Airspeed Sensor and Flying on the Bench - RC Groups
Apr 21, 2017, 10:10 AM
Flyer of Things
Question

Airspeed Sensor and Flying on the Bench

I installed the airspeed expander with my vector in a new plane. While bench testing the system, the vector thought on startup and without throttle input that the plane was already flying. I couldn't get into the menus via the OSD without allowing menus in flight and I could not enable the compass for calibration because of the same issue. I ended up unplugging the sensor and the vector allowed me to work on it. Any suggestions?
to remove ads between posts
Apr 21, 2017, 11:24 AM
because rust never sleeps....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drhassenphefer
I installed the airspeed expander with my vector in a new plane. While bench testing the system, the vector thought on startup and without throttle input that the plane was already flying. I couldn't get into the menus via the OSD without allowing menus in flight and I could not enable the compass for calibration because of the same issue. I ended up unplugging the sensor and the vector allowed me to work on it. Any suggestions?
1. Are there any kinks or twists (any at all) in the transparent pipes ?
2. Have you connected the right pipe to the right port on the sensor?
3. Is the pitot probe blocked (remove it and try to blow down each channel)?
Apr 21, 2017, 11:41 AM
Flyer of Things
Quote:
Originally Posted by HugoRogers
1. Are there any kinks or twists (any at all) in the transparent pipes ?
2. Have you connected the right pipe to the right port on the sensor?
3. Is the pitot probe blocked (remove it and try to blow down each channel)?
1. No kinks or significant twisting. The tubing was wrangled with a zip tie and two dabs of hot glue, but I made sure to leave enough space that it wouldn't be kinked. I wouldn't think the hot glue would affect the silicone tubing.
2. I'll double check the tubing connections when I get home, but to confirm, the front hole should be the straight tube out the back of the pitot tube and it should be connected to the top input on the sensor itself, correct?
3. This one's gonna be a little tough. The pitot is somewhat hard to get to, but I'll give this a try when I get home. Is there some reason it would arrive with a blockage?
Apr 21, 2017, 12:15 PM
because rust never sleeps....
Quote:
2. I'll double check the tubing connections when I get home, but to confirm, the front hole should be the straight tube out the back of the pitot tube and it should be connected to the top input on the sensor itself, correct?
blockage?
For the avoidance of doubt here, refer to the instructions on P30 - 31
http://eagletreesystems.com/Manuals/vector.pdf

Quote:
3. This one's gonna be a little tough. The pitot is somewhat hard to get to, but I'll give this a try when I get home. Is there some reason it would arrive with a blockage?
No, I have never seen one blocked. The only reason I mention it is that this is the one piece of kit which you just fit, and it works. First time everytime. So I am looking for something unusual.

Blowing down the pipes disconnected from the sensor out through the pitot, is a good test too, as it checks they are not blocked as well as the pitot. Note there should be some resistance if you blow, but air should pass. And obviously take care not to lodge saliva or anything else when you blow

When I fit these I tend to fire up the OSD and start a small fan running in front of the tube to make sure the airspeed on the OSD is responding,

Good luck.
Apr 21, 2017, 12:29 PM
Flyer of Things
Quote:
Originally Posted by HugoRogers
...The only reason I mention it is that this is the one piece of kit which you just fit, and it works. First time everytime...
It's not so much that it wasn't working, but more the vector acted like it was already in flight when I plugged in the battery. Without enabling the "menu in flight" option, I couldn't get into the menu via the OSD until I unplugged the sensor. That's what was throwing me off.