Apr 13, 2017, 06:09 PM
So what size of battery would you use in this??? bangood list 1500-2600mah 6s.

1500mah seems a little low for a heli swinging 420mm blades..... align 470 uses 1500mah batteries. i would ahve expected this to take larger batteries for 5 minutes of flight
to remove ads between posts
Apr 13, 2017, 07:16 PM
Genius man
470 uses up to 1800 mah lipo as per the Align manual. On mine I am using 1550 mah lipo and after 4 and half minutes the lipo cells are at a voltage of 3.89 volts each for a head speed of 2750 rpm.
Last edited by denis747; Apr 13, 2017 at 07:22 PM.
Apr 13, 2017, 11:41 PM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by jombo
I have this motor coming and these servos with a 60 amp yep . Just waiting on servos and motor .
https://hobbyking.com/en_us/rotorsta...820-930kv.html
https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigyt...05sec-21g.html
All good options, I'll add them to my list to ponder!
Apr 13, 2017, 11:42 PM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by bazsound
So what size of battery would you use in this??? bangood list 1500-2600mah 6s.

1500mah seems a little low for a heli swinging 420mm blades..... align 470 uses 1500mah batteries. i would ahve expected this to take larger batteries for 5 minutes of flight
I was thinking 6S 2200mAh. Apparently anything smaller in the 420 leaves it very tail heavy.
Apr 14, 2017, 05:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetPlaneFlyer
I was thinking 6S 2200mAh. Apparently anything smaller in the 420 leaves it very tail heavy.
Makes more sense to use extra capacity rather than just dead weight to balance it out. Looking forward to see how this kit comes together and flys!!!
Apr 14, 2017, 07:35 AM
if you want better balance a few things have to be done to shove the lipo forward. the first thing I did was to relocate the cano mounts one whole dang centimeter by DRILLING TWO NEW HOLES forward of the original ones and putting a nut behind them, then, moving the lipo more forward on the lipo tray. There was another thing I did but you don't "need to know".

Why the tail is heavy is sab's guess. My solutions won't see fruition until there's a lot of money to invest, one day at a time however, don't wait for me to help you any further,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,alz.

(I'm going to keep my redesigns to myself for now and the whole world can foff 'cause I was doing things with other interests that were years ahead of top names in their respective industries, never made a dime off the advanced design and style though, we're talking bicycles)
Apr 14, 2017, 09:21 AM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Thread OP
From skimming the forums it seems like the tail heavy thing is a common challenge on the 380 and 420.
It's always better to remove weight from the tail rather than add weight to the nose, but in this case there is no obvious way to trim weight from the tail end. Realistically all I can do is keep what weight I add as far forward as possible. Some seem to fit an oversize ESC's to act as ballast. Maybe SAB should have made the frame a bit longer that the front?

Anyway I'll cover this in the build log once the heli arrives.
Apr 14, 2017, 04:56 PM
I'd like to show some preliminary side frame mods but I aren't fond of the photobucket process really all that much. When I consult a friend to cut cf parts with cnc the mod basically puts the esc up top in front of the motor. It needs one or two details like spacers between the mod plates (attaches to the existing side frames at no additional expense). Then I made up a completely reconfigured side frame and concept chassis and canopy for a 420 (slow to get it public because initiative is low due to many other interests taking priority).

The 380 was perfectly balanced when an end section of a 22006s was about a cm in front of the frame's profile, pushing it further forward only achieved by relocating the mounts. My 380 also has 12mm cut off the trailing edge among a few other small things to streamline it.
Last edited by icanflyheli; Apr 14, 2017 at 05:03 PM.
Apr 14, 2017, 09:17 PM
Corning, California
Quote:
From skimming the forums it seems like the tail heavy thing is a common challenge on the 380 and 420.
It's always better to remove weight from the tail rather than add weight to the nose, but in this case there is no obvious way to trim weight from the tail end. Realistically all I can do is keep what weight I add as far forward as possible. Some seem to fit an oversize ESC's to act as ballast. Maybe SAB should have made the frame a bit longer that the front?

Anyway I'll cover this in the build log once the heli arrives.
I'm running Pulse 1800 packs in the D380 and it's balanced pretty well to my liking. A longer boom on the 420 will probably be tail heavy so I ordered a Pulse 2600 for the 420 and tried it out on the D380 today and it was nose heavy but flew ok for big air stuff, felt like a pig but gave me another minute. Put the 1800 back in and flew it without the canopy and it smacked pretty well and didn't feel tail heavy to me. I'm thinking I might try a 2200 in the 420 as well when it arrives. Really liking this bird, can't fly it enough
Apr 17, 2017, 10:41 AM
Use the flybar young Padawan
Are we is it there yet are is it we there yet .
Apr 17, 2017, 11:09 AM
Genius man
Quote:
According to this project .
Apr 17, 2017, 12:04 PM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Thread OP
Quote:
On slow boat from China as we speak....
Apr 17, 2017, 12:11 PM
Quote:
On slow boat from China as we speak....
but worth the wait :-)
Apr 17, 2017, 12:26 PM
Genius man
I am looking forward to the build.
Apr 17, 2017, 12:43 PM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by denis747
I am looking forward to the build.
Yeah, me too. I'm not even sure where it is at the moment because it was marked as shipped on the 13th according to my Banggood account, but the tracking number i have still doesnt even acknowledge that it's been picked up by the courier, let alone actually gone anywhere

Such are the joys of buying from overseas I'll just have to be patient I guess.

Quick Reply