Taranis: Aileron-To-Rudder Mix. - Page 2 - RC Groups
This thread is privately moderated by Miami Mike, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Aug 31, 2017, 07:37 AM
Multifaceted Heli Nut
Well shoot! I did in fact upgrade to 2.2.0 on this particular Taranis.

The mix could be reactivated in either of two ways: Toggling S-H (throttle cut) or by shutting off and back on the TX power.

Would you be able to provide a rough outline of the process anyway? I've never tried to save an eepe file although I do have Companion installed and working.

Thanks
to remove ads between posts
Aug 31, 2017, 12:47 PM
Registered Taranis User
You've already set up your aileron-rudder mix to be controlled with a manual switch, so the only thing you need to do is change it to be controlled with a logical switch instead. For reference, here's how I did my setup:
Code:
L1 Rud ~ 0 <- This is the V2 value that switches sticky L3 off when the rudder stick is not centered.
L2 ( Ail ~ 0 ) AND L1  <- This is the V1 value that switches L3 on when Rud and Ail are both centered.
L3 Sticky(L2, !L1)  <- This is the logical switch that's read externally to control the mix. When L3 is true, the mix is enabled.
L3 is called a "Sticky", but I think of it as a latch. A sticky behaves like an appliance that has an on button and an off button — Press the on button and it turns on and stays on even after you release the on button. Press the off button and it turns off and stays off even after you release off the button.

In my setup when the V1 condition (in this case L2) becomes true, L3 is switched on and the mix that's controlled by L3 is active. It stays active even when L2 is no longer true. When the V2 condition (in this case !L1 or "not L1") becomes true (which actually means that L1 becomes false because the rudder stick is not centered), L3 is switched off and the mix that's controlled by L3 is disabled. It stays disabled even when L1 is no longer false.

As far as I know the way logical switches work hasn't changed, or at least not significantly, from version 2.1 to version 2.2, so you should be able to do this with version 2.2. And of course you don't have to use L1, L2, and L3. You can put your lines anywhere you have room in your list of logical switches by adjusting their internal and external references accordingly.

For your setup, you'll need to use different conditions for V1 and V2. You've already specified V2 to be "once the rudder is moved beyond a defined threshold" as the condition that cancels the mix. It would look like this:
Code:
L2 |Rud| > 50
L2 is true when the absolute value of the rudder stick is greater than 50.

Stick values vary from -100 to +100 with 0 at the center. With a value of 50, L2 would become true when the rudder stick is moved either left or right half the distance to the end. You can change 50 to any value you like that's greater than 0 but less than 100.

Quote:
The mix could be reactivated in either of two ways: Toggling S-H (throttle cut) or by shutting off and back on the TX power.
The default condition for a sticky is to be off when the radio is turned on. That means that for your setup we have to reverse the logic so that the mix is active when the sticky is false. In other words, the logical switch that activates your mix on the Mixes screen will be !L3. This actually eliminates a line but might make the setup more confusing:
Code:
L2 |Rud| > 50 <- This is the V1 value that switches sticky L3 on when the rudder stick is moved past the threshold.
L3 Sticky(L2, SH↓)  <- SH↓ is read directly and switches L3 off, enabling the mix. The mix will also be enabled when power is switched on because L3 will be false upon power-up.
Don't modify your current setup. Instead, make a copy of it with a different model name and modify that. And remember that this is all untested so if you try it, let me know if it does anything unexpected.

Quote:
I've never tried to save an eepe file although I do have Companion installed and working.
I don't think 2.2 uses eepe files. Now they call them something else.
Last edited by Miami Mike; Aug 31, 2017 at 03:10 PM.
Aug 31, 2017, 03:48 PM
Multifaceted Heli Nut
WOW Mike! That's a bunch of effort and I really appreciate it You gave me a bunch of good data that I should be able to learn from and build on for future models. Can't wait to see how it works.

I will definitely make a model copy and work with that. You Sir are a gentleman and a scholar (what a friend always says to me when I patiently teach him something )
Sep 02, 2017, 10:31 PM
Multifaceted Heli Nut
Well Mike, I finally had some quiet time to sit down and try your mixing solution and immediately am stuck. Was your group of logical switches intended to be set up through Companion? If so, I'm at a dead end. I only know programming via the TX display screen. There are inconsistancies with what you show and what I'm able to input to the logical switch display in my Taranis.

I though this would be (somewhat) easy

Thanks anyway...
Sep 03, 2017, 01:38 PM
Registered Taranis User
Quote:
Originally Posted by heli-headcase
Was your group of logical switches intended to be set up through Companion?
Yes, and with version 2.1.9.

I haven't gotten into version 2.2 because 2.1.9 does everything I want, so I'm not completely familiar with what's changed and what hasn't in 2.2, but I tested this with 2.1.9 and have confidence that what I'm showing you here will also work with 2.2.

Ordinarily you'd use inputs from the Inputs page where you can set up multiple rates and exponential, but in this simplified example I'm reading the sticks directly. In Companion 2.1.9, the Logical Switches would look like this:

There are three additional columns labeled AND Switch, Duration, and Delay, which are cropped out of the picture because they're left at their default values of ---, 0, and 0, respectively.

On your radio screen they'd look like this:

Ordinarily you'd probably have two aileron channels, one for each of your left and right aileron servos, but in this example CH01 alone represents your aileron channel and CH02 represents your rudder channel. This is a simplified example of what you'd set up on your Mixes page with Companion:

Code:
CH01 (Aile)     Ail Weight(+100%) [Aile]
CH02 (Rudd)     Rud Weight(+100%) [Rud]
             += Ail Weight(+100%) Switch(!L3) [Mix]
On your radio screen they'd look like this:

When you test this in Companion Simulator or your radio you can monitor the CH01 and CH02 indicators to see the mix get switched in and out, and also watch the L3 indicator, which will be off when the mix is activated and on when it's deactivated.

I regard programming the Taranis directly with its buttons as something one might find necessary in the field in order to solve an unexpected problem that crops up, but I would never take on the task of doing a complete model setup that way unless it was extremely simple. My advice to you is to start using Companion.
Latest blog entry: Taranis: Aileron-To-Rudder Mix.
Sep 03, 2017, 08:08 PM
Multifaceted Heli Nut
Okay, I see what's happening now. I do need to dig into Companion as it is the best way to do backups, copying and programming but I've been doing everything in the TX since buying my first Taranis Plus two (three?) years ago and with over 30 models programmed have become comfortable with it. User interface in many technical apps leaves me running in circles trying to understand what just went wrong and what do I do to fix it. It's why I still do mechanical drawings by hand rather than learn a simple CAD package. The learning curve is too steep just to make one little drawing at the moment. But if I'd only learn the darned thing it would make future drawing so much easier!

Let me try this again (sigh) and see if I can soldier through it. Again, much thanks for spending your time to help me
Sep 16, 2017, 10:49 PM
Multifaceted Heli Nut

It Works!

Hi Mike,

I managed to find some quiet time to try out your automatic ail-rud mix programming. I realized that I own three models that can benefit from this configuration so that raised my enthusiasm even more.

Companion is up and running well. The differences between 2.1.9 and 2.2.0 are so minor as to not cause any issues when following your instructions. The one tweak I made to your settings is the percentage of rudder motion needed to kick the aileron control off. I made it a smaller number so less rudder input was required.

Hopefully I can build from this simple mix and learn more on my own. Thanks again
Sep 17, 2017, 07:58 AM
Registered Taranis User
Great!

Just one caution: Taranis programming can be addictive.
Latest blog entry: Taranis: Aileron-To-Rudder Mix.
Sep 17, 2017, 08:35 AM
Multifaceted Heli Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miami Mike
Great!

Just one caution: Taranis programming can be addictive.
Isn't it the programming that is the primary selling point of OTX? Yeah, thought so But in all honesty, I'm not and have never been a "programmer" (my brain isn't the correct model type) so much of the power of OTX is not available to me without lots of help. Fortunately there are many patient people on RCGroups willing to lend a hand.

Thank you