Apr 19, 2017, 02:14 PM
Discussion

Elmer's foam board vs Depron

Has anyone ever used Elmer's foam board in place of depron?

Thanks
to remove ads between posts
Apr 19, 2017, 05:53 PM
I have done just that with Ross foam board from Walmart. Just peel off the skins and the bare foam acts just like depron. Although just a bit heavier.

Lynn E. Hanover
Apr 20, 2017, 09:05 AM
Laughs at un-boxing videos...
Have use the Elmers board because I wanted black. The paper was removable although had to be soaked. To get the last bit of paper off I used a kitchen plastic scrubber pad. No plans of buying any more.
Apr 20, 2017, 06:30 PM
Retired CAD guy
A hem ???

Umm there is no more depron so Why the question.
Depron makers withdrew from the Hobby market to service only the Insulation market in EU.

Model Plane Foam is our only alternative.
It's USA made.
It's very close to Depron characteristics and it's in 2'x4' format.
The only down side is that it's not available "currently" in 3mm.

I use MPF exclusively now.
I have retooled everything I make to use MPF.

I am NOT a MFP owner I just use it becaue it is what is available and it is Good Stuff.

BOB
Hoosier Cutout Service
Apr 20, 2017, 09:19 PM
Scratch builder
Elmer's is not the best choice if you want just foam. (no paper)

The paper on Adams foam board is much easier to remove,

Since Depron has no paper, I'm assuming that is what you seek?
Apr 20, 2017, 10:10 PM
Set your Foam cutter up to slice your own Extruded polystyrene foam into the thickness you desire.
That's basically how MP foam is mfg'd.
Bit of a pain to do..but low priced and No shipping charges.
Adams board is available at Michael's and at 1$ stores.. although the supply can be spotty.
Apr 21, 2017, 03:25 AM
Where did that tree come from?
Birdofplay, depron seems to be back in the hobby market. Current listing on their website: http://depronfoam.com/product-category/depron-aero/
Apr 21, 2017, 05:55 PM
You sabotaged my plane.
Quote:
Originally Posted by xidkid
Birdofplay, depron seems to be back in the hobby market. Current listing on their website: http://depronfoam.com/product-category/depron-aero/

Until someone orders from them there is no way to know if these sheets are the same as what RCfoam was receiving. The problem was not getting the foam, the issue was getting flat foam suitable for the market. That's why RCfoam pulled out in the North American market. This company appears to be out the the UK. There is no reason to believe that the manufacturer would supply this company with good foam when they couldn't guarantee quality for anyone else.
Apr 21, 2017, 06:20 PM
Where did that tree come from?
I wasn't aware of the quality issues with depron. Just pointing out that thay hadn't actually withdrawn from the market. BTW, depronfoam.com is the actual manufacturer's website, not a reseller. It's a shame they couldn't supply a quality product to the hobby market. And big kudos to the folks at Model Plane Foam for working with R.L.Adams to produce a good alternative at a lower cost. Personally, I stopped using depron several years ago mainly due to the cost. Lately I've been using Adams Readi Board (DTFB) and Flite Test building techniques. Not saying one product or another is better, just works well for me.
Apr 24, 2017, 08:14 AM
You sabotaged my plane.
Quote:
Originally Posted by xidkid
Just contacted them, they do not ship to the US.
Apr 24, 2017, 04:00 PM
Short bursts, Don't waste ammo
Well that answers that question about shipping here. Has anyone tried slicing Dollar Tree (Adams Ready Board) foam to get 3mm thicknesses?
Apr 24, 2017, 06:55 PM
Still buying Depron in the UK. 50ish quid for 20 sheets. I've not noticed any degradation in quality.

Having said that if I lived in the US I'd buy MPF
Apr 24, 2017, 08:44 PM
You sabotaged my plane.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCAV8R1964
Well that answers that question about shipping here. Has anyone tried slicing Dollar Tree (Adams Ready Board) foam to get 3mm thicknesses?
Contact Mike at Model plane foam. http://www.modelplanefoam.com/ They were working on getting some 3mm.
Apr 24, 2017, 09:14 PM
Short bursts, Don't waste ammo
Thanks! Will do!