Runway Material - Rubber Paving? - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Apr 16, 2017, 10:12 AM
Blair Simister
Discussion

Runway Material - Rubber Paving?

Our club is considering rubber paving for our runway. Any other club have experience with this?

Considering asphalt and well as the rubber.

Would like to hear of others experiences.

http://www.shercomrubberpaving.com/

Thank-You

Blair
to remove ads between posts
Apr 16, 2017, 10:56 AM
That stuff looks fantastic. I've got to assume it's pretty expensive. Did your club get a quote?
Apr 16, 2017, 11:07 AM
Blair Simister
No quote yet, just thought of it yesterday.... Will get one.
Apr 17, 2017, 07:38 AM
Hey Guys, Watch This.......
Looks interesting.

Mike
Apr 18, 2017, 10:42 AM
Capitalist
My runway is 600x 60, I would LOVE to go that route.. Although Summers here are routinely 115*
Apr 18, 2017, 04:01 PM
TonyF3A
Sounds very interesting. I would love to hear how this works out if your club decides to do this. We have the US Fabrics Aeromodeling Geotextile 230 installed on a couple of runways that used to be grass here at the AMA National Flying Site. Works well, especially for the small electric aircraft with small wheels, who used to flip every time they landed on the grass...

Would love to hear from everyone about different runways you have seen at club fields. Sharing this info will help others who are looking to improve their flying site.
May 15, 2017, 12:50 PM
Hi Tony

Where and how long are the geotextile runways? I was thinking about checking them out when I'm in Muncie Memorial Weekend.

Thanks,
Pete
May 16, 2017, 05:36 PM
DHG
DHG
Kinetic Sculptor
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyF3A
We have the US Fabrics Aeromodeling Geotextile 230 installed on a couple of runways that used to be grass here at the AMA National Flying Site. Works well, especially for the small electric aircraft with small wheels, who used to flip every time they landed on the grass...

Would love to hear from everyone about different runways you have seen at club fields. Sharing this info will help others who are looking to improve their flying site.
Tony,

The US 230 is great. Ours is installed over a smooth bed of sandy soil with crushed rock on top, 3 widths of 18' wide material about 450' long (whatever we could get out of 5 rolls). The edges are trenched, stakes every couple of feet in the trenches then backfilled to keep the wind from getting under the edges. We did have the center seam(s) loosen a bit in gale-force winds, but the material didn't tear and we were able to re-stake it without too much drama. The stakes are 6" nails with 2" dia. washers, 18"-24" spacing, driven into the crushed rock with a large hammer. Much more secure than the usual wire stakes. Now starting the third season with the US 230; we previously used something lighter & cheaper but it didn't last.

Prop strikes aren't a big problem but they can be patched with black Gorilla Tape. We tried taping all the seams with Gorilla Tape, too, but that eventually broke down so now we just re-drive or reposition the stakes as needed to keep the seams neat.

Photos here: http://airparkelite.com/

Cheers,
Duane
May 17, 2017, 09:57 PM
This looks exactly like the material that they made the track out my high school back home out of. The stuff was super durable and held up in the heat pretty well!
Latest blog entry: Tracker III Repair Thread
May 23, 2017, 11:57 AM
ARF Annihilator without equal
Could you give some idea of the cost? Would like to present it to my local club for consideration

Bruce
May 24, 2017, 11:42 PM
I checked with a company in the U S ( http://www.rubberway.com/flexibleporouspavements1 ) regarding the rubber paving. It does sound like and idea product for RC runways. Since it is made with recycled tires it is somewhat flexible, which means it shouldn't crack or shift with the changes in temperature between summer and winter. It is also warranted for 10 years.

The down side, it worked out to about $3.40 a square foot to do our 400 foot by 30 foot runway!

Jim
May 25, 2017, 12:06 PM
liv nvrtd
The rubber paving used for running / athletic tracks generally requires some base paving, usually asphalt and/or concrete sub-base. Though the rubber paving is more flexible and does expand and contract with weather conditions, my experience is that the keys to the durability of the surface depend on more than just the top surface. Those factors include but are not limited to: the quality/capacity of drainage, ground preparation (grading, compacting, etc.), quality of the sub-base pavement and appropriate cure time (gassing off), and last but certainly far from least is the experience and quality of the job the top surface paving contractor crew. Not all pavers understand your needs, or know how to meet them. Done right, rubber paving can last for decades. Done incorrectly, these projects will begin to deteriorate quickly, sometimes noticeably in as little time as the first year. I am not a civil engineer, but I have been involved with over five athletic track resurfacing projects in twenty-three + years as a coach. Iíve also seen more than my share of bad installs at other facilities that were due to at least one of the factors named above, and often in combinations.
Jul 26, 2017, 10:39 AM
AMA 1242

Runway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogosi
That stuff looks fantastic. I've got to assume it's pretty expensive. Did your club get a quote?
Our club is waiting for it to get here this week. Under $900.00 for 300 x 15 foot role + shipping Keep in touch I will let you know. They recommend a strong weed killer then grade & install , we can not use weed killer because our landlord has berry buches close to us. So we are going to put LANDSCAPE plastic down first. This worked very well at a fiel we had with used ASTRO TRUFF runway, no we could not move that after 15 years. We are using the GEOTEXAL woven . So any one who would like to try it we will be doing our TOYS FOR TOTS fun fly in OCT. Will be putting date up soon. Come join us, also now have SOLAR POWERED CHARGING STATION.
Last edited by jerseyhank; Jul 26, 2017 at 10:45 AM. Reason: c
Jul 26, 2017, 02:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DHG
Tony,

The US 230 is great. Ours is installed over a smooth bed of sandy soil with crushed rock on top, 3 widths of 18' wide material about 450' long (whatever we could get out of 5 rolls). The edges are trenched, stakes every couple of feet in the trenches then backfilled to keep the wind from getting under the edges. We did have the center seam(s) loosen a bit in gale-force winds, but the material didn't tear and we were able to re-stake it without too much drama. The stakes are 6" nails with 2" dia. washers, 18"-24" spacing, driven into the crushed rock with a large hammer. Much more secure than the usual wire stakes. Now starting the third season with the US 230; we previously used something lighter & cheaper but it didn't last.

Prop strikes aren't a big problem but they can be patched with black Gorilla Tape. We tried taping all the seams with Gorilla Tape, too, but that eventually broke down so now we just re-drive or reposition the stakes as needed to keep the seams neat.

Photos here: http://airparkelite.com/

Cheers,
Duane
Our clubs US230 is four years old with plenty of prop strikes.
Gorilla tape won't last...use this...
http://www.midlandhardware.com/Drive...274_a_7c463927

Can also be bought at Menards now.
Jul 26, 2017, 06:10 PM
We are on our 3rd summer I thing. Runway is great. Total project cost was a bit under 3K, runway is 300*45 from 3 rolls worth with the extra offcut used for taxi ways.