This thread is privately moderated by crxmanpat, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Apr 13, 2017, 04:50 PM
Foam abuser!
Thread OP
Build Log

Freewing 90mm F-16C in Texas ANG Anniversary colors

Been a while since I've started a new blog. A few weeks ago I picked up the Freewing 90mm Super Scale F-16C from Motion RC while I wait for their new twin 80mm A-10 to arrive. I have always loved the old school blue/yellow scheme that the 111FS of the Texas ANG did for their 90th Anniversary, and had planned to do this to a Phase 3 F-16, but never got around to it. So I decided to do this scheme on the Freewing bird.

The plane is built and painted, with most decals applied. But there were a few items that were oversized and I'm having them redone. The graphics come from Callie Graphics, and I highly recommend her for any of your needs regarding specialized markings. Her work is outstanding, and she's quick to fix any errors. I got mine in 1/10th scale, and all but a few lettering items, the size is perfect.

All of the painting was done with Testors rattle can, and she will get a total of 3 coats of Minwax Water-Based Polycrylic once the final declas have been applied.

Going completely stock on this one, and will use Turnigy Graphene 6S 5000 and RoaringTop 6S 5800 in her.

One of the detail items I did was paint all of the landing gear interior white.

Hopefully the maiden will be either this Sunday or next weekend.

Pat
to remove ads between posts
Apr 13, 2017, 06:51 PM
Foam abuser!
Thread OP
The revised decals came in from Callie today and they are perfect!

All I have left to do is paint the dark gray trim on the intake lip, then hit it with 3 coats of Minwax.

Pat
Apr 13, 2017, 07:22 PM
AA6JB
NICE job there Pat!
Apr 13, 2017, 11:42 PM
Foam abuser!
Thread OP
Thanks Jon!

Pat
Apr 17, 2017, 11:04 AM
Foam abuser!
Thread OP
Did the maiden yesterday at our club Fun Fly. Everything went great except for the landing. She survived it ok, but I have a few small plastic pieces to replace on the nose gear. The colors really popped in the bright blue sky.

My issue was I was landing right to left (left to right is my normal pattern). At this particular field, which we lease from the city and is right next to their maintenance yard, they have dropped in a fenced off construction equipment area off to the right of our runway. The edge of their 6' high fence is about 20' from our outer boundary, which is then another 50' to the edge of the runway. My approach was too high and I went around once, but came in high again and was going to go long and we have very little overrun. Didn't want to put it in the bushes, so I bounced the landing.

Everything is fixed except for two minor parts. One of the plastic collars holding the nose strut in place broke, and the pins on one of the front gear door hinges broke. Those items will be ordered from Motion tomorrow. Thankfully both are in stock.

Pat
Nov 18, 2020, 11:01 AM
Still Screamin'!
Love the way you did this plane. I haven't seen it at the field? Do you still have it?
Nov 18, 2020, 11:02 AM
Foam abuser!
Thread OP
Sadly it crashed a long time ago in St George trying to land in a sudden cross wind.

Pat
Nov 18, 2020, 11:03 AM
Still Screamin'!
Bummer, sorry Pat. Would love to have seen it in person.
Mar 22, 2024, 03:48 PM
Hey guy, sorry but couldn't pm u through here. It's there any way I could get a copy of the build sheets for the saab draken I bought from you a year back or so? Please King Chancellor
Mar 25, 2024, 04:53 AM
Foam abuser!
Thread OP
King,

Email me at crxmanpat@gmail.com and I will send you the build manual.

Pat

Quick Reply