Apr 20, 2017, 04:56 AM
Discussion

BeeRotorF4/BRF4 Flight Controller (BFOSD)

BeeRotor F4 /BRF4 has released now:
Products link: http://rctimer.com/product-1730.html

Firmware: BEEROTORF4

Description:
F4 board with integrated Betaflight OSD.

MCU, Sensors and Features
Hardware
Dimension: 35x35mm
Mounting holes: 30x30mm
MCU: STM32F405
IMU: MPU6050A (SPI)
IMU Interrupt: yes
BARO: BMP280 (I2C)
VCP: yes
Hardware UARTS: 1, 2, 3
OSD: Betaflight OSD
Blackbox: serial / SD Card
PPM/UART Shared: UART2
Battery Voltage Sensor: yes
Integrated Voltage Regulator: no
Brushed Motor Mosfets: no
Buttons: BOOT
8 PWM / DShot outputs (up to 6 useable for DShot)
LED strip output
IR transmitter output
switchable inverters for UART2 (SBus RX) and UART3 (SmartPort telemetry)
SPI connector
Features
8 motor outputs (6 useable for DShot)
integrated Betaflight OSD
blackbox logging to SD Card

Last edited by rctimer; May 09, 2017 at 05:31 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Apr 20, 2017, 04:57 AM
BeeRotorF4 IR_Transponder .hex download:
www.rctimer.com/download/BRF4/betaflight_3.1.7_BEEROTORF4_with_ir_transponder.ra r

BeeRotorF4 iNav FW download:
www.rctimer.com/download/BRF4/inav_1.7.0_BEEROTORF4.rar
Last edited by rctimer; May 03, 2017 at 01:28 AM.
Apr 20, 2017, 04:57 AM
BeeRotor F4 iNav RTH test:

BeeRotorF4 BRF4 iNav RTH test! (0 min 40 sec)
Last edited by rctimer; May 12, 2017 at 10:15 PM.
Apr 20, 2017, 07:16 AM
still order one.
I would be happy if you can put some spare cables and connectors to the package. On my BRF3 build i crashed recently and this damaged one of the connector. Now i had to solder direct behind to the socket.

Would be very comfortable to have spare for this situations.
As well not everyone have a XSR reciver. Maybe you can provide a second SBUS(SB) connector without the 5 pin JST-SH on the other end.
Apr 20, 2017, 06:38 PM
LoS sUAS AP/V is not a crime
Nice looking FC Frank.
This may be the one I am looking for.
Please confirm that if I use a SpekSat I can use free i2c for a compass.
Also has anyone loaded iNav onto this FC?
Apr 22, 2017, 12:19 AM
I built the BR130 with the F3 and BR130 PDB. I would like to upgrade to the F4 but want to make sure the F4 will work with the BR130 PDB.

Thanks
Apr 22, 2017, 05:37 AM
This looks very nice, I have 2 Beerotor F3 w/PDB and I like them a lot, I'm not fan of built-in PDB designs, I think this setup is a lot nicer to work with. It's awesome to see the BF OSD and SD Card.

One thing I would LOVE to see would be a "pro" cable set (additional cost of course) with a complete set of connectors, including the PDB harness, using silicon wire.
Apr 27, 2017, 10:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProtoDrone
I built the BR130 with the F3 and BR130 PDB. I would like to upgrade to the F4 but want to make sure the F4 will work with the BR130 PDB.

Thanks
Yes, BRF4 & BRF3 can support all BR-PDB, like BR130 PDB, BR180PDB, BR210PDB, ThunderBolt190 PDB, ThunderBolt220 PDB
Latest blog entry: BeeRotor BLS20A used DSHOT
Apr 27, 2017, 10:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegan
This looks very nice, I have 2 Beerotor F3 w/PDB and I like them a lot, I'm not fan of built-in PDB designs, I think this setup is a lot nicer to work with. It's awesome to see the BF OSD and SD Card.

One thing I would LOVE to see would be a "pro" cable set (additional cost of course) with a complete set of connectors, including the PDB harness, using silicon wire.
Do you need extra wires?
Latest blog entry: BeeRotor BLS20A used DSHOT
Apr 27, 2017, 03:45 PM
it's more that I'd like the option for silicon wires because they are much nicer to work with, especially on tight builds, I really dislike the stiff PVC wires where the insulation melts if it even sees the soldering iron coming

It's a minor thing, I'll be buying the Beerotor F4 regardless, my recent experience with an Omnibus F3 AIO Pro reminded me just how solidly designed and made the Beerotor controllers are.
Apr 29, 2017, 04:29 AM
+1 for the silicone wire

The manual link isn't working:
http://rctimer.com/download/BeeRotorF4Manual.pdf

I tried to configure soft serial todaz but this isn't working either? The feature "soft serial" has been enable in the Betaflight configuration tab, but the ports tab doesn't show soft serial ports, altough the device has been rebooted and soft serial still is enabled under the configuration tab ... any ideas?
Apr 29, 2017, 04:55 AM
Well, according to the mini manual paper that came with the fc there doesn't seem to exist softserial ports?
I tried to configure UART3 for my x4r telemetry and reconfigured my connectors according to the "manual" (from before SC to SB, Pin 3 and 4), but there is no telemetry data coming in. UART3 hast been set to SmartPort Telemetry of course.
Apr 29, 2017, 05:19 PM
I see soft serial is not enabled in the BEEROTORF4 betaflight target, I just saw a blog post about this issue where other F4 boards also released initially with no soft serial support but added it back, hopefully this is something rctimer can do also?

Could the telemetry issue be related to the hardware inverter? Do you have to use a particular pin for that?
Apr 29, 2017, 11:55 PM
Quote:
I see soft serial is not enabled in the BEEROTORF4 betaflight target, I just saw a blog post about this issue where other F4 boards also released initially with no soft serial support but added it back, hopefully this is something rctimer can do also?
+1 That would be nice

Although I think I could come away with 3 hardware uarts (SBUS, Telemtry (if working), TBS Unify Smart Audio).

Quote:
Could the telemetry issue be related to the hardware inverter? Do you have to use a particular pin for that?
That's a very good idea! This might be it, since there is a telemetry inversion command in betaflight. I will give it a try.
Before I used the SoftSerial 1 RX and TX Pins. Both had to be connected to the smart port cable on the receiver (X4RSB). Since there is no smart port, I simply moved the 2 cable to the free UART3 pins which are on the same connector as the SBUS (UART2).

The inversion idea might do the job, will try and report back ;-)
Apr 30, 2017, 01:55 PM
Changing the betaflight parameter "tlm_inversion" (before telemetry_inversion) from on to off didn't do the job unfortunately :-(