Apr 14, 2017, 10:53 AM
Fan of just about anything RC
Mini-Review

Realacc Orange85 - Does "Orange is the new black" also apply here? (review, wip)

With the Orange 85, Realacc makes an entry in the sub 100 size brushless quadcopter market. While bigger Realacc quads have generally been well received, will this also hold for this smaller one?

Disclaimer: I don't get paid, or in any other way make money with reviews like these. Product specifications and quality may vary at the manufacturer's discretion, and are beyond my influence. I cannot guarantee you will get a product that performs exactly the same as seen and described in this review. There is always room for a general discussion on the reviewed item, feel free to comment, but if you are planning to add a long review, instead of some summarizing remarks, it would be appreciated to put these in a new review topic or on your RCG blog page. And please, no affiliate links!

Note: When clicking a link that is posted in this review, some text or numbers might be added to the link, making it appear to be an affiliate link. However, all links I post in the review are clean, and this addition is done automatically by your browser and forum software, so sadly beyond my influence. If you don’t want this to happen, copy the link, then paste in an address line of a fresh browser window/tab.

For easy navigation, here's a list of contents:

1: Specifications (posting #1)
2: Unboxing (posting #1)
3: Transmitter/Preparing for 1st Flight (posting #1)
4: Flying Performance (posting #1)
5: Preliminary Verdict (posting #1)
6: Suitable for a Beginner? (posting #1)
7: Camera & FPV Performance (posting #2)
8: Additional Tuning, Modifications & Other Info (posting #2)
9: Suggestions for Improvements (posting #2)

1 - Specifications:

First, let's start with a link and a picture,

2 - Unboxing:

The Orange 85 comes in a rather large box, where the quad sits well protected:

The frame is a combination of a thin CF baseplate, and 3D printed parts, like the prop guards, that makes the quad much more rigid. But apart from extra strength due to the bulky prop guards, it's also rather heavy, weight without battery is already 92g.

At the rear we see 2 leds, and a buzzer:

On the front left, there is a micro USB port, to allow connection to a computer:

The finish on the the prop guards is quite rough:

3 – Transmitter/Preparing for 1st Flight:

I received the FrSky version of this quadcopter. To bind with Taranis, press the bind button on the receiver while connecting the battery, then set the transmitter to bind to a suitable memory spot in D8 mode.

The flight controller comes with Betaflight 3.1.5 installed, so a pretty new version. Most of the settings were kept at stock, all I changed was the programming of modes, adding LedLow to be able to switch off the leds when flying FPV, and some deadband on the receiver tab.

Screenshots of some of the most critical settings, and a full CLI dump, will be added to the second message in this thread.

4 - Flying Performance:

First indoor test hover didn't go well. The quad showed a rapidly increasing drift to the right side. Based upon experience with other quads with similar issues, some self made rubber rings were fitted between the FC board and the mounting screws.

The next indoor hover went much better, no real drifting was perceived. So time to try outdoor, even though it was quite windy today.

Realacc Orange85 - First Test in gusty breeze (1 min 34 sec)

The quad handles the breeze really well, and also has good power.

5 - Preliminary Verdict:

The first impression of the Orange 85 is that is looks and feels bulky, as unpolished as the surface of the 3D printed parts. However, looks can be deceiving. It's actually a pretty smooth and powerful flyer, both LoS and FPV. Featuring good FPV range, and a decent image quality. With the stock props there is a little jello effect on throttle punches, and the flight time is a little short. Apart from that, it's an enjoyable FPV quadcopter, that will likely perform even better with some modifications, making it lighter.

Pros:

- Sturdy design
- Good power with stock 3S battery
- Buzzer
- Leds that can be disabled through transmitter
- Recent BF firmware version
- Flies well with stock settings
- 4 spare props, in different color, allows to give front props different color than rear, for LoS flying

Cons:

- Rough finish on 3D printed parts
- Heavy
- May show drift issues in self leveling modes, despite FC being mounted on silicone/rubber washers
- Noisy
- Short flight times, around 3 minutes
- Props are fragile

6 - Suitable for a beginner?

As rule of thumb, powerful brushless quads and beginners don't match very well. However, this particular example is build rather ruggedly, and if there is some help available to get through the binding and setup process, this Orange 85 might work out.

(to be continued)
Last edited by SoloProFan; Apr 19, 2017 at 12:45 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Apr 14, 2017, 10:53 AM
7 - Camera & FPV Performance:

The FPV camera is already mounted at an angle, which will probably do for most FPV pilots, unless flying it really aggressively, requiring massive uptilt. Adjusting the FPV frequency is easy, short presses of the button on top cycles the channel numbers 1 to 8, a longer press allows band selection, and a very long press allows to power down the VTX, or enable it.

The FPV signal is nice and strong, and there is very little static when I fly the quad to the tree in the middle of my main flying spot, as this video shows:

Realacc Orange 85 - FPV flight with some flips (2 min 43 sec)

Also, rolls are executed rather smoothly

8 – Additional Tuning, Modifications & Other Info

9 – Suggestions for Improvements:
Last edited by SoloProFan; Apr 19, 2017 at 12:49 PM.
Apr 15, 2017, 03:21 AM
Fan of pusher multirotors
It looks positively bulletproof, I'm interested.

On a side note, I'm consistently annoyed that these shrouded frames aren't configured as pushers. I get it why normal quads aren't, but when you have integrated guards (and not ducts) building it as a pusher only has positives: the props are no more vulnerable than in traditional configuration and you don't have to push airflow past those thick struts. Only the Owl design got it right, and even then people keep building that as a puller anyway.
Last edited by Tachikoma; Apr 15, 2017 at 03:30 AM.
Apr 15, 2017, 04:04 AM
It definitely feels as solid as it looks. Small spoiler, the 3d printed parts are pretty rough finish. Might be prototype/rushed production thing, or just the limits of cheap 3D printing. First impression, apart from that, is pretty good though. Camera has a decent uptilt angle, and at the back a combo board with 2 leds and a buzzer can be found. 2 leds would be enough for LoS flying, but not as power hungry as the 4 or 6 leds that we see on many Eachine products.
Apr 15, 2017, 07:19 AM
Mine was shipped in fast services since 2 week s ....
Latest blog entry: Youbi XV-130 130MM FPV Racer
Apr 15, 2017, 07:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tachikoma
It looks positively bulletproof, I'm interested.

On a side note, I'm consistently annoyed that these shrouded frames aren't configured as pushers. I get it why normal quads aren't, but when you have integrated guards (and not ducts) building it as a pusher only has positives: the props are no more vulnerable than in traditional configuration and you don't have to push airflow past those thick struts. Only the Owl design got it right, and even then people keep building that as a puller anyway.
That s exactly What i think, especially for such small props. You loose flight time and punch out with these guards. I m building (very slowly) a pusher frame That nobody talks about, ie the tarot 140 frame. It is a bit heavy but you can fly los too because of its size. I Will soon present it. I use 6500kv 1104 with 2s or 3s and 3030 or 3020 props. 110gr auw in 2s without fpv rig.

This is the tarot https://www.google.fr/search?q=tarot...DNI7oYU2TCS-M:
Last edited by newtoon; Apr 15, 2017 at 07:33 AM.
Apr 15, 2017, 07:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeByDocKy
Mine was shipped in fast services since 2 week s ....
Fast shipping might mean more attention by customs. Or you just got unlucky this time, shipping times are usually quite random. For instance, I'm still waiting for the Arfun 90.

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoon
That s exactly What i think, especially for such small props. You loose flight time and punch out with these guards. I m building (very slowly) a pusher frame That nobody talks about, ie the tarot 140 frame. It is a bit heavy but you can fly los too because of its size. I Will soon present it. I use 6500kv 1104 with 2s or 3s and 3030 or 3020 props. 110gr auw in 2s without fpv rig.

This is the tarot https://www.google.fr/search?q=tarot...DNI7oYU2TCS-M:

There is a topic about the Tarot 140:

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...iden-flight-to

Pretty interesting frame, though may not appeal to everyone. I remember the view from the FPV camera resembling a cockpit.
Apr 15, 2017, 08:10 AM
Time For Me To Fly!
I like the looks of this one. Hopefully it is a good performer. Subbed and looking forward to more info.
Latest blog entry: Brushless Micros Sure AR FUN!!
Apr 15, 2017, 08:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoon
I m building (very slowly) a pusher frame That nobody talks about, ie the tarot 140 frame. I
Not only is it a pusher, but also a + configuration - interesting! I'll be reading its thread and waiting for your update
Apr 15, 2017, 09:11 AM
FC is soft mounted stock on this one, but it still has progressive angle mode drift...

Also the motors protrude quite far above the guards, to the prop that hit the couch, as the quad wanted to tilt further to the right, is now missing a blade.
Apr 15, 2017, 09:56 AM
Methinks it's time to grab those 1935 triblades...
Apr 15, 2017, 11:27 AM
Are the 5 blade props notorious for causing vibrations?
Apr 15, 2017, 11:53 AM
If the 3D printed prop guard is crash résistent.... can be a nice little suprize... Of course... if no major drift, FoD are reported ...
Latest blog entry: Youbi XV-130 130MM FPV Racer
Apr 15, 2017, 12:14 PM
Currently unflyable in self leveling modes. I think I will try the same self made rubber washers that so far have fixed all 3 Aurora quadcopters from the progressive drift issue these were having. Btw, the green Jumper X86 has hard mounted FC, and no drift.
Apr 18, 2017, 04:25 PM
Added pictures and unboxing report. Issues with drifting have been solved, more updates to follow soon.