Nor-Cal Aero" AT-6 HARVAD" build - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Apr 15, 2017, 05:50 PM
Build Log

Nor-Cal Aero" AT-6 HARVAD" build

Hi,....! I'm "Houndstooth".... I currently have a build thread in "scale fuel planes" already. This build is a "continuation" of "Scotty68"'s build on the "Nor-Cal Aero" AT-6/SJN HARVARD.😀
Scotty68 asked me for help in building this for a friend of his... I know "NOTHING"!!! about this plane, other than it was used as a "trainer" in WWII. So, .... I'll half to do my "homework"!!! Hopefully, it will be a quick build since the "client" does not want flaps, scale cockpit, or retracts... Have a webra 60 on hand, but may not be enough.....😨. So, we're looking for a 90-4 stroke, or even a SuperTiger 75-2 stroke.... It has a 65 inch WS, 7 to 9 pounds done,..
Got both of my tables full right now...... I'll continue with the "WACO SRE" build, and this one as well!😮😧. We'll see how well I can "multi-task"!!!
to remove ads between posts
Apr 15, 2017, 05:54 PM
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...-harvard-build. This is Scotty68's link...
Apr 15, 2017, 05:57 PM
I'm taking over from there....... Shall we begin???😏
Apr 15, 2017, 06:16 PM
it's a pretty nice kit! I wouldn't mind flying this "baby" myself once it's done... it is a sport scale.....
plans are a little wrinkled, and "Scotty68" already started the center wing piece,.. I'm just gonna "refurbish" this piece up a bit, and install the fixed "landing gear " blocks...
I already removed the "sheer-webs", so I can realign the ribs... Sorry, my friend,.... Some ribs were off....😕
Apr 15, 2017, 07:44 PM
UAS Pilot - FAA# *******HRK
I've got one of these kits but I have to applaud you for taking it on. I ended up shuffling my kit to the bottom of my build list as after reading through the instructions, and talking with others it's a more involved kit than I thought it would be. Most likely I will put it backup for sale but I want to see how you get it done.

I don't know if you need the advice but I was told fitting the cover over the wing center is not all that easy.

Mike
Apr 15, 2017, 07:49 PM
Well, one thing led to another, and ended up disassembling the whole center piece because, some ribs need area cut-outs for the landing gear blocks, and all center ribs needed to have holes in them for the servo wires.... It's easier this way....
Apr 15, 2017, 08:36 PM
Hi Mike! Glad for you to join in!
Yes.... That ABS plastic piece may be a "Bear" to work with... Gonna take some planning, and enginuity to get er done! Also, I was reading the instructions, and the kit gives 20 thousants sheet metal for strength with the "dihedral" braces.. Found that interesting..... A longer "dihedral" brace may help also...
Oh, and also, ..... The instructions say that not all AT-6's had retracts! Such s the "Yale", and BT-9.... Hummm?😧😶....??? I'll half to research this! Cause I'm thinkin..... ( if some of these planes had no retracts,..... There would be no need for that ABS piece)..???
Gotta "Google" it!
Apr 15, 2017, 09:06 PM
HAAAA!!!!! See that???? I was right!!! The BT-9 doesn't have the wheel wells/ABS plastic part!!! BT-9 it is!!!😇😙😎!!!
Apr 15, 2017, 09:13 PM
Thanks Mike, for "chiming" in! YOU,...... just made this build a little more easier!!! And, I hope that this thread will inspire you to build yours!
Apr 15, 2017, 09:23 PM
See how I did that? Do that to 8 of the ribs, and you'll have your slots for the gear blocks!
Apr 15, 2017, 09:32 PM
Batta-Bing, Batta-Boom! Just like that.....
Apr 16, 2017, 12:41 AM
Eternal Noob
Quote:
Originally Posted by houndstooth
it's a pretty nice kit! I wouldn't mind flying this "baby" myself once it's done... it is a sport scale.....
plans are a little wrinkled, and "Scotty68" already started the center wing piece,.. I'm just gonna "refurbish" this piece up a bit, and install the fixed "landing gear " blocks...
I already removed the "sheer-webs", so I can realign the ribs... Sorry, my friend,.... Some ribs were off....😕
Do what you gotta do man! Just glad you're the one doing it, I was dreading the thought of having to do it myself. Thanks again, I can't wait to see it done. And I am looking forward to watching the progress.
Scotty68
Apr 16, 2017, 02:21 AM
Ok Scotty68,.... Flaps it is!😎
Apr 16, 2017, 02:30 AM
Here are some pics of full scale ones...
Apr 16, 2017, 02:32 AM
This pic looks like this kit! Interesting.....😏