Jun 22, 2017, 12:59 PM
Laughs at un-boxing videos...
Yeah the stock look is cool.

I have a roll of silver pla I was thinking of using it for main parts and use orange, red or yellow on wing tips. tail and nose.
to remove ads between posts
Jun 22, 2017, 01:16 PM
No problemo...
Thread OP
I printed for a friend the Bf-109 in metallic silver (Hatchbox) and it came out great. He plans to paint it in camo and sand the leading edges to give it that weathered look.

Other than using translucent filament in the future for a planned night flyer I'd definitely take advantage of the wide array of opaque colors. With a lot of aluminum finished warbirds I'd do exactly what you're planning.

Rob
Jun 23, 2017, 09:53 AM
No problemo...
Thread OP

Paint!

Hey guys,

Here's my Jug with some paint on her. Nothing fancy but hopefully she'll be easier to see in flight (despite the aluminum color). I used Rustoleum with no ill effects. I ended up painting on the stars and bars - they look good from 5+ feet away. 😋

Rob
Jun 23, 2017, 11:22 AM
What - Me Hurry?
What prop do folks use for a 3S set-up? Moto-Calc was suggesting `10x6, but was way off on power estimates. I'm pulling 27-34 amps using anything from a 10x7 to 12x6 APC prop, from a Zippy 3S 3700 (25C) pack into a 50A ESC and a Turnigy 3536/8 1000Kv motor.

P.S. that painted ship sure looks good!
Jun 23, 2017, 03:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stangrob
Hey guys,

Here's my Jug with some paint on her. Nothing fancy but hopefully she'll be easier to see in flight (despite the aluminum color). I used Rustoleum with no ill effects. I ended up painting on the stars and bars - they look good from 5+ feet away. 😋

Rob
Yours looks a lot better with finish than the raw filament. Maybe it is also copes better with UV ? Any issues here with raw filament against UV-light ?

I thought that you used decals until I read your post. Good job !
Jun 25, 2017, 07:04 AM
At least now you can see it without it "cloaking" on you mid flight.

Dead serious, what does "jug" refer to? I've seen it mentioned a couple of times.
Jun 25, 2017, 07:37 AM
Laughs at un-boxing videos...
fuselage shape=jug. Google is your friend
Jun 25, 2017, 09:50 AM
What - Me Hurry?
Setting up the control surfaces - what do folks use for throws on the elevator & ailerons?
Jun 25, 2017, 11:38 AM
No problemo...
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by redball8
Setting up the control surfaces - what do folks use for throws on the elevator & ailerons?
I'll post my setup for you in a bit 😉

Rob
Jun 25, 2017, 11:40 AM
No problemo...
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by basicguy
fuselage shape=jug. Google is your friend
Some folks also say it's short for juggernaut. But I think most lean towards basicguy's definition.

Rob
Jun 25, 2017, 02:35 PM
Aedificem ergo sum
Redball8 - once Rob posts his settings, below is what you can expect for performance (taken yesterday at the BCSF Warwick Fun-Fly). It flew great - very crisp, and plenty of power, and what appeared to be very gentle low-speed handling. Note that the plane is also no longer invisible

While I opted for the Stearman PT-17 for my first print, the P-47 will definitely be my second.

Mike C.

Stangrob's 3DLabPrint P-47 at BCSF Warwick Fun-Fly 2017 (2 min 44 sec)
Jun 25, 2017, 04:50 PM
No problemo...
Thread OP
Hey Mike,

Once again you and Sandy did a fantastic job with the camera and video work! Since I'm still getting a feel for the P-47 I was flying a bit higher than normal on the backside of the field but Sandy's camera work definitely made up for it! Thanks for making my plane look so cool!

Rob
Jul 05, 2017, 09:21 AM
Here is my P-47 project scaled down to 90%. It is still big and light enough.

Have added putty and sanded all over before spraying with aluminium color.

Also made a canopy. The plug was quickly plaster molded in some spare fuseparts. Only took me about 2 hours total (drying time not included) including painting.

Still needs some finishing. I have to choose a color scheme and rub the aluminium surface. The color schemes for the P-47D version are more appealing than those of the N-version.

I don't think that the long cowl adds much to the scale-like appearance. In fact I think the 3dlabprint P-47N without the motor mounted mostly looks like an early jet era sovjet plane.

I'll estimate the weight added from putty, primer and paint to be around 60-70 grams, about 9-10% percent of the added part. And the cost of the finishing materials is about twice of those of the printed parts !
Jul 20, 2017, 07:48 AM
Finally I got some more colours and some decals on my 90% print. It is now ready to fly. AUW 1530 grams including 70 grams added to the nose for CG.

Everything is dialed in and I am just waiting for an opportunity to test fly it.
Jul 20, 2017, 08:06 AM
What - Me Hurry?
Looks really good, Pentium. Smoothing out the surface certainly helps - what did you use for filler/putty?

Quick Reply