H-King Raven 990 Mini DLG - RC Groups

H-King Raven 990 Mini DLG

The H-King Raven is a 1M class wooden built-up DLG that is great for checking out what discus launch gliders are all about.

Splash

Entry Level DLG

The H-King Raven is a 1M class wooden built-up DLG that is great for seeing what discus launch gliders are all about. It doesn't take long to put it together with its pre-built parts ready for final assembly and it comes with the 4.3g digital servos already installed and ready to go. It's a small model as it is and easy to transport, but the wings are detachable making it the perfect travel plane to take with you on vacation.

The wing is built from balsa and has a carbon reinforced spar. The fuse is made from plastic and houses the electronics with plenty of room to fit in your receiver and battery. It's a rudderless design using ailerons and elevator with independent aileron servos for a flaperon setup. The tail is connected to the fuse pod with a carbon fiber boom. The Raven can be put together and ready to fly in about 30 minutes, but the best part is the price. The Raven is just $138.36 so if you thought DLG's were too expensive, think again.

Check out the H-King Raven 990 Mini DLG

Features:

• Lightweight wing with carbon reinforced spar
  • Pre-built parts for easy assembly
  • Digital servos included and pre-installed
  • 30 minute assembly time
  • 1M Class 990mm wingspan

Specs:

• Wingspan: 990mm
  • Length: 730mm
  • Weight: 160g
  • Wing Area: 11.17dm2 (sq.dm)
  • Wing Loading: 14.3 g/dm2

Apr 19, 2017, 11:33 AM
that looks... familiar
Apr 19, 2017, 03:12 PM
Free Flight rubber flyer
Quote:
Originally Posted by parajared
that looks... familiar
And tremendously improved, if the flight videos are any indication. The original HK flapperon dlg isn't anything to brag about. this plane looks like it might actually be a good flier. Price isn't bad. My only concern is whether they've fixed the wing mount area, since those studs tended to split the boom open over time if they weren't adequately reinforced with Kevlar or glass wrapping.
Apr 19, 2017, 04:37 PM
Quote:
And tremendously improved
Improved how? Both are allegedly 160 gram AUW gliders with the same 12 to 15 degrees of dihedral. The wing joiners are the same on both, metal screws over CF. The tail size looks the same, the wing diameter is exactly 990mm on both, they have precisely the same nose and monocote on balsa design, they both have the same crappy launch peg. Pretty sure it's the same glider except the Raven has weight reduction holes cut in the ailerons and the push rods are routed beneath the wing instead of on the top.

In any case the "Raven DLG" is a more prominent name than the "mini DLG" which is a name shared across a number of gliders. It makes sense to rename it.
Last edited by parajared; Apr 19, 2017 at 04:42 PM.
Apr 20, 2017, 07:55 AM
looking up, down under
the stabiliser is on the bottom of the boom

although, yes, it does look pretty similar, though i note the elevator is pull string ? and i bet the aerofoil is likely tweaked some too
the fin is different too

H-King Raven 990 Mini DLG 2017 Glider 990mm (PNP) - HobbyKing Daily (1 min 15 sec)

but it's red, so it obviously goes faster

Apr 20, 2017, 09:05 AM
Quote:
the stabiliser is on the bottom of the boom
That's absurd. You need more up elevator authority than down elevator authority. You need full up elevator to flare out on landing but you only need a little down elevator to dive your plane.
Apr 20, 2017, 09:11 AM
RCG Staff
Having the horizontal stab on the bottom (like a Snipe by the way) allows it to use the pull/spring system for elevator control with the pull being used for Up elevator. There appears to be plenty of room between the stab and the boom to get a lot of up elevator travel, probably way more than needed. Don't see anything wrong with that setup at all.
Apr 20, 2017, 09:39 AM
Scale Aircraft = Scale Crators
Are the ailerons on independent servos? I couldn't tell from the pictures if there was some odd bell crank action going on there. Also, they kind of loss me with rudderless
Latest blog entry: Finished My Sbach 342!
Apr 20, 2017, 10:26 AM
RCG Staff
Yep, two servos in the wings.
Apr 20, 2017, 10:29 AM
A reluctant beekeeper ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikejr83
Are the ailerons on independent servos? I couldn't tell from the pictures if there was some odd bell crank action going on there. Also, they kind of loss me with rudderless
Yes. Pause the video at 23 seconds ....
Apr 20, 2017, 11:37 AM
Free Flight rubber flyer
Quote:
That's absurd. You need more up elevator authority than down elevator authority. You need full up elevator to flare out on landing but you only need a little down elevator to dive your plane.
You haven't flown DLG before have you? I always find myself wanting more down elevator authority on mine. Personally not a huge fan of bottom stabs, but they work very nicely nevertheless.
Apr 20, 2017, 12:28 PM
Quote:
You haven't flown DLG before have you? I always find myself wanting more down elevator authority on mine. Personally not a huge fan of bottom stabs, but they work very nicely nevertheless.
And you must do a lot of outside loops and inverted while your are flying your DLG to need all that dive authority. Jason is right in that there's enough of a gap that it will probably work fine either way but it helps to flare out on landing to avoid damage to the tail.
Apr 20, 2017, 01:38 PM
I've had two of the HK DLGs before... you know, the ones they had one sale when they used to have sales.
Anyway, they were super fun to play with, but both suffered from the tail section ultimately coming loose from landing and catching on grass and the like.

Is the fully lowered vertical stab on the back that critical?
Apr 20, 2017, 01:49 PM
Quote:
And you must do a lot of outside loops and inverted while your are flying your DLG to need all that dive authority. Jason is right in that there's enough of a gap that it will probably work fine either way but it helps to flare out on landing to avoid damage to the tail.
Hi guys.
I would say a lot of down elevator is important for pushing the nose over to level flight at the end of a high launch (with almost no airspeed left).
Apr 20, 2017, 02:24 PM
Free Flight rubber flyer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaicutta
Quote:
Hi guys.
I would say a lot of down elevator is important for pushing the nose over to level flight at the end of a high launch (with almost no airspeed left).
Finally someone with some sense. Starting to think papajared is just trolling the thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTPete
I've had two of the HK DLGs before... you know, the ones they had one sale when they used to have sales.
Anyway, they were super fun to play with, but both suffered from the tail section ultimately coming loose from landing and catching on grass and the like.

Is the fully lowered vertical stab on the back that critical?
1. I personally didn't have that problem other than the vertical loosening up because they didn't strip off the covering where the fin glues to the boom. I also had problems with the wing mounting studs tearing the boom apart. From the photos it looks like this problem remains.
2. No, it's not, but a lot of people swear by them. I've flown both and can't tell a difference, and that includes the durability aspect. Either way, strive to catch your DLG. Landings destroy tail surfaces, regardless of the quality of the model.