Apr 12, 2017, 01:48 PM
www.scotiarc.co.uk - OMP Helis
Thread OP
Build Log

ALZRC Devil 420 FAST - build log

So i got a nice surprise yesterday, those nice people at BangGood asked me to do a build review of the new ALZRC Devil 420 FAST So I've not got the kit yet but it's sitting ready to ship in my BangGood account, so hopefully it will be here in a week or two.

This is the heli for those who havent seen it before: ALZRC Devil 420 FAST at BangGood

The Devil 420 FAST is basically a stretch of the Devil 380 FAST, which most people will know is a clone of the Goblin 380. I've not made my mind up on build spec yet but the ALZRC motor and servos look like great value so chances are that's the way i'll go.

Motor: http://www.banggood.com/ALZRC-Devil-...l?rmmds=search
Swash Servos: http://www.banggood.com/ALZRC-DS452M...l?rmmds=search
Tail Servo: http://www.banggood.com/ALZRC-Devil-...l?rmmds=search

ESC I'm not sure on, I think the Hobbywing 60A that commonly gets fitted to the 380 may be a bit on the small side for the 420, so maybe the HW 80A would be the ticket? FBL might depend on what i can get hold of at a good price but a Kbar is the fallback option.

A quick pic:
to remove ads between posts
Apr 12, 2017, 02:15 PM
shouldve been playin starcraft
ive bought it 3 days ago as a replacement kit for my 380 lucky you!
Apr 12, 2017, 02:30 PM
Heligamist
Don't forget telemetry !!
Apr 12, 2017, 05:42 PM
that's a pretty nice arrangement you made there.

Crazy is yesterday morning was thinking about why no time has been put into my df380 since I got it over a year ago, I was waiting for pulley upgrade parts along with the revised hub (which I dutifully advised after some doods touched tail and later got a dislodged blade or two. The fact was made aware over at hf and the "not another clone" or so topic on the Devil Fast Alz product that's on first page again) (whew) well low and beholden. I ordered the hub and pulley upgrade past 2016 dec22 and it's what date today? how long did it take to arrive? O-M-G, 10 am and check the mail and much to my surprise there it was.

anyway, the pulley upgrade should be a must if it wasn't included with the kit as is the hub. The tail runs a higher tooth count pulley because the main output pulley for the tail is higher count to compensate for a lower rpm on the main blades (I think that's how it goes, edumecate us on that if you might).

You getting the plastic "Spirit" version or full metal jacket?

I'm not sure if the tensioner has to consist of the spring loading or only two guide pulleys as seen on Blade 500cfx and similar belt driven tail helis. The two guide pulleys would be enough only less versatile in drastic temperature changes and needing small belt tension adjustments due to hot/cold effect on rubber.
Last edited by icanflyheli; Apr 12, 2017 at 05:51 PM.
Apr 12, 2017, 08:49 PM
Corning, California
My D420 is on the way, hopefully not on the slow boat. Love my D380 alot, should be even better. I sold my T500 to make room for the 420, can't wait. I have a Scorpion 1000kv, HW60a, KST cyclics, Align 525m tail servo and AR7200BX on the 380. The D420 will have all the same except for ALZRC motor and esc which is a HW60A. I think the esc will work fine
Apr 12, 2017, 09:47 PM
rc user
420mm blades- getting close to what Align used to call a 500 size heli.
Apr 13, 2017, 12:13 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdooley
420mm blades- getting close to what Align used to call a 500 size heli.
Yes it is, but being a stretch of a smaller heli it should be lighter.
Apr 13, 2017, 12:16 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by icanflyheli
You getting the plastic "Spirit" version or full metal jacket?
It's the heli in the link in my opening post. Going by the description I think it's the one with plastic parts. That's fine though plastic seems to be only used in low stress parts like the servo mounts which is probably a good idea as it should save some weight.
Last edited by Smoggie; Apr 13, 2017 at 03:48 AM.
Apr 13, 2017, 04:18 AM
I am very curious about this build log! Knowing that you got pretty much all of the big brand helis I am curious about your opinion on the quality.
My devil 450 kits are ok but show weakness once you really push it.
That being said they say the Devil 380 is great even on helifreak. Some guys say quality is better than the original.

I got a servoset and a kbar I could put to use in one of these.
Apr 13, 2017, 06:57 AM
Another "upgrade" should be the swash plate lower. A lot of doods may not know this but the lower level swash in the sab flat engineering puts more friction on the swivel ball as there is leverage pushing against the ball and main shaft with swash plate angle

It's competitive to take someone's original design and say AHAH you don't improve your part I do and makey more money from improvement than you, you don care about part? too bad'cause I can make many improvements if you are too lazy or thupid to see goeden oportunity, ahah, lol.

All kidding asided, ,,,,,,,,,aside the improvements alz is making are very welcome and significant.

I could redesign the 380/420 to be a real "500" rather a 450 in terms of blade length of those whipping 425mm blades without going too far off the original design. A swash plate upgrade is as close as finding a Blade 500 or trex 500 one or some other standard design 8mm id swash plate.

(Ohh man, we could play with concepts forever)

One mod everyone can make with a pair of scissors is to cut one centimeter of canopy off the trailing end parallel with the existing trailing edge. It makes the canopy slightly more attractive and lines up the contours just that much better.
Last edited by icanflyheli; Apr 13, 2017 at 07:03 AM.
Apr 13, 2017, 02:48 PM
Original taste! Mountain dew!
Subscription.
Apr 13, 2017, 03:38 PM
Thread OP
By the way, feel free to click on the Link to the heli on the opening post. This tracks how many have viewed the heli as result of my build review!.. So click away!
Apr 13, 2017, 03:59 PM
Use the flybar young Padawan
Hopefully bang u up goods sends it , mine was cancelled when I tried ordering one . And maybe it will have only one shoe print on it lol
Apr 13, 2017, 04:04 PM
Thread OP
Well it's showing as shipped and I have a tracking number, so looking promising so far.

I need to get an order in for the electronics sooner rtaher than later. For servos it's either the ALZRC ones or good old KST. The KST DS215MG and DS565X are very popular on helis of this size. I understand that the ALZRC DS452MG cyclics are re-labelled KST's
Apr 13, 2017, 04:32 PM
Use the flybar young Padawan
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetPlaneFlyer
Well it's showing as shipped and I have a tracking number, so looking promising so far.

I need to get an order in for the electronics sooner rtaher than later. For servos it's either the ALZRC ones or good old KST. The KST DS215MG and DS565X are very popular on helis of this size. I understand that the ALZRC DS452MG cyclics are re-labelled KST's
I have this motor coming and these servos with a 60 amp yep . Just waiting on servos and motor .
https://hobbyking.com/en_us/rotorsta...820-930kv.html
https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigyt...05sec-21g.html

Quick Reply