Mini40 trimaran Nottingham UK - RC Groups
Apr 20, 2017, 11:12 AM
Discussion

Mini40 trimaran Nottingham UK

Just commissioning my Mini40 trimaran. Long build. Pre preg carbon hull and floats vac cured in a full autoclave so very light. Have to be brutal to avoid even 10grammes of weight. So no paint or anything superfluous. Shaped cross beams far too heavy so repaced with 20mm biax carbon tube. Not so pretty but much stiffer and lighter. Lonely sailing though, simply blast round the lake passing the model motor boats!!
to remove ads between posts
Apr 20, 2017, 12:56 PM

Mini 40

Congratulations! How much does the boat weigh all-up?
Here's the German Mini 40 forum and the Flevo Cup thread. There's a guy from Somerset UK there you might contact:
http://www.rc-network.de/forum/showt...is-14-Mai-2017
Apr 21, 2017, 03:49 AM
Hi Doug.
Total all up weight 2010 grm (including all electrics and fin/rudder) The first rig, which is a 10R intermediate on carbon spars weighs 500grm.
Each float on its own is 330grm I do have a heavy fin at the moment
I have seen some figures for weight targets which seem pretty amazing and include paint.
My build is 3X100 gsm pre preg carbon, vac bagged and cured in a full vac industrial autoclave at 120 C. No internal structure at all. Standing each hull vertically will take my full weight without buckling. These hulls need to be very stiff.
Currently sailing with 2300mm luff rig on a tapered carbon mast but without too much roach.I have maintained a backstay to give me the level of control over sail shape that I am used too. Although I do see some of the advantages of a gaff type head, my preference is to keep the CoE lower and not rely on the head dumping the power in gusts. Also keeps all rig set up loads on the main hull rather than introducing high twist loads onto the whole platform by having backstays on the floats.
Float angles have proved critical and a tiny adjustment makes a big difference. I am debating whether to start fitting foils, just slightly reluctant to add the weight and cut my floats about. Also the idea of reducing my sailing pattern to fast reaching only; currently points very well and matches my One Metre.
Richard
Apr 21, 2017, 09:12 AM

Mini 40

Thanks for the info, Richard. I wouldn't recommend adding full flying foils unless you know that the system you're going to use is capable of upwind foiling, light air takeoff(5mph/4.35 knots) wind) and tacking and gybing on foils. Just no point in reducing the capability of the boat for some fast reaches.
Adding foil assist(ama curved/angled foils+rudder T-foil) can be beneficial.
Seems like you've done a first class job on your boat!
Apr 21, 2017, 10:39 AM
Thanks Doug, worth joining this forum for that advice. I was really reluctant to go down the foil route. I am familiar with the Team NZ foiling cats and the fact that there is no simple way of reproducing that on an unmanned model. My rudder is a 4digit NACA section with "upside down" winglets and seems to do the job at keeping the bows up, not too sure how deep to go though. Still re-learning how to sail and have kept the main hull flying only just above the water so far. Same question goes for the main foil (currently a stubby non-descript off cut from an old One Metre.
Setting this boat up has been frustrating and time consuming with problems ,that are easily solved on monohulls, requiring so many other considerations. Nothing that I am used to seems to apply.
Richard
Apr 21, 2017, 12:40 PM
Richard - That sure is a pretty boat. I hope that your multihull sailing skills develop to the level of your building skills! Best of luck, and carry on.

Niel Goodrich