33rd Annual Mid-America Electric Flies, July 8&9, Southeastern, MI - RC Groups
Apr 19, 2017, 11:42 AM
Discussion

33rd Annual Mid-America Electric Flies, July 8&9, Southeastern, MI

Keith Shaw and Ken Myers, the contest directors, are proud announce the 33rd Annual Mid-America Electric Flies.

This is a laid back, two day event for electrically powered models. Guest fliers come from many Midwestern States and Canada to demonstrate their latest creations and to have a good time flying with new and old friends.

The Saturday evening potluck is a continuing highlight of the event.

The event is hosted at the Midwest RC Society 7 Mile Rd. Flying Field in Salem Township, MI.
http://www.midwestrcsociety.org

Field Map and Local Hotel List
http://www.theampeer.org/map-hotels.pdf

We are proud to announce a new category and event to this year's schedule.

New Events for this year for NCM (Not Conventional Materials) aircraft.

Traditionally, model aircraft airframes have been mostly constructed from balsa wood, plywood, composites and fiberglass. For the purposes of this meet, NCM airframes are mostly constructed from not conventional materials i.e.; sheet foam, foam board, cardboard, block foam, foam insulation material, etc.

Foam Flurry for NCM aircraft: This will be a true event. It is based upon the all up/last down event of early electric meets. Any NCM aircraft may be used (no ARF types). Power systems are limited to a maximum of 3S (no paralleling) LiPo batteries or 4S maximum, no paralleling, A123 packs. All planes qualifying for this event will launch at the same time, and the last one to land will be declared the winner.

Most Unique NCM Aircraft Award: A new award will be given on Sunday to an aircraft in the NCM category that is judged as 'most unique' by the Mid-Am panel of judges.

Event Flyer
http://www.theampeer.org/flyer.pdf

A review of last year’s event can be found in the August 2016 Ampeer.
http://www.theampeer.org/ampeer/ampaug16/ampaug16.htm

We hope you can join us this year,
Keith and Ken
to remove ads between posts
May 10, 2017, 05:41 AM
A few items for the pilots' raffle started arriving this week.

Hope to see many of you soon.
May 10, 2017, 12:24 PM
Stevephoon
I am looking foreword to this! Ken and Keith always run a great event. The quality of all of the planes is outstanding. Many unique and custom planes are always present. Everyone is always friendly, helpful, informative... You should attend if you can!

I do have a FFF MachNone I built a couple of years back that I could use for the NCM events. Not sure about duration flying with it... but it handles high winds well, so if that happens it could do OK.

Steve
Jun 10, 2017, 03:08 PM
Getting things ready. Have the dining canopy, chairs and tables ordered.

Not too much flying here in southeastern MI recently. It has been too windy, and not it is too darn hot.

Oh well, it'll be what it'll be.
Jun 24, 2017, 09:08 AM

New Attraction for the 2017 Mid-Am

There will be a Bring and Sell area (ie. open air swap) set aside for folks with items to sell at the 2017 Mid-America Electric Flies. This area will be active on both days of the event. The area will also include a “Priceless Sale” area, hosted by Pete Waters. The priceless items include much of Jimmy Northmore’s RC related items and planes as well as those of Bruce Ferns. All of the proceeds of the “Priceless Sale” go directly to the Midwest RC Society, the club whose flying field is being used for the event.

If you have items for sale, bring ‘em along. Also, if you wish to donate more items to the “Priceless Sale” area, please feel free to do so.

Time: Concurrent with the meet times both days.
Last edited by Ken Myers; Jun 24, 2017 at 09:28 AM. Reason: forgot to note swap time
Jun 30, 2017, 09:25 AM
Gravity sucks.
If I have stuff to sell but want to fly too, hows that work?

I have a couple sets of Pharaoh plans to donate for prizes.

Most of my birds are ready to go. Hoped to get Trishula flown again before but I agree, weathers been iffy.
Jun 30, 2017, 10:55 AM
Mark,

You call 'sell' stuff right where you are flying. No problem. Hopefully you'll get as many 'eyes' on your stuff as those in the 'tailgate' area.
Can't believe that we'll be setting up the stuff for the Mid-Am in a week now.
Thanks, as ALWAYS for copies of your great plans. They are a great addition to the pilots' raffle.
Jun 30, 2017, 11:48 AM
Gravity sucks.
Cool. Im going to go through some stuff and see what I can part with.

No problem with the plans.
Jul 05, 2017, 05:51 AM
Wanted for breaking Ohm's Law
....Getting close now!......only a few days to fly and catch up with friends......
Jul 06, 2017, 11:33 AM
Finishing up some MidAm stuff this morning and starting to load the car for set up tomorrow morning. Always and exciting time.

Hope to see ya all soon,
Ken
Jul 06, 2017, 01:03 PM
Gravity sucks.
Weathers looking perfect...77 Sat, 80 Sun.
Jul 06, 2017, 01:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrittinger
Weathers looking perfect...77 Sat, 80 Sun.
Ken and Keith are ordering the weather from the same place Dave Grife orders his......
Jul 06, 2017, 01:20 PM
Gravity sucks.
Amazon? Lol
Looks like a good weekend and not blistering hot.
Are you bringing your 51 on Sat?
Jul 06, 2017, 02:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrittinger
Amazon? Lol
Looks like a good weekend and not blistering hot.
Are you bringing your 51 on Sat?
Planning on it.....just need to figure out how to pack the car!......the Monocoupe is assembled as well as my Avanti S.....Acrostar in front seat.....
Jul 06, 2017, 11:13 PM
I am SOOOO looking forward to this event. Last day of vacation time so I should be able to show up early on Friday for setup.

I just finished a project I started for our club's special C/L Fun Day, a KK Champ. Electric and with an R/C receiver and ESC so it counts, right?!