Aug 15, 2019, 06:40 AM
Me and a guy with a mustache
I'm amazed in how little water those little jet boats can run. Don't they pull up debris that tear up the drive/impeller? And whats on their bottoms to keep them from getting torn up in the rocks? Looks like a lot of fun though.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 15, 2019, 01:22 PM
Just Plane Nutts
Yes, they do go through impeller blades and suffer scarring when running in shallows with gravel or sand on the bottom.

As far as gravel goes suitable screen can work wonders for saving blades if done right: https://static.rcgroups.net/forums/a...n.proj_009.jpg

If you run over sand or really fine gravel a lot, then you may have to consider a cut-down metal prop, though it's not as easy to properly prep one as it sounds.
Aug 15, 2019, 03:09 PM
Jetdrives R Us
Quote:
Originally Posted by babblefish
I'm amazed in how little water those little jet boats can run. Don't they pull up debris that tear up the drive/impeller? And whats on their bottoms to keep them from getting torn up in the rocks? Looks like a lot of fun though.
Yes, they do inhale debris and spit it out, albeit a little smaller . They have a grate that stops the large stuff from passing. You can bet they'd replace the wear ring regularly and an impeller every now and then if they did that kinda stuff all the time. But I'm betting it was mainly for the video as impellers can be pricey....
Aug 19, 2019, 02:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by babblefish
Some guys just live with the resultant damage from impacting rocks/trees/small islands etc. If you wish to protect the bottom of your boat from getting all scuffed up...then a layer of durable plastic can be affixed (see pics)

And similar to the different screens we run on our model boats to protect the jet drives internals...1:1 scale jetboats run pretty much the same thing. Hereís a vid off pretty techo one that lets you clear the debris with a stomp of the foot.

What is a stomp grate? (1 min 20 sec)
Aug 19, 2019, 08:20 AM
Jetdrives R Us
Ain't that sweet?! Edit: What is equally interesting is the amount of room/space all those grate rods/bars take up in the intake opening. It looks to be roughly a 30% reduction due to grates. You have to wonder if/how much this affects performance.
Last edited by sundogz; Aug 19, 2019 at 10:54 AM.
Aug 19, 2019, 09:25 PM
Me and a guy with a mustache
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundogz
Ain't that sweet?! Edit: What is equally interesting is the amount of room/space all those grate rods/bars take up in the intake opening. It looks to be roughly a 30% reduction due to grates. You have to wonder if/how much this affects performance.
I would guess a lot less than inhaling a big rock or branch I imagine.
Aug 19, 2019, 10:40 PM
Just Plane Nutts
Best bet would be to flare/enlarge the intake to compensate for intake area lost, then decrease in cross-section quickly as to not add too much volume to the "suction" side of the unit.
Aug 19, 2019, 11:12 PM
The intake grills come in many different sizes and configurations. Hereís a couple of Hamilton Jet ones.
Aug 19, 2019, 11:17 PM
Donít you just dig the uncanny resemblance between these two boats. 🤔
Sep 09, 2019, 10:46 PM
Just Plane Nutts

IMPORTANT NOTICE about forum private messaging...Please read!

A number of member (myself included) have found their private messaging options in their personal forum setting have been turned off. No idea how or why this is so. One cannot receive messages under these conditions.

I suggest EVERYONE visit their messages page (link by their name at top-right of forum screen), click on SETTINGS AND OPTIONS / EDIT OPTIONS and then check their own current message settings.
Sep 15, 2019, 04:11 PM
Thread OP
Yeh mine looks switched off,,
tried to change setting but won't change,,
I might have missed something important,,
very poor situation,,
do people think they have send a valid email and awaiting replies that will never come,,
is this the bit that should be done,,
"If you do not want to send or receive private messages, you may disable the private messaging system.
Enable Private Messaging"
anyway,, hope everyone is Rockin,,
I'm way too busy at the mo and doing a bit a home help for my uncle on top,
I'm having to take naps from time to time myself
anyway anyway,, shame about the gremlins in the machine,,
they can be expansive and expensive in the end,,
Stop the Rock (Apollo 440 Mix) (3 min 33 sec)
Sep 15, 2019, 04:39 PM
Jetdrives R Us
I think Airdogge was mistaken. It saves your settings fine- it just defaults to the generic non-checked page the next time you go back and look at it. Probably a privacy thing.
Sep 15, 2019, 11:06 PM
Just Plane Nutts
It's been determined since I last posted in here that messaging is working even if uncheck on said page.

The discussion was conducted here: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...ing-turned-off
Sep 15, 2019, 11:30 PM
Jetdrives R Us
It took me most of a minute to figure it out. No worries...
Sep 16, 2019, 03:33 AM
Just Plane Nutts
A shame you weren't a part of that earlier discussion then.

Have a better one.

Quick Reply