retrospect a Balloon fuel cell might have.
My Final solution was fitting an electric motor.
Apr 25, 2017, 01:06 PM
Pro Hoarder
Thread OP
Yes this is not the highest quality kit..I had to bin a few of the wood bits. the wing leading edges were any where from 1/8th thick to 1/4 along their length..more like scrap wood than parts. I spent the little bit of time I had completing the covering. the rest of the week end was chasing down why the AC at home had stopped...turns out the breaker box had shorted out behind the breaker..So I jerry rigged it for now. Really not looking forward to installing a breaker box...The Turkey is now a navy attack turkey!
Latest blog entry: In flight
Apr 25, 2017, 01:23 PM
That looks great dressed like that I think.
Apr 25, 2017, 03:29 PM
Pro Hoarder
Thread OP
Thanks, I am happy with it. All built from my stash of bits and left over covering .Came out at 9.7oz for the airframe
Latest blog entry: In flight
Apr 27, 2017, 12:07 PM
Great! a sorta Grumman 'Super Sport Trainer' sans the 10,000 rivets ?
Apr 27, 2017, 12:15 PM
+1 on Horners and color scheme. Nice work!
Apr 27, 2017, 02:50 PM
Nitro User
Looks peppy not a bad empty weight covered should scoot.

Quick Reply