A damaged used engine I recently purchased, - RC Groups
Apr 19, 2017, 06:46 PM
Discussion

A damaged used engine I recently purchased,

I purchased this OS 61 FSR a while ago. I had purchased other engines from this same gentleman with good outcomes. He said he had run this engine before he sent it and indeed I do believe it may have run. Looking into the exhaust port I noticed gouges in the top of the piston. What amazes me is that I inspected the cylinder liner and it looks undamaged. The top of the piston looks pitted and almost concave slightly. Like a bowl. I have not cleaned any of these parts, that is how they came out of the engine. I think it was run way too lean and possible started to melt the piston crown. One thing I neglected to photograph was the top of the cylinder head and glow plug that looks charred black. As you can see from the photos when I pulled the cylinder head the cylinder liner came out with it. It is seized to it, I have spent some time trying to separate them with no success. The bottom end of the engine looks fine, the bearings are smooth. Just some castor residue that needs to be cleaned up. Don't know whether to bother trying to get a replacement..
to remove ads between posts
Apr 19, 2017, 06:54 PM

Damaged OS

You will probably find the pin that stops the ring from moving around is missing and the culprit that caused all the damage. Os parts are really expensive. I would offer it up as a parts engine to anyone that needs a good crankcase. This pin usually leaves a ding in the cylinder when it leaves the exhaust port.

Kip
Apr 19, 2017, 08:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kip51035
You will probably find the pin that stops the ring from moving around is missing and the culprit that caused all the damage. Os parts are really expensive. I would offer it up as a parts engine to anyone that needs a good crankcase. This pin usually leaves a ding in the cylinder when it leaves the exhaust port.

Kip
Looking at the ring with the naked eye I could not see the pin nor even a gap. I used a 10X jewelers loop and I found the gap but NO pin. Did the pin cause the damage or did the damage cause the pin to come out?
Apr 19, 2017, 08:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kip51035

Kip
If you open the sixth picture and select it and zoom in you can see the gap in the ring at the top of the piston...
Apr 19, 2017, 08:43 PM
Engine Frankensteinerô
Looks like it was run HARD and lean. The piston is toast for sure.

I have been under the impression the 61FSR was not ringed and the 60FSR was ringed. The 60FSR had a chrome plated steel liner where the 61FSR had a brass liner and nickel plating. You'll want to make sure you get the right parts if you choose to repair it. If it's a 60, good luck finding parts. The rear bearing alone is $20.
Apr 19, 2017, 11:06 PM
That a-hole ripped u off . The damage would have been evident looking through the exhaust port . Do what u can to try and get your $ back .
Apr 19, 2017, 11:12 PM
Scott
Serious detonation damage. Piston and ring are done. If you can find parts it will be easy to fix. Check the rod and crankpin closely, that kind of detonation usually hammers the big end of the rod.

Scott
Apr 19, 2017, 11:41 PM
I'm wondering if it wasn't run with power on the glow plug. One, it stayed lit to self destruct, two, that would increase the timing causing more detonation and higher heat.
Apr 19, 2017, 11:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by the pope
That a-hole ripped u off . The damage would have been evident looking through the exhaust port . Do what u can to try and get your $ back .
He isn't part of RCGROUPS and I paid by check so don't think much I can do but contact him and see if he will work with me..

The reason I tore it apart was exactly as you said. I saw the damage through the exhaust port...
Apr 19, 2017, 11:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pylonracr
Serious detonation damage. Piston and ring are done. If you can find parts it will be easy to fix. Check the rod and crankpin closely, that kind of detonation usually hammers the big end of the rod.

Scott
I could not discern any notable play by hand. Visual inspection shows no damage by naked eye. Not sure what else I can do to check it.
Last edited by kablake; Apr 20, 2017 at 10:01 PM.
Apr 19, 2017, 11:59 PM
Now I will say.... .I have purchased several engines from RCGROUPS and I am very happy with them.. Everyone of them with photos except this one. This particular posting was posted by a friend of the seller who was older and "computer illiterate" and did not have photos who apparently was asked by a widow of his friend to liquidate her husbands collection (that was a mouthful). I contacted the real seller before purchasing several engines from him and got 2 very nice OS .61 SF ringed engines that I am very happy with. The FSR is THE exception when it comes to engines I have purchased on this page.

I just bought a VERY nice Saito FA-100 NIB, never run, for roughly 1/2 new price.

So yeah I know there are risks. My fault to trust an older gentleman who cannot post photos of his engines that he never owned. And as I said, 2 others I bought from him are in great shape...
Apr 20, 2017, 12:26 AM
I think if who ever was capable of running it before the sale was also capable of seeing that damage . If your happy overall thats the main thing and who are we to argue . Maybe a heads up as to who it is so the rest of us can make an informed decision on any future sales . I have zero tolerence for getting ripped and I will fight to the death over it . To me its the princible not so much the $ value . Funny how in another thread I was shite canned ( maybe too strong a term ) for saying that I wont buy engines unless there n.i.b. or I can personally check em out or know the owner . Since then a few tales of woe have surfaced . Good buy on the saito . 1/2 price is what I would aim for remembering theres no manufacturers warrenty . Cheers
Apr 20, 2017, 12:33 AM
The Seller is at fault. It is clearly seriously damaged. New P/L set required. Would ASP .61 parts fit?
Apr 20, 2017, 07:17 AM
The 61 FSR ring does not appear to be notched for a locating pin. Unless the cylinder is scratched deeply a new ring would fix it up, the bottom of the ring groove looks pretty good, the top does not matter so much. I have a piston in my SuperTigre 4500 that looks a whole lot worse than that one and it has zero leak down when slow flipped and using a Bowman replacement ring.

OSMG7796
Piston Ring .60-.61
Last edited by I TOBOR; Apr 20, 2017 at 07:31 AM.
Apr 20, 2017, 07:33 AM
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...3404%3C%2Fb%3E

That particular ring is in stock at Tower.