Apr 16, 2017, 01:26 PM
Whoops!

Wing vs Wind

The great thing about Dollar Tree foam boars is that is great for RC experiments without braking the Bank...

From the beginning I knew I had a high percentage that It could not fly well. So taking some precautions I tried to keep the wing no more that 40-50 feet of altitude and flying in circles close to me. When we are talking about foamies... Wind is not our friend... and I did this video to demonstrate that.

I've seen friends brake a wing tip , landing gears and tails just because they were flying on windy days. Even when most of these damages are repairable... It is better not having the need to repair your Aircraft to fly it again....

So please be careful out there when it's a windy day..

About my wing. Even when the damage was just a wing tip. I'm planning to make another Wing (lighter construction with carbon fiber rods instead of wood dowels)

Here is my video
20 + MPH winds ve my 600 square inch Wing (2 min 55 sec)
to remove ads between posts
Apr 18, 2017, 09:51 AM
Nice! How do you Think you would have done w/o gyro assistance?

Tommy
Apr 18, 2017, 07:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjim06
Nice! How do you Think you would have done w/o gyro assistance?

Tommy
I did a couple of turns with the gyro off. At full speed was controllable but when lowering the throttle bellow 3/4 it was starting to get scary, so I turned it back on. To be honest I don't think I would be able to do a landing w/o the Gyro.

The good thing about foamies is that with some hot glue It can be repaired in less than 5 minutes.

Next weekend is supposed to be less windy. So I can do a better flying video to post under better conditions.
Apr 18, 2017, 10:29 PM
Build straight - Fly twisty
First, I don't think the wind was 20+ MPH.
That amount of breeze makes a plane hard to carry because the wind is trying to blow it out of your grasp, and the trees in the background would be much more agitated.
Second, your last landing final approach was way too slow, right on the brink of stalling most of the way, until it did stall about 4 feet off the deck.
My thumb was wanting to push in a bit of down to bring up some airspeed as I watched that wobbly final.
Last edited by Whiskers; Apr 18, 2017 at 10:49 PM.
Apr 18, 2017, 10:45 PM
Kimbers Keeper.
I do a lot of wings. This one is 1000mm, 165g AUW. No stabilization. About 70w power.
It is flat foam board, only reinforcement is a strip of filament tape on the bottom. Wind
was ten to fifteen with gusts slightly higher. I have tried to break it. it is tough.

1000X165wing (1 min 21 sec)

Everyone likes the landing.
Apr 18, 2017, 11:08 PM
I didn't have a wind meter but it was really windy. maybe 15 gusting to 20+ also remember that when your 100' high the wind its greater.

About the end. yes, the wing was stalling about 4 feet high. I was trying to keep it level for a landing (using the airflow from the high winds to keep it flying) but a gust of wing flipped it to a side. I tried to give it full throttle but It was to late to get out of it. Knowing what to do in some situations is part of the learning curve.

These scratch-built wings are great for that. Easy to built with less braking parts as a regular plane. This is just one more experience in my learning curve. I'll have the wing tip ready for the next weekend and fly it again.
Apr 18, 2017, 11:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BHOFM
I do a lot of wings. This one is 1000mm, 165g AUW. No stabilization. About 70w power.
It is flat foam board, only reinforcement is a strip of filament tape on the bottom. Wind
was ten to fifteen with gusts slightly higher. I have tried to break it. it is tough.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FI31-oYqjBs

Everyone likes the landing.
Yes... Nice Landing. It flies really nice for how simple the design is. You can notice that it's built light. That helps keeping the wing in one piece in the event of a hard landing. My wing is heavy. I'll probably make another one just like this one but much lighter. by replacing the wood dowels in the inside with carbon fiber rods. and a smaller power configuration on it.
Apr 18, 2017, 11:24 PM
Qupte: I was trying to keep it level for a landing (using the airflow from the high winds to keep it flying)
That's my point. It wasn't flying. It was staggering along on the brink of stalling.
Airspeed is very hard to judge and on a landing approach it is critical.
If you trim a plane (in calm conditions) to glide nicely without any elevator input, you can let it maintain its own airspeed when landing. Just give a touch of 'up' in the last few inches.
Apr 19, 2017, 06:33 AM
Yeah, Just too slow on the last one. Actually the last couple.
Maybe Tic could give some advise, as it looks a lot like a Zagi.

Gord.
Apr 19, 2017, 06:48 AM
Yep, just a plain 'ol stall. Keep it pointed into the wind and keep the speed up and the nose a bit lower than typical and you can land in 30 MPH winds no problem (through your ground speed might actually be negative - done that).
In full scale light aircraft (Piper, Cessna, et. al.) you usually fly about 10% faster approach speed when in gusty conditions to minimize perturbances. In model scale you probably need significantly more than 10%.
Apr 19, 2017, 11:34 PM
The thing about videos... You can see the good, the bad and the ugly from them.

I come from flying gliders They can retain better the lift at slower speeds). I guess I was trying to slow down the wing like I do with gliders but went to far with it.

The good thing about it is That you can see the mistakes that you did, and thanks to your comments, opinions and suggestions. I will know better what to do for the next time. Hopefully I'll have a better day next weekend. I'll post a new video with my progress.

This will help me improve my flying skills...
Apr 20, 2017, 12:42 AM
Even the most expert pilots started off with no skill, and the most expert pilots are those who never stop learning.
Apr 21, 2017, 10:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskers
Even the most expert pilots started off with no skill, and the most expert pilots are those who never stop learning.
That's so true...
Yesterday, 11:07 AM
Went to the field to try my wing but it was still windy. by the second turn I felt something wrong with the power so basically did 1 more turn for a landing approach and landed. When I touched the motor It was extremely hot and the prop wasn't turning freely . I said to my self
that considering this motor without ball bearings had a good lasting period. I Also considered that this been used on flying wings... in every landing the propeller hits the ground causing more wear and tear to the shaft and bronze bushings.

This was the motor used for my Scratch-Built. This is my fourth wing powered by that motor without any problems till now . It's time to upgrade with a better motor.

Here are the specs. of my power configuration used:
Motor: HobbyKing Donkey ST3007-1100kv Brushless Motor
40 Amp ESC
Props APC 10x5 and APC 9x6 Configurations.
3S 1300 25C Battery