Foam Slow Flyer Project - RC Groups
Apr 20, 2017, 09:46 PM
Discussion

Foam Slow Flyer Project

I have been lurking on this forums for quite a while. I am building a large foamy slow flyer. Wingspan 6' with V-Tail and pusher prop. I will mount a 3 axis gimbal and camera so I can look around at the ground below.

Here is the list of the electronics I spec'd for this build.
30A BEC ESC
X2212 980KV brushless motor
5200mAh 3S 10C LIPO
1145 Prop
9G Servos
FlySky FS-i6 Transmitter
FlySky FS-iA6 Reciever

Does this sound right?
to remove ads between posts
Apr 22, 2017, 08:24 AM
treefinder
Your motor might be a bit small, and lipo bigger than needed. Looking it up, i saw 180 watts, 56 gram. While the kv sounds right for a big slow flyer, the 6' span may want a higher wattage motor. I fly my 7' wing with Banggood DYS D2830-8 1300kv, 52gm 275 watt brushless
Prop: APC style 8x6 and a 2200 mah 3s lipo. You can get a feel for the speed from the video, but remember the wing is a slippery, low drag shape. https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...g-MPF-and-wood
Apr 22, 2017, 04:21 PM
Hot glue held together by foam
Quote:
Originally Posted by someguyincali
I have been lurking on this forums for quite a while. I am building a large foamy slow flyer. Wingspan 6' with V-Tail and pusher prop. I will mount a 3 axis gimbal and camera so I can look around at the ground below.

Here is the list of the electronics I spec'd for this build.
30A BEC ESC
X2212 980KV brushless motor
5200mAh 3S 10C LIPO
1145 Prop
9G Servos
FlySky FS-i6 Transmitter
FlySky FS-iA6 Reciever

Does this sound right?
Will this plane be used for learning to fly an RC plane for the very first time ?
If so , do you have an experienced RC flyer who can help you ?

Is this plane being built from plans for an existing proven design , or is it completely self-designed ?
Apr 25, 2017, 11:07 AM
This will be my first fixed wing rc. My experience is with quadcopters. I am doing a scratch build from my own design. I plan on trying a wing mold and using expanding foam and carbon fiber rolled tube for spars. I may glass the wing if I get good results on the design.

I'll experiment with different size motors. I eventually want to carry two batteries for extended flight time. This will be a security camera in the sky for my large property in the hills.
Apr 25, 2017, 11:37 AM
Hot glue held together by foam
Quote:
Originally Posted by someguyincali
This will be my first fixed wing rc. My experience is with quadcopters. I am doing a scratch build from my own design. I plan on trying a wing mold and using expanding foam and carbon fiber rolled tube for spars. I may glass the wing if I get good results on the design.

I'll experiment with different size motors. I eventually want to carry two batteries for extended flight time. This will be a security camera in the sky for my large property in the hills.
If doing this on your own , without the assistance of an experienced RC fixed wing flyer :

I strongly recommend building a simple , proven design , disposable airframe BEGINNER plane for you first scratch build and first time fixed wing RC flying practice . Once you've had some experience successfully flying a beginner plane , then move on to building and flying a self-designed plane .

The scratch built beginner plane I use to teach first time RC flyers is the EzFly . The airframe can be built out of about $2 worth of foam board from the Dollar Tree Store , and the motor/prop are protected in a ( VERY likely ) nose first crash .

The EzFly can be very slow flying if built with LIGHT WING LOADING . The main ingredient for slow flight ( for any plane ) is light wing loading . Here is one of mine :

Copy of EzFly with under-cambered wing (1 min 57 sec)
Last edited by balsa or carbon; Apr 25, 2017 at 02:39 PM.
Apr 25, 2017, 12:06 PM
That propeller sure seems a bit too big.
8-10inch should also do the job. Do you have enough space on a pusher for 11inch?

Greetings, Jay.
----------
https://rc-challenges.com - RC Challenge Playground
Apr 26, 2017, 05:19 PM
The X2212 980KV brushless motor is normally considered a quad motor. It will handle an 11x4.5 drawing some 17A on a 3s and generating about 190W.
That should fly a big slow job well enough but I do agree that you would be well advised to get there in stages. Start off smaller, lighter and simpler.
Structural strength to weight and crash resistance work against you the bigger things get!