to remove ads between posts
Apr 17, 2017, 01:48 AM
Thread OP
Goodyear Final - Victorian Control Line State Champs 2017 (11 min 6 sec)

27 GoodYear Final - Victorian State Champs 2017 (12 min 23 sec)
Last edited by old4570; Apr 17, 2017 at 03:48 AM.
Apr 17, 2017, 05:45 AM
The 27 Goodyear finals show the superiority of diesels over glow for "Sports" racing. The engines seem to be a Parra D15, a PAW .15 GTS2 and a Oliver Tiger.

Watch the team on the right, 7 first flick starts?
Last edited by locktite401; Apr 17, 2017 at 06:24 AM.
Apr 17, 2017, 08:56 AM
Thread OP

Hmmmm

Not sure there were that many first flick starts ... ( ? )

I did see a lot of 2 flick starts or more ....

The final was made up of the more polished teams ...

And in the heats I saw 10 second to 30 second starts ...

27 Goodyear certainly looks interesting ( Tempting ) , but from what I saw , I would be very tempted to run a Glow !
A Conquest / Rossi / ST / K&B 72 / Taipan Gold Top / Fuji BB even or a Fox BB Sch ... ( Unless those engines are Verboten )
Any of which would be terribly easy to set up , and do 27.?/10 with ease and give good re-starts ...

The team on the right was penalized twice for speeding ... ( ? / Ellins )
A glow motor would simply need a click or so on the needle to slow it a little .. Richen a Diesel and it might cool too much ..
I only get to see what happens @ the state champs .. I may need to visit a few club comps ..

From this contest , I was not left with the impression that the diesel is the go to motor ...
A lot of the teams would have probably done much better with a glow ..
But in the end its preparation / practice and skill .

And all 3 teams - Dropped catches ! ( Probably was the end of a long State Champs )

I should have all the heats on Video ...
I might have to see about uploading them all ..
Last edited by old4570; Apr 17, 2017 at 09:01 AM.
Apr 17, 2017, 05:16 PM
Thread OP
Start was 2 Flicks
1st Pit stop was 3 Flicks
2nd Pit stop was a 1 flick stop
3rd Pit stop was a dropped catch + 3 flicks
4th stop
and 5th stops were 1 flick with what looked like some prop rotation
6th and 7th stops were 2 flickers ...
Apr 17, 2017, 06:23 PM
It'd be interesting to see how a glow would go in 27Goodyear. I'd suspect not very well. Why don't you give it ago?

This particular incarnation of the event started in NSW as Diesel Goodyear after all for a good reason. Just compare the pit stops in Open GYR compared with Dgyr on your videos.

I noticed a while ago that very often the race times in the open Gyr were just about the same as that for Dgyr even though the latter is speed limited. Lots of nitro, sound and fury but not so much air time :-)

Nice videos and pics by the way!

Victoria seems to be the only place in the country where c/l racing is still healthy.
Apr 17, 2017, 07:01 PM
Thread OP

???????????

A good glow will start with one or two flicks every time as long as its not run lean ... ( Dont crunch the plug )

Personally I hardly ever failed to get a first flick start with a CS or Oliver Tiger ... ( VTR )

But it comes down to having everything set up right ..
And a glow is easier to set up ..

I love diesels , but for some .. A glow is a better choice ..
And from what I saw , a lot of people would have been better served with a glow . ( One that starts reliably )
With a speed limit event , power is not a concern , number one would be a engine that starts .

I will do another thread for 27 Goodyear , there were not that many heats .
Apr 17, 2017, 11:02 PM
In NZ they fly Slow GY.. speed limit 26/10.. Glows hold the record..
Apr 18, 2017, 01:35 AM
Well there you go, an aussie topic with seven posts, three responders, and they said it couldn't be done :-)
Apr 18, 2017, 10:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by old4570 View Post
A good glow will start with one or two flicks every time as long as its not run lean ... ( Dont crunch the plug )
Back in the early 70's (and it couldn't have been earlier than '72 ) a mate and I decided to have a go at 2.5 rat race in the Qld championships. We bought a K&B series 72 (RC version cos my mate figured he might use it for QM pylon) and it started first flick every time. We won, which peed off a few of the regulars .
And that makes 4 responders........
Apr 20, 2017, 01:37 AM
Diesel Danny
Quote:
Originally Posted by locktite401 View Post

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> snip <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Victoria seems to be the only place in the country where c/l racing is still healthy.
Plenty of Control Line racing teams in NSW and a few in S.A. - They usually show their faces here in Albury for State Champs and Nats.

10th - 12th June is the next scheduled NSW Control Line State Champs. Come along!

* Danny M * (5th responder)

Almost forgot, McDermotts usually make the trip from Qld - they are very competitive.
Last edited by danny mz; Apr 20, 2017 at 02:21 AM. Reason: Forgot about the banana benders
Apr 20, 2017, 05:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by downunder View Post
Back in the early 70's (and it couldn't have been earlier than '72 ) a mate and I decided to have a go at 2.5 rat race in the Qld championships. We bought a K&B series 72 (RC version cos my mate figured he might use it for QM pylon) and it started first flick every time. We won, which peed off a few of the regulars .
And that makes 4 responders........
I bought a K&B 15 Series 72 NIB off Ebay and fitted a Nelson diesel head. It turned the test prop (an APC 7 x 6) at the same RPM as a Nelson Diesel. Starting first flick "every time" is a bit different to starting hot time after time as in team racing.
Apr 20, 2017, 05:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by danny mz View Post
Plenty of Control Line racing teams in NSW and a few in S.A. - They usually show their faces here in Albury for State Champs and Nats.

10th - 12th June is the next scheduled NSW Control Line State Champs. Come along!

* Danny M * (5th responder)

Almost forgot, McDermotts usually make the trip from Qld - they are very competitive.
Ah, wherever you go there's the same faces, and there's fewer every year :-)

Quick Reply