Apr 14, 2017, 09:05 PM
Discussion

78" scratchbuilt wing

Hello,

I wanted to post the progress I've made on what is intended to be a stable fpv platform and good all purpose wing. This was my first hotwire cutting project so there will be some inevitable sanding and spackling to do before covering it.

I will cap the trailing edge of the center section and make the elevons out of balsa. I haven't decided whether to glass it, doculam it, use brown paper or just monokote.

My intended setup is an eflite park 480 910kv motor and a 9X5 prop, two metal geared servos, 30 amp esc and a 3cell 3300 mah lipo. I may try a 2200 if it will balance.

If I like how it flies I'll be giving it landing gear to set it apart from my other wings.
to remove ads between posts
Apr 14, 2017, 10:37 PM
That is a beautiful wing already.

Probably a challenge to launch this baby into the air.
Looking forward to see more of it.
Apr 14, 2017, 10:47 PM
Nice design. Looks like a good start. Hotwire airfoils are my favorite scratch builds. I'll be watching your progress.
Apr 15, 2017, 11:06 AM
Watching with interest. I'd like to try my hand at hotwire foam cores in the near future.
Apr 15, 2017, 07:33 PM
Thanks everyone! I do anticipate my first launch to be a bit difficult although this thing should have a low wing loading which helps. Landing gear will help more though.

My main priority now is to sand and then fill where needed then add the balsa parts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iktomi
Watching with interest. I'd like to try my hand at hotwire foam cores in the near future.
I will post a picture of my cutter soon, it wasn't hard to build and runs off of a 3cell lipo. This project wasn't a good place to start with the hotwire though, it is big and has tapered wings that are swept. Had I made something more simple these cuts would have been super easy. That being said this was not too bad.

Edit: here's the cutter. It has a 22" blade made of #6 music wire on a 3/4" birch ply frame. A guitar tuner tensions the wire. The battery is connected to a 30amp brushed esc which is controlled by a servo tester. I made the leads extra long so I can connect the alligator clips to a larger cutter when needed using the same electronic parts.
Last edited by Lepidopteran Ape; Apr 18, 2017 at 09:54 PM.
Apr 21, 2017, 12:03 PM
More progress: all the filling is done, elevons are finished and I added strips of brown paper soaked in a water/pva mixture to give a hard and uniform edge. The fiberglass cloth is on its way as well.
Apr 24, 2017, 07:54 AM
that's a BIG wing ! Are you considering a spar(s) before glassing it or would FG alone suffice? do you have an estimated range of the AUW ?
Apr 24, 2017, 10:45 AM
Thanks for the details on your cutter. Looks pretty simple to set up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lepidopteran Ape
Thanks everyone! I do anticipate my first launch to be a bit difficult although this thing should have a low wing loading which helps. Landing gear will help more though.

My main priority now is to sand and then fill where needed then add the balsa parts.

I will post a picture of my cutter soon, it wasn't hard to build and runs off of a 3cell lipo. This project wasn't a good place to start with the hotwire though, it is big and has tapered wings that are swept. Had I made something more simple these cuts would have been super easy. That being said this was not too bad.

Edit: here's the cutter. It has a 22" blade made of #6 music wire on a 3/4" birch ply frame. A guitar tuner tensions the wire. The battery is connected to a 30amp brushed esc which is controlled by a servo tester. I made the leads extra long so I can connect the alligator clips to a larger cutter when needed using the same electronic parts.
Apr 25, 2017, 12:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmblb
that's a BIG wing ! Are you considering a spar(s) before glassing it or would FG alone suffice? do you have an estimated range of the AUW ?
The AUW needs to be under 50oz which is what my first mega wing weighed. This should be less though and I plan adding three spars first.
May 17, 2017, 11:09 PM
[QUOTE=Lepidopteran Ape;37383334]The AUW needs to be under 50oz which is what my first mega wing weighed. This should be less though and I plan adding three spars first.[/QUOT

LA.... thanks. Were you able to make any progress? I am keen to know how it turned out
May 17, 2017, 11:25 PM
The eBay seller who sold me the fiberglass scammed me, however I got the spars in and mounted the motor. I need to make winglets and hinge the elevons temporarily then I'll test it out. I may just put some econokote on it instead of glass because it's very stiff.