Apr 19, 2017, 11:07 AM
Discussion

Help build first racer please! New to hobby and getting my kids into it.

Hello all. Like the title states I'm a noob and get confused between all the electronics that support "this" or "that" and are compatible with "this" or "that". I do however understand most of what the basic parts do since I've been trying to research over the past month or so when have the extra time.

I bought a Connex Falcore for the children to get accustomed to the controls and I personally like the size of it so would like to build an Alien 5/6" Butter Kwad with all top of the line products. I don't mind spending any extra money for something that will help the quad perform consistently. Consistency is my main goal other than noise free electronics working in unison with one another.

Since I'm a noob I don't have a brand loyalty; although, I do have a Spektrum dx8 which I hate so am thinking about the TBS radio or a Futaba that accepts modules. The Taranis is slightly intimidating to me right now but could possibly get past that. And, the Turnigy Evolution is on my list since it is more of a thumber oriented transmitter which will work well for the kids with its smaller size. I will need 3-4 transmitters anyway so could just get one of each even though that kind of spreads out the rx options which would force me to use the transmitter dedicated to that setup if the transmitter doesn't accept a module.

I've read that the newer Spektrum modules aren't that great and have throttle issues so may need to just pony up the cash for one new dedicated Spektrum radio for Horizon Hobby/Spektrum quads, helis, and planes since I already have a Trainer plane and a few helis along with an Inductrix which my DX8 will not bind to. I'm just ready to throw it out the window honestly.

Ok. Back to the Aliens. These will be more for me than the kids but want them all to be exactly alike for consistency. The rx can be different obviously but that is it. These will be strictly for racing unless one of us just enjoys acro more than competing against one another on our property with tracks and timing system. I have enough space on our property to build a wide range of tracks to keep it interesting and have already started accumulating gates and flags even though my Falcore doesn't even have extra batteries to run yet since Connex completely blew that one. They don't have OEM batteries to buy or battery plates to purchase for any battery that fits its size design. So I've had a $800 paper weight for the past 2 weeks just begging to be used by the kids. That's why I'm here now for the most part.

That also leads to the Connex HD system. I'm not against using it at all if anyone knows of a way for it to be safely housed on an Alien. I have some other frames I've purchased just for experimenting that are purposely built to house the HD system but since not many will be able to give feedback on those frames they will be my little experiments most likely.

Any and all help on a parts list or a couple different parts list would be great! Clean, noise free, high power, but not too tourquey, something Tommy, Steele, or Bulbufet would gladly fly every day. Price is no concern. I have looked at the Crossfire stuff but am not educated enough to know if I should consider that either.

Sorry for such a long post but wanted to express my goals, wants, and needs as clearly as I could.

Bests!
Al
to remove ads between posts
Apr 19, 2017, 11:34 PM
“I bought a Connex Falcore for the children to get accustomed to the controls and I personally like the size of it”

DO SIMULATORS FIRST!!!
My Suggestions in order of best to so... so…
So far from what I have heard is the FPV Event has been the most realistic in feel from top pilots… and it is actual racing courses.
FPV Event – now Rotor Rush - http://www.dronesimulation.co.uk/

Liftoff I just can’t seem to get the feel – it is like it is tooooooo loose in the controls, but hey I’m new at this too. Try them all out DEMO’s first though… before you decide to buy.
http://www.liftoff-game.com/

There are DEMOs for these – just do a search
https://fpv-freerider.itch.io/
https://thedroneracingleague.com/simulator/
https://www.velocidrone.com/
http://www.hotprops-fpv-race.com/home/
https://rotorcross.itch.io/rotorcross

SIM training from Joshua Bardwell -
How To Fly An FPV Multirotor - Lesson 1 - Managing Altitude In Hover (6 min 0 sec)

I have yet to fly my Falcore, but many things that I have been reading is to learn LOS (Line Of Sight) first before doing FPV and the Shield mode on the Falcore is not really LOS, but a good start for fun and control feeling.

LOS – Begginer -
How to fly Line Of Sight : Acro Tutorial Part 1 (13 min 29 sec)

AWESOME LOS VIDEO -
INSANE LOS flying - Pilot Oka Nakafumi - Quadcopter Freestyle GOD! (3 min 40 sec)

QUADMOVR -
movr5r1 t2 2600kv 5x4x4 v1s hqprop kiss cc 4s1300 75c (2 min 35 sec)
– new KISS parts AIO V2

“so would like to build an Alien 5/6" Butter Kwad with all top of the line products. I don't mind spending any extra money for something that will help the quad perform consistently. Consistency is my main goal other than noise free electronics working in unison with one another.”

I am going to guess that you know of Mr. Steele and Chad Nowak – They both fly 5 inch Aliens and Mr. Steele has had his for 8 months or more with no upgrade in components and consistently states the consistency that he enjoys with his Alien and KISS parts.
http://store.rotorriot.com/
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCem...mjP8ucHR2YY7hw
Mr. Steele - https://www.youtube.com/user/MrSteeledavis
Chad Nowak - https://www.youtube.com/user/FinalGlideAus
Alien Build -
Impulse RC Alien RR5 & RR6 Build (1 hr 5 min 6 sec)

KISS AIO CC -
Building a mini brushless quad with the KISS CompactCTRL AIO flight controller (25 min 19 sec)

“Since I'm a noob I don't have a brand loyalty; although, I do have a Spektrum dx8 which I hate so am thinking about the TBS radio or a Futaba that accepts modules. The Taranis is slightly intimidating to me right now but could possibly get past that. And, the Turnigy Evolution is on my list since it is more of a thumber oriented transmitter which will work well for the kids with its smaller size. I will need 3-4 transmitters anyway so could just get one of each even though that kind of spreads out the rx options which would force me to use the transmitter dedicated to that setup if the transmitter doesn't accept a module.”

Taranis X9D Plus – really the best… intimidating? it is different – watch this to learn more.
(2/12) FrSky TARANIS Radio - Introduction to TARANIS model setup basics (19 min 38 sec)

Gimbal upgrade -
Taranis Gimbal Mod | Flite Test (13 min 36 sec)

Reason for the upgrade -
FrSky Taranis Hall Effect Gimbals | NOW AVAILABLE (6 min 10 sec)

Taranis QX7 – they may have the gimbal upgrade soon.
(1/1) Taranis Q X7 Radio: Tips for setting up a new radio (from Banggood.com) (13 min 58 sec)

Evolution
Review -
WHAT IS BETTER? Turnigy Evolution Vs FrSky Taranis. REVIEW Turnigy Evolution radio review (18 min 14 sec)

TBS TANGO
Review –
TBS Tango Review - TANGO VS TARANIS: (20 min 0 sec)

Mattystuntz -
TBS Tango First Flight - 5S-FPV-DRONES-AERIAL CINEMATOGRAPHY (1 min 43 sec)

I have the X9D Plus with the gimbal upgrade. I want the QX7, TBS Tango, Evolution to try how it feels in my hands to decide it I want to do thumbs or pinching and maybe switch because of that alone - if it feels good in your hands then you probably with be more relaxed when flying - especially when racing.

I don’t know for sure, but I believe that when you use modules that you add in latency, how much I don’t know or if that is true for all modules/controllers. I have a Spektrum module kit I built for my Atom V2 & V3 and what I was told is that it has no latency, because it is an actual Spektrum module component from a controller with added components to make it work like a module.

"I've read that the newer Spektrum modules aren't that great and have throttle issues so may need to just pony up the cash for one new dedicated Spektrum radio for Horizon Hobby/Spektrum quads, helis, and planes since I already have a Trainer plane and a few helis along with an Inductrix which my DX8 will not bind to. I'm just ready to throw it out the window honestly."

Probably get the big boy - https://www.spektrumrc.com/Air/Radios.aspx

“Ok. Back to the Aliens. These will be more for me than the kids but want them all to be exactly alike for consistency. The rx can be different obviously but that is it. These will be strictly for racing unless one of us just enjoys acro more than competing against one another on our property with tracks and timing system. I have enough space on our property to build a wide range of tracks to keep it interesting and have already started accumulating gates and flags even though my Falcore doesn't even have extra batteries to run yet since Connex completely blew that one. They don't have OEM batteries to buy or battery plates to purchase for any battery that fits its size design. So I've had a $800 paper weight for the past 2 weeks just begging to be used by the kids. That's why I'm here now for the most part.”

See top reply and links.

“That also leads to the Connex HD system. I'm not against using it at all if anyone knows of a way for it to be safely housed on an Alien. I have some other frames I've purchased just for experimenting that are purposely built to house the HD system but since not many will be able to give feedback on those frames they will be my little experiments most likely.”

I have the Pro Sight system as well, but have not done a build yet… trying to figure out how to cancel out the VTx on existing components so when powering on I don’t fry my components since the Prosight is just a power connection only. (don’t power on your quad without an antenna – something might begin to smell like smoke or damage that you can’t see)

“Any and all help on a parts list or a couple different parts list would be great! Clean, noise free, high power, but not too tourquey, something Tommy, Steele, or Bulbufet would gladly fly every day. Price is no concern. I have looked at the Crossfire stuff but am not educated enough to know if I should consider that either.”

Mr. Steele in the Quad Talk Podcast is hinting that he will be having a build kit of his own soon. Plus he talks about KISS and the benefits.
Podcast -
Episode 74 - Mr Steele is Back (1 hr 33 min 6 sec)

Sorry for such a long post but wanted to express my goals, wants, and needs as clearly as I could.

Bests!
Al

Good Luck Al!
Derrick – Snapshot Hotshot
Apr 19, 2017, 11:48 PM
SQUIRREL PATROL
Are you willing to adopt me
Apr 20, 2017, 01:17 AM
I'm not sure where you live, but you can sign up to multigp and go watch other racers fly in your area. This will give you an idea about the equipment people use. They have fun fly's were you can learn have fun and fly. Bring your goggles and watch other pilots fly while your waiting for your next race. The gear is changing fast. From motors, props, flight controllers, frames, etc. I suggest you build and not buy your quad, so you can learn how to fix and troubleshoot. People are very friendly in this community, so don't be shy if you have any questions. I have been flying for a year now and it is a huge addiction.
Buy a taranis and drl sim it.
Buy the correct gear once and it will save you a ton of money and heartache. Be prepared to fix things when you crash as well. Two weeks ago I was flying @ 60 degree camera tilt and hit a steel pole destroying a foxxer arrow 3 camera and a betaflight f3 fc and that was 80$+ gone. I like to order things from piro and drone eclipse for some fast shipping. I also suggest that you don't put all your eggs in one basket. A fully kissed alien(not a racing quad) will set you back 800$ and when you crash for the day and break something, you are done. Kiss = Keep It Smoking Stupid. Kiss esc's like to catch on fire. Alien parts are made in australia and will take forever to get here plus expensive shipping. Example; my friend and I had a head on collision and he broke a camera plate, two weeks later....... parts came. uhhhh no thank you. I personally have 3 fully built race quads and when one goes down, I pull another one out and all the flight controller settings and quads all mirrored to my taranis. Buy spare motors, bells, esc's camera's etc. Lighter is better for racing. Gopro session with a best buy warranty, I've killed 4 camera's and bestbuy has replaced all of them with 2.5 years left on the warranty
Buy more than one quad. Have fun and be safe, these are not toys. This should be used with extreme (parental) caution. I've cut myself with my quad and the props are sharp as hell spinning @ 30,000rpm. You will have more fun with time in the air than on the ground. You will become a better pilot with more flying time.
All of this is subjective and trying to put you in the right direction. Racing is very competitive and setups will change due to flying style, trends, and what ever secret sauce these guys are sprinkling on their racing drones. rcgroups was confusing the first 3 months of reading and seeing the cult like following in the alien thread, I don't get it?????? The helix looks cool but to fragile for me. I crash a lot and don't have the time for proprietary products.
rotorbuilds.com is a great website to see in detail what people are using.
rd210 gopro session 5 1080 90fps low light (2 min 3 sec)

rd210 heavy carrying a gopro. Like an alien but 100$ cheaper. 30 degree camera tilt.
Qav-x qavx clone tpu pod (2 min 48 sec)

x210 pod. I had some better flight footage but dvr on the fatshark is retarded. 45 degree camera tilt.
60 degree camera tilt is what I'm flying now (not in video) and it is stupid fast hard to control.
Last edited by danlatu; Apr 20, 2017 at 07:44 AM.
Apr 20, 2017, 06:21 AM
PROVOKING THE DEVIL : FPV FIRE DANCE (5 min 40 sec)
kiss fire @ 3:15
Swinging Gold (3 min 34 sec)
I like this video
FPV Meets Giant Scale 3D Joe Nall 2016 (3 min 50 sec)
another
Can't touch it (4 min 29 sec)
this guy quit his job and flies full-time, 100 packs a day.
Last edited by danlatu; Apr 20, 2017 at 06:32 AM.
Apr 20, 2017, 07:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by danlatu
I'm not sure where you live, but you can sign up to multigp and go watch other racers fly in your area. This will give you an idea about the equipment people use. They have fun fly's were you can learn have fun and fly. Bring your goggles and watch other pilots fly while your waiting for your next race. The gear is changing fast. From motors, props, flight controllers, frames, etc. I suggest you build and not buy your quad, so you can learn how to fix and troubleshoot. People are very friendly in this community, so don't be shy if you have any questions. I have been flying for a year now and it is a huge addiction.
Buy a taranis and drl sim it.
Buy the correct gear once and it will save you a ton of money and heartache. Be prepared to fix things when you crash as well. Two weeks ago I was flying @ 60 degree camera tilt and hit a steel pole destroying a foxxer arrow 3 camera and a betaflight f3 fc and that was 80$+ gone. I like to order things from piro and drone eclipse for some fast shipping. I also suggest that you don't put all your eggs in one basket. A fully kissed alien(not a racing quad) will set you back 800$ and when you crash for the day and break something, you are done. Kiss = Keep It Smoking Stupid. Kiss esc's like to catch on fire. Alien parts are made in australia and will take forever to get here plus expensive shipping. Example; my friend and I had a head on collision and he broke a camera plate, two weeks later....... parts came. uhhhh no thank you. I personally have 3 fully built race quads and when one goes down, I pull another one out and all the flight controller settings and quads all mirrored to my taranis. Buy spare motors, bells, esc's camera's etc. Lighter is better for racing. Gopro session with a best buy warranty, I've killed 4 camera's and bestbuy has replaced all of them with 2.5 years left on the warranty
Buy more than one quad. Have fun and be safe, these are not toys. This should be used with extreme (parental) caution. I've cut myself with my quad and the props are sharp as hell spinning @ 30,000rpm. You will have more fun with time in the air than on the ground. You will become a better pilot with more flying time.
All of this is subjective and trying to put you in the right direction. Racing is very competitive and setups will change due to flying style, trends, and what ever secret sauce these guys are sprinkling on their racing drones. rcgroups was confusing the first 3 months of reading and seeing the cult like following in the alien thread, I don't get it?????? The helix looks cool but to fragile for me. I crash a lot and don't have the time for proprietary products.
rotorbuilds.com is a great website to see in detail what people are using.
https://youtu.be/x9l47BDrHCw
rd210 heavy carrying a gopro. Like an alien but 100$ cheaper. 30 degree camera tilt.
https://youtu.be/C58UP3DsKf0
x210 pod. I had some better flight footage but dvr on the fatshark is retarded. 45 degree camera tilt.
60 degree camera tilt is what I'm flying now (not in video) and it is stupid fast hard to control.
Yea I agree with most all of that but didn't realize KISS was prone to issues.

I wouldn't be worried about the replacement parts coming from over seas as I would just buy a couple extra full kits per Alien and keep the spares quantity up to date. I've just seen that frame go through a ton of crap. I also like the Kratos design too so not really stuck on an Alien just figured it would be the easiest to keep spares in the box and build equally.

Have you noticed any difference in flight times with the Graphene batteries?

Thanks for the tips!

Bests
Al
Apr 20, 2017, 07:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by inap
Are you willing to adopt me
Do you really take naps? ;-)
Apr 20, 2017, 08:23 AM
The x210 can fly up to 6min cruising with no punch outs. If I'm punching it, I can kill the battery in 1:30 -2:30min. The average race lasts about 2 min. My friend that I race practice with daily has emax rs2306 2400kv 4s 1550mah tattu lipo's and can kill a battery in 1:30 because he is on the throttle too much. Battery technology is the weak link in this hobby @ the moment. He is flying a xhover r5lx and he has been flying @ 60 degree camera angle for a little bit more time than me. He used to run kiss and now is running the emax bullet 30amp esc's with dshot600. The betaflight f3 fc is really nice, osd mpu6000 voltage, current sensor ability to change your vtx channels and pids through your transmitter/osd is pretty sweet. The dys f4 fc looks pretty sweet as well but not tested by me. I have hit tree trunks, my truck, that white steel poll in the video. I have destroyed x2 x210 frames and x1 arm on the rd210 with hundreds of flights like the ones in the video I posted. These quads are really durable. The aluminum screws on the alien will also shear off in a crash. 144.3 grams for a frame is retarded. The frame is dated and would be my last choice. People are moving away from a pdb (power distribution board).
I recommend the shiv fast replacement parts and outstanding price. or the chameleon as an acro gopro platform. (click on the blue for hyperlink)
the xhover r5lx can also carry a gopro and is 82grams.
watch this race. notice how fast he is flying. He ran out of battery and was in trouble. That connex system weighs too much. Lighter is better, power to weight ratio. The whole 4" quad revolution that catalyst machine thread is an interesting read. When brother hobby releases the 1608 motor on that frame or a hyperfloss is going to be interesting to watch. I'm stuck with 5" for now with more motor and prop choices.

An Exciting Race (7 min 35 sec)
Last edited by danlatu; Apr 20, 2017 at 09:12 AM.
Apr 20, 2017, 10:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by danlatu
The x210 can fly up to 6min cruising with no punch outs. If I'm punching it, I can kill the battery in 1:30 -2:30min. The average race lasts about 2 min. My friend that I race practice with daily has emax rs2306 2400kv 4s 1550mah tattu lipo's and can kill a battery in 1:30 because he is on the throttle too much. Battery technology is the weak link in this hobby @ the moment. He is flying a xhover r5lx and he has been flying @ 60 degree camera angle for a little bit more time than me. He used to run kiss and now is running the emax bullet 30amp esc's with dshot600. The betaflight f3 fc is really nice, osd mpu6000 voltage, current sensor ability to change your vtx channels and pids through your transmitter/osd is pretty sweet. The dys f4 fc looks pretty sweet as well but not tested by me. I have hit tree trunks, my truck, that white steel poll in the video. I have destroyed x2 x210 frames and x1 arm on the rd210 with hundreds of flights like the ones in the video I posted. These quads are really durable. The aluminum screws on the alien will also shear off in a crash. 144.3 grams for a frame is retarded. The frame is dated and would be my last choice. People are moving away from a pdb (power distribution board).
I recommend the shiv fast replacement parts and outstanding price. or the chameleon as an acro gopro platform. (click on the blue for hyperlink)
the xhover r5lx can also carry a gopro and is 82grams.
watch this race. notice how fast he is flying. He ran out of battery and was in trouble. That connex system weighs too much. Lighter is better, power to weight ratio. The whole 4" quad revolution that catalyst machine thread is an interesting read. When brother hobby releases the 1608 motor on that frame or a hyperfloss is going to be interesting to watch. I'm stuck with 5" for now with more motor and prop choices.

https://youtu.be/jIuGdaOzwPA
So is there not a limit for race size? I thought most races were for a 5-6" class size? Like over 200mm? I'm new so do trust that the Alien platform is dated for sure just figured it would be one of the easiest frames to keep plenty of backup parts and completed builds with is why I was going to choose it. I like the Helix but think it's too fragile for beginners. I love the Chameleon frame and its bulletproof design but just didn't think it was a race quad honestly. But I'm not opposed to a fleet of them by any means if it would be a great starter quad for a fleet of beginners. The warranty is nice as well.

I'm open for all help I can get. And appreciate the input.

What is the thoughts on the 4 in 1 esc boards? Is it better to just pony up for individual escs and place them on the arms for easier repairs or are the boards working well enough that they are popular for racing now?

My thoughts on the HD quads I'm building is to eventually only race a HD class so all things will be equal. It's really going to advance quickly again when more digital platforms start popping up is my feeling. It's like anything digital in electronics, it just opens quite a few more doors that weren't previously available. Real time osd race positioning will be cool among many other things.

Thanks for the help guys and keep it coming please!
Apr 20, 2017, 10:06 AM
Safe landings!
$800 falcore is steeep for a beginner quad... also the special modes will not really prepare you for normal acro flight. Like others have mentioned grab a sim, or build a cheaper quad to get real air time.

I would advocate the taranis for sure, it's become the standard TX in the hobby over the past few years and is a great radio. I started with cheap units, and they are not as well documented and the mixing was terrible. Since you also have trainer planes and other quads, that's another reason to stick to something that is so widely used. Many peripherals support the FrSky telemetry protocol, and FrSky has receivers of all shapes and sizes. Check out the XM or XM+ receivers, they are very tiny and can fit easily on a miniquad. I use an X8R for my fixed wings. I'm not sure why people are saying the taranis wears out in a year, I've had mine for 2 years and there's no noticeable slop in the gimbals. The hall effect upgrade isn't necessary but is a nicety.

I am not a fan of buying all of the "pro" branded items because you usually are paying a lot more for marginal if any gains... Learning to fly fast through obstacles you are going to crash a lot, so I wouldn't recommend buying all of the highest end items up front. Stay middle of the road so you don't have reliability issues and you can buy duplicates of everything.

I don't think the HD video system is really feasible for a miniquad, ignoring the high price and likelihood of damage, it's heavy and large. Using something like a foxeer or runcam mini cameras is plenty and what everyone uses. For video tx/rx I like the RMRC cricket series and immersionRC, a friend loves his tbs unify.

For frames there isn't really any magic to them, buy one you like the looks of and that is popular enough that spares are easy to come by. Aliens seem popular but I've never handled one.

There are tons of options for ESC, FCs and motors, and lots and lots of tinkering. I have a friend who bought all KISS equipment because they advertise "plug and play", and due to their anti-clone attempts and a mistake on their manufacturing he has been unable to use any of the ESCs for several weeks because of their online activation process. It's good quality but he's at their mercy for now. Motors, stick in the 22xx range, probably 2300kv+ for a 5inch setup designed for power. ESCs find one that does BLHeli_S (not BLHeli, not the same and you can't reflash the newer. I made that mistake). FC you probably want an F4, but F3 is perfectly acceptable and I still fly my cc3d with an F1. Don't let all the marketing make you think you have to buy the latest and greatest just to fly. OSDs are becoming more popular for minis but aren't necessary.

Make sure you have an FTDI adapter that does 3.3 and 5v, and an arduino nano for ESC programming. If you mess up the software settings in anything these items can typically save you.
Apr 20, 2017, 10:09 AM
Oh. And since I've been into rc for quite a long time but just 5th scale, 1/8 scale buggies, and dnano I'm used to buying titanium hop up parts. You mentioned the aluminum screws and stuff breaking. Is there not a place to buy titanium parts for these quads to keep the weight down and parts from breaking as easily? Some nice anno Ti parts would be a nice touch along with LEDs to keep the quads separated in looks.
Apr 20, 2017, 10:10 AM
Safe landings!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alford78
So is there not a limit for race size? I thought most races were for a 5-6" class size? Like over 200mm? I'm new so do trust that the Alien platform is dated for sure just figured it would be one of the easiest frames to keep plenty of backup parts and completed builds with is why I was going to choose it. I like the Helix but think it's too fragile for beginners. I love the Chameleon frame and its bulletproof design but just didn't think it was a race quad honestly. But I'm not opposed to a fleet of them by any means if it would be a great starter quad for a fleet of beginners. The warranty is nice as well.

I'm open for all help I can get. And appreciate the input.

What is the thoughts on the 4 in 1 esc boards? Is it better to just pony up for individual escs and place them on the arms for easier repairs or are the boards working well enough that they are popular for racing now?

My thoughts on the HD quads I'm building is to eventually only race a HD class so all things will be equal. It's really going to advance quickly again when more digital platforms start popping up is my feeling. It's like anything digital in electronics, it just opens quite a few more doors that weren't previously available. Real time osd race positioning will be cool among many other things.

Thanks for the help guys and keep it coming please!
4in1s are convenient until you burn one ESC and have to replace all of them. I recommend individual ESCs.

HD quads are not necessary for OSD or any sort of positioning system. Analog video with OSDs have been around a long time. Digital may be the future but it's been out for years and still isn't mainstream so you may be in for a wait...

For racing league rules, you have to find the league you want to enter and look at its rules. Most likely you have a local club that may not adhere to a national/international ruleset.
Apr 20, 2017, 10:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Goast
$800 falcore is steeep for a beginner quad... also the special modes will not really prepare you for normal acro flight. Like others have mentioned grab a sim, or build a cheaper quad to get real air time.

Yea it's expensive but will teach my two youngest the basics of having goggles on while not getting out of hand. I have SIMs but they aren't the real thing. Sure they help muscle memory and are great before picking up a real quad but once one is out in the field with goggles on it's still totally different. I would always suggest a SIM for any type of RC to a beginner though.

I would advocate the taranis for sure, it's become the standard TX in the hobby over the past few years and is a great radio. I started with cheap units, and they are not as well documented and the mixing was terrible. Since you also have trainer planes and other quads, that's another reason to stick to something that is so widely used. Many peripherals support the FrSky telemetry protocol, and FrSky has receivers of all shapes and sizes. Check out the XM or XM+ receivers, they are very tiny and can fit easily on a miniquad. I use an X8R for my fixed wings. I'm not sure why people are saying the taranis wears out in a year, I've had mine for 2 years and there's no noticeable slop in the gimbals. The hall effect upgrade isn't necessary but is a nicety.

Yea I love the abilities of the Taranis I just like easy menus and the children need easy menus as well. I've just read all the stuff about how hard it is to get familiar with it when coming from other transmitters. I'll most likely get one for the receiver options alone as they are far cheaper and better than most others. That is my biggest reason for really wanting one.

I am not a fan of buying all of the "pro" branded items because you usually are paying a lot more for marginal if any gains... Learning to fly fast through obstacles you are going to crash a lot, so I wouldn't recommend buying all of the highest end items up front. Stay middle of the road so you don't have reliability issues and you can buy duplicates of everything.

I don't care what brand an item is I just want it to do what it is supposed to do each and every time. I want to be flying when I'm outside and not trouble shooting. I hope that makes sense. If it takes a top of the line product for that consistency then I'm not opposed to spending the money by any means.

I don't think the HD video system is really feasible for a miniquad, ignoring the high price and likelihood of damage, it's heavy and large. Using something like a foxeer or runcam mini cameras is plenty and what everyone uses. For video tx/rx I like the RMRC cricket series and immersionRC, a friend loves his tbs unify.

For frames there isn't really any magic to them, buy one you like the looks of and that is popular enough that spares are easy to come by. Aliens seem popular but I've never handled one.

There are tons of options for ESC, FCs and motors, and lots and lots of tinkering. I have a friend who bought all KISS equipment because they advertise "plug and play", and due to their anti-clone attempts and a mistake on their manufacturing he has been unable to use any of the ESCs for several weeks because of their online activation process. It's good quality but he's at their mercy for now. Motors, stick in the 22xx range, probably 2300kv+ for a 5inch setup designed for power. ESCs find one that does BLHeli_S (not BLHeli, not the same and you can't reflash the newer. I made that mistake). FC you probably want an F4, but F3 is perfectly acceptable and I still fly my cc3d with an F1. Don't let all the marketing make you think you have to buy the latest and greatest just to fly. OSDs are becoming more popular for minis but aren't necessary.

Make sure you have an FTDI adapter that does 3.3 and 5v, and an arduino nano for ESC programming. If you mess up the software settings in anything these items can typically save you.
What is this FTDI adapter you speak of. Can you explain it and link me to some literature please?

Another thing I've been seeing lately is 5 and 6s batteries on 5-6" quads. I assume the flight times will be the same but just have the juice to go faster. Is there anything special other than the esc's ability to handle 5s/6s that would be needed in the initial build in order to run the larger batteries?

And Graphene batteries seem like they will be the next big thing once the figure out how to use their technology in a better way. Are there any other technologies to be watching other than Graphene? 10-20 minute flights would be great even if the batteries cost $100+. I've invested in my chargers and power supplies so understand how important all the other gear is in this hobby so that it can be enjoyable. I used to hate anything Lipo since was used to my gassers then slowly started to understand that with the right charging setup and parallel boards Lipos could be fun as long as had a good supply of them. I still would rather let my children fill up a gasser and go rip than let them attempt to charge the lipos though. So it's still cumbersome. Being a father changes the way one thinks about a lot of little stuff that teenagers or others would never think about. Any chore or activity that my children can do on their own is far better than one that requires me to stand over their shoulder constantly. And I don't mean that in a bad way. I love spending time with them and am getting into this for them but I won't be letting the younger two handle any charging duties for a long time lol.
Apr 20, 2017, 10:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Goast
4in1s are convenient until you burn one ESC and have to replace all of them. I recommend individual ESCs.

Yeah that my feeling too. Just solder up the extra wires and have them easily available for repairs. Just wanted some feedback.

HD quads are not necessary for OSD or any sort of positioning system. Analog video with OSDs have been around a long time. Digital may be the future but it's been out for years and still isn't mainstream so you may be in for a wait...

Of course it's not necessary but the limits of what can be placed on the OSD with analog is far less than what can be added with digital when it does get more popular. It may take a while but it will change everything once it gets going. I just want to have a class for HD quads here so we can enjoy a different type of race when we have enough to do so. I live in a small college town in SW Kentucky that doesn't have any groups yet but I've started two for people to join if they look for them. I guess I should set up a Facebook page as well but just can't stand Facebook for some reason as a personal/public life sharing media source. My wife and most of my friends do it, it's just not something I care to spend time on. I'll pick up my phone if want to know what my friends are doing and if they want me to see/know what they are doing then they can text me a picture. I just find it a lazy way of sharing ones life to the open public. Rant over lol

For racing league rules, you have to find the league you want to enter and look at its rules. Most likely you have a local club that may not adhere to a national/international ruleset.
What ruleset is a standard most like to use? I understand some smaller clubs can't really use a ruleset that would cause some of its members to be ineligible so bending them would be a must. But surely most try to adhere or stay close to one main set right?
Apr 20, 2017, 11:09 AM
multigp rules. I run 4s class with a 5" prop at 210mm frame. If you go and sign up, you can connect with your local chapter and watch a race or fun fly this weekend I bet. Bring a pen and paper and a camera and ask lots of questions. youtube is a great resource in learning what ftdi adapters and laforge and what goes where. google (hit space bar) rcgroups is also a great way to learn. I raced 1/8 rc and helicopters and airplanes. NOTHING compares to fpv racing. My heart feels like it's going to burst out of my chest every time I fly. Its like when your in love with that girl for the first couple of months thing, except it happens everytime I fly. I don't have to worry about flying off a mountain road in my 300xztt (old car)or falling down a rock garden in my 29er and wondering if this foam helmet will save my life. I stopped playing paintball and airsoft. Hell I don't even wanna get married now. I just wanna drink mountain dew, eat corn dogs and race my quad. I have to admit, I am a huge grumpy person when the weather is not to my quads liking. I get plenty of exercise chasing the quad when I crash.
It took me a couple of weeks to get in the air after I had my equipment when I first got into this, so don't expect this to be smooth. I've had my fare share of failures, waiting for parts, bad weather, etc. Tuning a naze32 (old outdated fc)was the gayest thing ever. Your lucky to get in now because the betaflight f3 fc (soft mounted)on a stock tune flies amazing. I have 20 graphene 4s 1300mah batteries because I like to fly. yeah 2-3 min run time sucks but thats where the battery technology stands as for now. I would love to fly 10min, I know its just not going to happen unless you wanna fpv a wing or your gasser.

this is what i'm talking about. new products.
High Performance Drivetrains - Part 1 (22 min 13 sec)
Last edited by danlatu; Apr 20, 2017 at 11:30 AM.