3D Lab Print Zivko Edge - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Apr 14, 2017, 09:33 PM
DWFoamies
Discussion

3D Lab Print Zivko Edge

I thought I'd start out a new thread for the Edge 540.
Today the Red Bull Air Races came to San Diego. We went down early to beat the crowd, we ended up on the shoreline with the show in our faces. I have included some photos that were taken form my android.
Last edited by electric-2000; Apr 14, 2017 at 09:41 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Apr 14, 2017, 09:39 PM
DWFoamies
After watching some of the time trials, we drove down to Brown Field to watch some of the crews staging for their races. I ended up watching Matt Hall taxi by, I quickly jumped onto the tarmac with my printed Edge and snapped a couple photos. Matt was kind enough to stop taxing for a candid shot then invited me to his hanger to hang out and even get his autograph on the wing of the Edge What a great way to end the day...
Apr 15, 2017, 01:50 PM
Nice! I'd love to see these races someday.
Apr 15, 2017, 03:22 PM
The red bull air races is an event you'll never forget. I happened to see them when they competed on Long Island,NY.

I completed the print of the Zivko Edge provided by 3D labprint.
Electric your print turned out great.
How did you manage printing the wind shield a different color?
Also who printed the graphics?

Here's mine.

Tom
Apr 16, 2017, 09:41 PM
Did you guys use Med CA and activator to assemble your Edge? I have started assembling and I am skeptical of the strength of these butt joints with no spars. Did a strength test of the elevator joint and was underwhelmed. Thinking plastic model glue may be stronger? Any thoughts?

Dave.
Apr 17, 2017, 06:51 PM
I used Medium CA and accelerator.. No issues with bonding.

Tom
Apr 20, 2017, 12:27 PM
DWFoamies
Quote:
Originally Posted by iflircaircraft
How did you manage printing the wind shield a different color?
Also who printed the graphics?
Nice looking edge, have you flown yours yet. I have a couple of them in the air and they are a hoot to fly. If we get enough of them at the field we'll need to start up a pylon racing class

The Red Bull races have been here in San Diego a few times now. This time I drove out to visit the compound, I had a blast talking to the teams.

I took the canopy files and modified them, the windshield is actually a separate part now. Once printed there is some trimming involved, then to keep the integral support of the parts they are glued back together.

I have a 24" vinyl cutter and cut my own graphics. You might look into Callie Graphics, she cuts anything for a fair prince. www.callie-graphics.com
Apr 20, 2017, 12:47 PM
DWFoamies
Quote:
Originally Posted by 172AMD
Did you guys use Med CA and activator to assemble your Edge?
I've tested a few types of glue and I have found that Insta-Cure+ medium by BSI works the best. I also tested Weld-On 16 acrylic glue but because of the thick viscosity it's a mess to work with and clean up.

A couple tips I have found when using the CA- Preparation will help, do this by ruffing up the joint with some 220 sand paper. Lay a full sheet on the table top and lap the printed part back and forth a couple times. Then wipe it down with Denatured Alcohol on a soft towel. Be liberal with the glue, I often will touch the parts together and look to see that there is a slight ooze, if not I'll pull it apart and apply more. Then , starting at one end I use the spray kicker, re-check alignment then finish off the entire area with kicker.

I've noticed that on dark parts the CA glued area will turn white from the kicker. I use some thin oil like Tri-Flow or sewing oil on a rag and wipe the joint. This will remove the residue.
Apr 20, 2017, 07:15 PM
I have been sanding the joint. Just seemed to have trouble with the elevator, not much material / surface area for gluing each elevator half's joint. Have not had any issues with the rest, using Zap med ca and activator.
Apr 21, 2017, 07:15 AM
I found CA to be fine and stronger than the PLA, I did as Electric-2000 recommends and give the mating faces a quick once once over with sand paper. I found that Gorilla CA was ideal and the nozzle on the bottle was exactly the right size for creating a neat bead.

That's a nice alteration to the canopy electric-2000.

My one is a bit rough but I wanted to see how she flew before I went to town on a paint job. She had her maiden yesterday and, with a couple of clicks on the elevator trim, she flew straight as an arrow. She has got the beefed up undercarriage, which is just as well given how I landed her. My buddy kindly filmed it with his phone, I chopped most of the boring bits out:-
3D LabPrint Zivko Edge Maiden Flight (2 min 30 sec)
Apr 21, 2017, 07:30 AM
Outstanding! Flies really nice. Good job! It still amazes me that we can print these out and fly them.
Apr 21, 2017, 01:18 PM
DWFoamies
A quick note on CA...back in 1965 I remember ZAP being advertised on the box of a Senior Falcon kit by Carl Goldberg . At that time they were competing against the "go-to-glue" called Ambroid cement. Now days there are much better choices in Cyanoacrylate Glues, Satellite City and Bob Smith Industries are some of the best I have found. The Gorilla glue would be my next choice and since Home Depot stocks it, it will be easier to find. I guess what I'm saying is that I have not had good luck with the ZAP products and in my opinion this is where some of the adhesion issues are coming from.
Apr 21, 2017, 01:22 PM
I bought some ZAP thin CA recently that was just plain crap. I might as well have been using water. I've been using both Gorilla and Loctite CAs recently and have been really happy with them.
Apr 21, 2017, 01:27 PM
I guess folks need to use what they like and are comfortable with. Not to turn this into a conversation on CA, but when I am building I strive to use Zap. I've always had very good luck with it, whether it be thin, medium, or thick. I stopped using the "Bob Smith" brands years ago as I found the shelf life was poor and I'd have to drench it with activator oftentimes before it did the job.

Now back to 3D printed airplanes

Rob
Apr 21, 2017, 01:39 PM
DWFoamies
Quote:
Originally Posted by BST999
That's a nice alteration to the canopy electric-2000[/URL]
Thanks, just recently I found out that 3DLabPrint uses 3D Studio and Rhino from McNeel Associates to create their designs. These are the same programs I grew up with, I must say they are using these programs to their fullest extent and are creating some great looking products!
I have done a couple mods to their designs, unfortunately I don't have their master file, which are done with NURBS and splines, so the canopy modification I did needed to be done on the polygon level. These programs are also great for scaling and splitting parts apart.
After returning from the Red Bull races I was inspired with the new Edge V3 winglet designs. I jumped into Rhino and created a replacement tip for the Edge. I will be testing them next week, I'll report back with my findings.