The X-Racer X-1 ultra-micro FPV drone - RC Groups
Apr 12, 2017, 09:03 PM
Discussion

The X-Racer X-1 ultra-micro FPV drone

Hi Folks ! I have been on the search for a nice indoor FPV micro quad to complement the sweet Tiny Whoop Racer (TWR) that I got recently.

I recently purchased the F3 based Warlark 80 which has a 80mm frame, 35mm ducted fan props with 7.16mm motors, plus the unique novelty of an OSD for a microquad. It flew well, and was great fun, but to be honest the camera was awful, transitioning from color to black and white in low-light conditions which was quite annoying, so the verdict was nice at times, but not quite there!

Somewhat disappointed, I was still looking, and became interested in the new FPVModel X-Racer X-1 ultra-micro FPV drone. The specs are quite interesting, and as it has been recently released, I am again turning to the rcgroups.com forum family for any reviews and feedback on another potential purchase.

I was REALLY interested in picking up a EMAX Babyhawk, but even toned-down, it may still be a handful for indoor FPV, which is what I can really do at the moment, due to work obligations. Also, I am beginning to see a few posts of Babyhawk owners who have been having desyncing issues, although I still love this new micro from EMAX.

What should I pick up, the X-Racer X1 or EMAX Babyhawk??? ... Please help me make the logically best choice for indoor FPV!

https://www.fpvmodel.com/x-racer-x-1...nal_g1262.html

Some YouTube videos:
X-Racer X-1 Micro Quad (3 min 3 sec)

X-1 Build & Binding (7 min 25 sec)

X-Racer X1 - Micro FPV drone (2 min 17 sec)

X-Racer X1 - DVR (4 min 47 sec)
Last edited by dalturbo; Apr 13, 2017 at 12:05 AM. Reason: Adding pictures
to remove ads between posts
Apr 12, 2017, 09:51 PM
$79 BNF including two batteries is a good deal. I will watch for reviews as well...
Apr 13, 2017, 12:11 AM
We've got several people doing reviews at the moment. I suspect after this weekend you'll have a few different viewpoints on it coming from different reviewers. Look to find it on Oscar Liang's blog and BMSWebs youtube channel fairly soon.
Apr 13, 2017, 12:31 AM
Thanks for that info fpvmodels, I will certainly be looking out for them!
Apr 13, 2017, 03:58 AM
Any plans for Flysky option
Apr 19, 2017, 07:27 PM

Oscar Liang has a review up

Finally, some reviews are coming out !

Oscar Liang now has a review up of the DIY kit. His review starts off with the line "Seriously, the X-Racer X1 could be the Tiny Whoop killer."

Would love to see more coming out now.

https://oscarliang.com/x-racer-x1-micro-quad/
Apr 28, 2017, 02:56 AM
Interested to know whether this quad is already tuned to fly similar to the Inductrix?
May 16, 2017, 12:25 AM
THE KHRASH PAD
Received mine in the mail today. Bound and calibrated and modes set up. Recharging =)
May 20, 2017, 11:34 PM
THE KHRASH PAD
@fpvmodels. I absolutely love mine except for one thing, the camera does not sit evenly, as there really isn't a bracket for it. So it often gets uneven which throws you off when you're flying.

Any recommended enhancement to keep the camera in place and level? Did anyone glue it in place?

Planning on doing a longer review with some FPV footage once I get the camera stable.
May 21, 2017, 01:11 AM
@fpvmodels - great job on X1 its an awesome looking little quad, and Strief I hope you find a solution to the camera issue and look forward to your review...
May 21, 2017, 12:11 PM
THE KHRASH PAD
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom bd bad
@fpvmodels - great job on X1 its an awesome looking little quad, and Strief I hope you find a solution to the camera issue and look forward to your review...
Here's my Mini Review ... I'll look to update and get some video as soon as possible. Right now the camera shifts every time it flies so I've spent more time fiddling about than getting some flight time with it.

Here's what is great so far:
- Frame design and antenna routing. I broke the 12.9 mm bit off my VTX on the Warlark yesterday when it skidded upside down on brick. This frame remedies that deficiency. Very very smart design. I am a serial antennae killer so respect this greatly =).
- Size/weight
- You can make the lights flash with the buzzer function (hehe, seriously, try binding the buzz to a switch)
- Very stable flier from my LOS flights. Feels locked in and precise.
- Battery fitment (and availability to get spares here in Canada lot).
- The soft case is just sexy and makes me love it more.

To be determined
- Best way to lock my camera in place - perhaps it came ajar in a carpet crash.
- Whether I am flying a warped frame or the angle is by design (think v-tail but very slight). Seems stable to me =).

Questions for FPVModels or other owners:

1) I notice that my frame looks like the legs are kicked out. At first I thought this was frame warping because I was going sideways. Then I realized the camera was uneven, that's why I was going sideways. I did some LOS testing and was able to navigate just fine.
So is my frame damaged by shipping from GB, or are the ducted fans meant to direct the thrust slightly inwards? Please see photos.
Curious to see other owners.

2) Do you have any advice for seating the camera? Was it originally meant to be glued in place?
May 25, 2017, 07:51 PM
THE KHRASH PAD
I've "fixed" the camera alignment issue. I also bit the bullet and started a YouTube channel so I would have a place to post this (and fpv goggle feeds & shiba inu vids for my nephews).

In the end, a tiny bit of 2-sided tape "fixed" it. AND NOW I LOVE THIS THING. Fast, stable and precise.

X-Racer X1 - simple fix for the camera alignment issue - after which this thing is a blast! (5 min 53 sec)
Jun 03, 2017, 12:33 AM
THE KHRASH PAD

Some outdoors FPV footage (with special guest lol)

Got some unexpected company on the FPV footage. Nice performance outdoors on a warm spring day, camera seemed great as I was flying in and out of shadows. No real attempts to acro as I was visiting family with a yard bounded by hedges and power lines.

X-Racer X1 Review Part 2: Fpv footage + Shiba Inu on autofollow (1 min 24 sec)
Jun 03, 2017, 05:34 AM
[ncux]
After update to Betaflight 3.1.7 i lost control to frsky receiver.
Some one can advice to setup receiver? Also please provide resource output from controller?
Jun 04, 2017, 11:30 AM
THE KHRASH PAD
Quote:
Originally Posted by mugz
After update to Betaflight 3.1.7 i lost control to frsky receiver.
Some one can advice to setup receiver? Also please provide resource output from controller?
Unless someone else like @FPVmodels beats me to it I'll go in and get some screenshots of the stock setup today / tonight - rainy day in Toronto today lol.