Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Apr 20, 2017, 11:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by danlatu
multigp rules. I run 4s class with a 5" prop at 210mm frame. If you go and sign up, you can connect with your local chapter and watch a race or fun fly this weekend I bet. Bring a pen and paper and a camera and ask lots of questions. youtube is a great resource in learning what ftdi adapters and laforge and what goes where. google (hit space bar) rcgroups is also a great way to learn. I raced 1/8 rc and helicopters and airplanes. NOTHING compares to fpv racing. My heart feels like it's going to burst out of my chest every time I fly. Its like when your in love with that girl for the first couple of months thing, except it happens everytime I fly. I don't have to worry about flying off a mountain road in my 300xztt (old car)or falling down a rock garden in my 29er and wondering if this foam helmet will save my life. I stopped playing paintball and airsoft. Hell I don't even wanna get married now. I just wanna drink mountain dew, eat corn dogs and race my quad. I have to admit, I am a huge grumpy person when the weather is not to my quads liking. I get plenty of exercise chasing the quad when I crash.
It took me a couple of weeks to get in the air after I had my equipment when I first got into this, so don't expect this to be smooth. I've had my fare share of failures, waiting for parts, bad weather, etc. Tuning a naze32 (old outdated fc)was the gayest thing ever. Your lucky to get in now because the betaflight f3 fc (soft mounted)on a stock tune flies amazing. I have 20 graphene 4s 1300mah batteries because I like to fly. yeah 2-3 min run time sucks but thats where the battery technology stands as for now. I would love to fly 10min, I know its just not going to happen unless you wanna fpv a wing or your gasser.
Yea. I created a chapter on there since there isn't one within 3.5hrs of me. So maybe there are some teens and college students here at Murray State University that will see it and join.

So if I go ahead and get a bunch of Graphene batteries I won't be disappointed? I have some Lumenier batts now but was waiting on the new Falcore battery situation to play out before buying a large batch.

I will have to see if can find any that will fit the Falcore and if not then just get some for which ever frame I decide to build a fleet of at first since their physical size won't really matter on a standard quad.

That brings me to another question. For racing shouldn't the battery be located on the bottom unless the quad was designed for its Center of gravity for it to be on top way it lands right side up more often than not? Like when I watch Bulbufet (Nurk) fly he almost always lands right side up. He is one of my favorite (if not my favorite) racers based on his style and abilities. It looks like he has that Kratos on a string in tight corners. I have even thought about using his design as my first quad but just not educated enough to know if that would be a good idea style wise, weight wise, etc...
to remove ads between posts
Apr 20, 2017, 12:42 PM
Safe landings!
FTDI is just a small serial device, typically if you update firmware on devices(looots of software updates nowadays) there is a small chance you pick the wrong one or it has a glitch and you lose your USB/FC passthrough. If that happens you have to manually attach to the device with serial, or worse a C2 interface for ESCs. Here's the FTDI I use: https://www.readymaderc.com/store/in...oducts_id=5456

Joshua Bardwell has a ton of helpful youtube videos covering many aspects of quads. He has the most in depth battery review and comparison Ive seen, you can check out his research to help decide what batteries you want. The graphene ones tend to be heavier/pricier than normal but higher discharge rates without sag.

As far as content for OSDs, I'm not sure if this is what you meant, but the way they work for analog is the OSD device replaces pixels 1 by 1 on the video feed, so there is no limit to what can be added besides the pixel limit. If you meant integration into the FC, digital is better but unless I'm missing something I think you are waiting for a very niche market and may be disappointed at the participation level.

On the google search advice, type "site:rcgroups.com" without quotes and then your topic and you will only get results from this website. Works well to isolate your results
Last edited by Space Goast; Apr 20, 2017 at 12:48 PM.
Apr 20, 2017, 03:14 PM
battery on bottom is great because when you crash, the majority of the time you are going to land with the weight down right side up. This will enable you to fly away from a crash, but these dam cyclones like to bend and then just hit the arm. I have never had to use a ftdi adapter. Just a usb micro. I use google chrome with a betaflight and blheli suite for my updates. But if you are happy with the way your bird flies there is no need for an update. As far as batteries go. The graphenes I use are ok. my flying has changed a lot in the last couple of months and I honestly could use some more uuummmffff. those pandas put out 80c x 1.3ah = 104 amps continuous and 208amps burst. My buddy messed up/puffed all his lumenier graphene's so I would not recommend them. I t really depends on your rig/motors/prop/weight combo to know the limits of the aircraft. I could destroy any battery you give me by doing away with throttle management. That is why it is important to know what your osd (OnScreenDisplay) is telling you. joshua bardwell has a video on battery reviews. Punch out times etc
Drone Racing FPV LiPo Battery Comparison | GROUP FIVE RESULTS (23 min 20 sec)

Not all batteries are the same. Just because it says graphene does not mean that they are made the same. There is a thread regarding the graphene's I use. Some of my batteries past 30 cycles have degraded in performance a little but have not puffed, stay below 105 ash degree on hard punch out's, have not had any dead cells and balance charge everytime. Those are all the positives, the cons are heavy, and the 65c punch is ehhhh. The thunder power adrenaline are great but will not survive as well in a crash. My friend has killed two already.
Some people from delaware drive 3.5 hours to come fly with us here in maryland. I think you need at least 6 people to start a chapter, not sure. All I know is that it is a full time job and if your chapter gets big enough.
Well your in luck my friend Scott with DroneEclipse is moving to kentucky ( i googled murray unv,) I suggest you call him (916)705-9587
He sells the shiv and other great products. He is moving his store from ca because the government is taking to much taxes from small business. A lot of other business' have left for the same reason and I don't blame him. I left CA in 2008 because the economy had collapsed and there was no work.
I fly with a guy who uses the kratos(has two) and he loves it. The stretch frame is what is trending now claiming to have clean air and stability in turns. If your frame is too light it may be prone to breaking more than others. I do not recommend titanium/aluminum screws, they tend to shear off and then you won't be able to drill out the parts. I have to go fly now, bye bye.
Apr 20, 2017, 03:33 PM
Safe landings!
I will argue battery on top, because if you land hard on the battery on the bottom, they have a chance of bursting into flames and you lose your entire quad, or lots of it. So then you need protection for the battery or landing gear which is weight.

If the battery is on top it's also easier to get to. Ideally you would have the heaviest object closest to center of mass, but we all tend to put our FC and ESCs in the middle due to convenience of swapping batteries.
Apr 20, 2017, 05:46 PM
Battery on top gets hit when you pass an airgate/tree. Quad moving forward tilts forward. The faster you fly forward, the more tilt the quad is at. Go to a race event and watch the quads fly. full throttle 90 degree tilt. I do not know of many pilots that fly with the battery on top. That's why GoPro usually gets hit first then battery. My gopro mount is bright green or white, if you eject it, you will loose it. There is a free gopro session at the park i fly at if you can find it, not mine another drone pilot. I hit things so hard that the zip ties break(panduit metal barb zip ties/strong nylon, not abs plastic)No GoPro, battery gets hit. That's why I don't have antenna's sticking out of my quad. Less is more. As you can see in the video my range and video are still quite good. A clearview would be a must in a garage for the best signal, but thats last on my list. This video was me flying like a total retard, one broken prop in 10 packs. I average 2-5 props a week in damage if I fly everyday. Heavy clouds and rain cut my evening short today so I was rushed to fly.

x210 multigp tsunami crashing practice (5 min 26 sec)

I was killing my turning graphene 4s 1300mah in 1:30 seconds flying hard. I know I did not fly through them. I just wanted to see if the props/motor/lipo could get respectable numbers. I have a lot of work to put in.

MultiGP UTT 2 - Tsunami Run Time Trial (1 min 50 sec)

pro pilot Thomas from australia using turnigy graphene 4s 1300mah and depleting the battery in 1:30. he's running f40 (emax rs2306 2400kv/ similar thrust numbers) racekraft 5051. The gates are a little big but mad respect.
Last edited by danlatu; Apr 21, 2017 at 04:39 AM.
Apr 21, 2017, 06:54 AM
Yea. I follow Thomas. He's a great kid! I will do some more researching today. I ordered a Chameleon prebuilt yesterday as that was the only way to get some parts with it. I also talked with Nurk but am not certain he is still building BNF Kratos since he was basically linking me to a page listing parts from last year he used.

Maybe I can do 4 Kratos and 4 Chameleons is my thinking. Then go from there. They both handle great and once I'm good enough at flying then can worry about weight savings. Right now handling and pilot skills will be my best attributes to work up.
Apr 21, 2017, 07:32 AM
Ok. So here is a link to the Kratos parts that Nurk says are fine but could you all recommend any upgraded parts that will put it more up to date with the Chameleon I ordered, please?

http://rotorbuilds.com/build/1505

I would just like these to be basically new enough that once I have a bad enough crash that I'll be replacing parts with the same ones and not something newer atleast until all the parts are pretty much outdated.

I have three radios now. I ordered a TBS Tango with modules, an Evolution, and am tearing down my DX8 just to see if I can tell what is wrong with it. I also bought a bunch of RMRC Orange batteries and Storm batteries yesterday since they all fit the Falcore. I also bought two SpaceCowboy SCX HD drone frames and a micro Kratos lol. So I have everything except the Kratos ready. Just need a list of parts that will make a simple build.

Thanks everyone!
Apr 21, 2017, 03:20 PM
Those quads are perfect! Now for some fatshark hd3, laforge v2, laforge harness, runcam swift, Betaflight f3 fc, tbs unify race, emax rs2306 2400kv, racekraft 5051, spedix es 30a,
AXII antenna, micro news. I just gave a list of parts from vendors. Places I've ordered from. Have fun.
Apr 21, 2017, 04:43 PM
WOW! Alex

Thanks for opening this thread there's a lot of information here that could really help me out as well.

Thanks guys I will research and shop much appreciated.

P.S. let me know what you think about Space Cowboys frame I have two HD systems that I've done nothing with yet and I'm pretty much at your point... shopping trying to find something to build several of them and not worry about breaking and waiting.

Hey Mr. Steele just posted this.

Mr Steele's "Getting into FPV the Right way" (Setup/Lipos/Sims) (18 min 35 sec)
Apr 21, 2017, 05:41 PM
SnapShot you beat me to it. One of the lightest most powerful batteries! Heaviest OG 5" frame......
Apr 21, 2017, 05:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Goast
FTDI is just a small serial device, typically if you update firmware on devices(looots of software updates nowadays) there is a small chance you pick the wrong one or it has a glitch and you lose your USB/FC passthrough. If that happens you have to manually attach to the device with serial, or worse a C2 interface for ESCs. Here's the FTDI I use: https://www.readymaderc.com/store/in...oducts_id=5456

Gotcha! Thanks!

Joshua Bardwell has a ton of helpful youtube videos covering many aspects of quads. He has the most in depth battery review and comparison Ive seen, you can check out his research to help decide what batteries you want. The graphene ones tend to be heavier/pricier than normal but higher discharge rates without sag.

Yea I learn something every time I watch one of his vids. Very informative for sure!

As far as content for OSDs, I'm not sure if this is what you meant, but the way they work for analog is the OSD device replaces pixels 1 by 1 on the video feed, so there is no limit to what can be added besides the pixel limit. If you meant integration into the FC, digital is better but unless I'm missing something I think you are waiting for a very niche market and may be disappointed at the participation level.

Lol no what I'm more getting at with digital OSD in the future is it's ability to literally track each channel that is actually racing during each heat/race so there will be the ability for the race organizer to pick out what information the racers would like to see other than "their own" data. Like it could show who is behind you by their call sign or number or whatever. It could show the lap times of in various ways. It could even have a rear view mirror cam for those last lap moments when might be wanting to hold off someone on the last corner etc... there are just so many things that will be available that even thinking about all the options could be overwhelming lol. It will add more of the video game style of HUD/OSD which will make that adrenaline pumping realism even greater. All it will take is more companies to perfect the latency and consistency between connections in an all digital domain. It won't be long and between that and battery advancements those I feel will be the next big changes. Heck the Pearl's CPU already pretty much has the video game track layout stuff in the works. Just create a track on the onboard CPU and fly against others or time trials on an animated track. No broken parts from hitting gates or other track obstacles since it will all be in the digital domain. It can even add or deduct seconds for accomplishing bonuses throughout the race or for staying within boundries etc... Think of it more like that GoPro YouTube video of drone racing. That's what they are trying to do with the Pearl. That's quite a bit more advanced than what I was referring to with digital OSDs but still very kool and not too far away.

On the google search advice, type "site:rcgroups.com" without quotes and then your topic and you will only get results from this website. Works well to isolate your results
Thanks for that as I'm not very good at finding exact info during searches in general. That will help in many other areas on other forums.
Apr 21, 2017, 06:09 PM
Well, I've up and did it!!!!

My fleet is going to be Kratos new design and Chameleons. Nurk and I are working out my build details for two of the Kratos this month. And I ordered a Chameleon prebuilt then will build another and have Nurk build me a Kratos and a Chameleon for next month. So three Kratos and three Chameleons. One Chameleon built by Armattan, one by me, and one by Nurk. Then all three Kratos will be built by the man himself, Nurk!

So that will leave me the ability to try the TBS Crossfire system on the Tango with the third Kratos or Chameleon which I'm excited about.

I decided to have the first two Kratos to run on FrSky and Futaba. I'm ordering my first Futaba after talking with Nurk about it vs a JR. I've had issues with Spektrum so was kinda skeptical buying a JR but will most likely get one for one of the Chameleons soon just for testing.

Well I've gotta go get dinner for the family but more to come!!!

And many thanks for all the help guys! I'll keep my journey going since some are following along unless you all think I should start a new fleet thread?

Bests all
Alex
Apr 21, 2017, 06:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by danlatu
Those quads are perfect! Now for some fatshark hd3, laforge v2, laforge harness,

I bought $3000 worth of start up gear along with the Connex Falcore so I'm covered as far as HD3s, diversity, wide range of TBS antennas to try, some new soldering gear, helping hand kits, random battery parts, connectors, testers, cables, wires, foam tape, double sided tape, etc...etc....etc....lol I even searched until found the perfect laforge diversity FatShark doors only to find out when they came they now had the new real plastic doors with them. So yea I went way over board getting everything needed except for some except some pairs of cheaper goggles and antennas. I also need to get a good pair of true HD goggles but still up in the air on which I want since I wear glasses. I need to test out the little optic lenses I got for the FatSharks. Three other things I need other than trace equipment that I just haven't decided on yet are field soldering equipment, a large multi charger, and a larger power supply. I've gotten four pop up soccer nets that I need to rig up with LEDs then will most likely just buy a large LED racing gate set that I can add to over time. When I first got into DNano racing I bought a medium sized track and racing system. It didn't take long before I had added over 1200sqft of more track for tiny palm sized cars lol. So when I go out normally it's all or nothing which isn't nice on the wallet ;-) runcam swift, Betaflight f3 fc, tbs unify race, emax rs2306 2400kv, racekraft 5051, spedix es 30a,
AXII antenna, micro news. I just gave a list of parts from vendors. Places I've ordered from. Have fun.

Thanks for all the tips!!!!

Happy flying!

Bests
Alex
Apr 21, 2017, 07:17 PM
I'm really thinking about doing a super light build on the SpaceCowboy HD frame just for something different than these others.

Would a KISS setup be the easiest/best way to go for that? I would like at least 5s ability but 6s would be nice just for the heck of it.

Any short list for that quad?

Boards?
Motors?
3 blade props?
Connex VTX

Bests
Alex
Apr 22, 2017, 07:14 AM
SQUIRREL PATROL
5-6s?? Slow down bro. Learn to hover first, lols
Congrats on chameleon and kratos !!!