3D LabPrint P-47N build - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Apr 15, 2017, 01:05 AM
Build Log

3D LabPrint P-47N build

Hi gentlemen,

Well my spool of Alloy 910 showed up tonight, so it's time to get printing!

I spent some time watching the videos from 3D LabPrint to get the settings figured out - they go a bit fast through the screens so you really need to stop and rewind a few times to get the details. I think I got it right though - I'll know in the morning when the first part is done and I can weigh it.

As I mentioned above, I've opted to print/built the P-47N as my first model. To do this I'm using Simplify3D as my slicer of choice, and the printing duties are being handled via a MakerGear M2. I've had this printer for a little over a year, which replaced the Robo R1 that I cut my teeth on. The MakerGear is an excellent printer and I can't say enough good things about it.

Currently I'm printing the cowl section of the fuselage to make sure I have all the settings correct. As the printer is working away I'm amazed at the details of the internal structure - these 3D LabPrint guys are good! The Alloy 910 in natural comes out clear so it looks very cool.

I'll provide some pics in the morning. Stay tuned!

Rob
to remove ads between posts
Apr 15, 2017, 01:12 PM
Cool. Along for the ride.
Apr 16, 2017, 01:15 AM
The first cowling came out great but was just a bit light at 52 grams (recommended weight is 57 grams (+/- 3 grams)). I changed the extruder factor from 1.12 to 1.14 and tried again, which put the second cowling at 54 grams - at the low end of the range, which was good for me. Right now the second section is printing, and I tweaked the extruder factor one more time to 1.16 just to get the weight a little bit higher.

Rob
Last edited by stangrob; Apr 16, 2017 at 01:19 AM. Reason: Minor syntax edit
Apr 16, 2017, 02:10 PM
volare est vivere
hi there from Toledo

Wow,that is excellent, Rob.

My friend, Mike, is also building/printing the same P47 but he is much further along in the build. I will try to get him involved in this thread. I am sure he has much to share.

Maybe we can talk him into bringing it to Neat Week.

Ciao rjf
Apr 16, 2017, 03:05 PM
Hey Ray!

That sounds good. All input is appreciated, and I like the NEAT idea. Should be interesting to see how many of the 3D LabPrint designs show up

Status- wise I'm currently printing the fourth section of the fuse. I'm thinking of reprinting one of these sections in normal PLA to compare the rigidity of the parts. The Alloy 910 parts look great but the thin-wall sections are pretty flexible. While I think the parts will be very durable I'm concerned about getting the sections to align - I'll know more about that as soon as I start gluing everything together. I suspect the PLA will be a bit more rigid but I'm concerned about the trade-off in durability.

Rob
Apr 16, 2017, 11:35 PM
Well I've printed the first five sections of the fuselage and I'm beginning to think the Alloy 910 may be a bit too pliable. The stuff is tough for sure but in the sections aft of the wing saddle where there are few supports the section is very floppy. I'm printing a duplicate of fuse section 5 in PLA to see how the materials compare for rigidity. I have a sneaky feeling I'll be ordering a spool of PLA in the morning. If nothing else this is a good experiment, and I can tell the Alloy 910 will be a good filament for other parts I normally print.

Rob
Apr 17, 2017, 10:53 AM
The new PLA fuse section 5 finished overnight and I compared the output with the Alloy 910 print. The PLA section is much more rigid than the equivalent piece using Alloy 910, so at this point I'm planning to reprint sections of the fuselage using PLA. However, I'm thinking I may still use the cowling made with Alloy 910 as there is a significant amount of internal structure that's keeping this piece pretty rigid, and I think using the Alloy 910 material in this section may be beneficial as it may take landings better than the PLA will. I'll probably reprint the rest of the fuselage as (a) the finish is different with PLA vs. Alloy 910 (the PLA is smoother) and (b) the thin wall sections with the Alloy 910 are a bit floppy and will probably make for joining the sections smoothly a challenge. I'll probably print the belly pan using Alloy 910 as well, but at this point I expect the rest of the plane will use PLA.

Rob
Apr 20, 2017, 02:29 PM

Fresh PLA delivered

Well my new roll of clear PLA showed up last night and I put it to work printing out another cowl section. I opted to reprint the cowl as I wanted to make sure I had the extruder settings correct - turns out the print came out a little light (52g vs. the recommended 57g) so I I upped the extrusion factor from 1.0 to 1.04 and started another print so that when I get home tonight I should have a nice shiny cowl waiting for me The new cowl is significantly stiffer than the one I made with Alloy 910 so I'm happy I switched materials. I may still make the belly pan out of Alloy 910 as it may be more forgiving for landings but I'll decide that later. In the meantime I hope to get a big chunk of the airframe done over the next few days.

On a related front, I'm going to look into my options for servos. I was honestly a bit surprised when I saw the 3D LabPrint guys were using "inexpensive" six and nine gram servos for this airplane. With the high power setup they suggest I'm a little worried that those servos may not be up to the task - hopefully I have something more robust hiding in my supply cabinet

Rob
Apr 22, 2017, 11:38 AM
Well I finished printing the fuse parts overnight - now it's the left wing's turn. The left wing parts are a 10 hour print so I'll have something to play with later this evening

Rob
Apr 22, 2017, 02:42 PM
Excellent!
Apr 24, 2017, 11:33 AM
Gents,

A quick update.

Over the weekend I printed up the parts for the left wing. Was a fairly long print - about fourteen hours, but everything went well. The only problem I found was that the thin wall sections of the wing panels were "warped" a bit for the first 3/4" of the print, then they looked fine. I suspect it wouldn't impact the flight performance of the plane, but it didn't look great and thus was annoying. I subsequently tried printing up the panels individually and they came out MUCH better.

Has anyone else had this problem? I'm wondering if this is due to the panels being close to one another and the PLA not cooling off quickly enough as a result.

Rob
Apr 24, 2017, 09:47 PM
An aspirational fast jet pilot
Sub - good work keen to see the finished result.
Apr 30, 2017, 08:10 PM
I'll be away on a business trip this week so I won't get any work done until I return. In the meanwhile I assembled most of the fuselage. I ended up using the longer cowl as I'll be running a different outrunner than the instructions recommended (the one suggested is out of stock where I can get to it).

Here's a pic of the progress. FYI the shorter fuse is the one I printed with Alloy 910 that ended up being too floppy

Rob
May 02, 2017, 02:24 AM
Rob, use this on the pliable sections to test.

https://shop.smooth-on.com/xtc-3d

Actually its this one :

https://shop.smooth-on.com/epsilon

Use the other on PLA to keep it from breaking down as fast, I have noticed thin PLA parts get brittle after 8 months.
Last edited by fATAL; May 02, 2017 at 01:22 PM.
May 13, 2017, 12:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fATAL
Rob, use this on the pliable sections to test.

https://shop.smooth-on.com/xtc-3d

Actually its this one :

https://shop.smooth-on.com/epsilon

Use the other on PLA to keep it from breaking down as fast, I have noticed thin PLA parts get brittle after 8 months.
Sorry guys, been tied up since I got back from my business trip!

fATAL, that coating looks pretty cool. I'll have to check it out on one of my upcoming prints!

Rob