Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Apr 12, 2017, 12:49 PM
Discussion

Long Range Volume Control

Good Afternoon,

My name is Josh. I am the owner of the outdoor product company Juvie Juke Box. We make electronic snow goose callers that our customers can use during special seasons in the US and in both the Fall and Spring in Canada. We currently have our units running off a 400-800w marine grade amp, which gets sound from an MP3 player. We have searched high and low for being able to adjust the volume wirelessly and have come up with nothing but frustration. I have seen coyote hunting callers with the ability to adjust volume from up to 300 feet away but can not figure out how. I realize this isn't about remote controlling planes but it seems like this forum is overflowing with super knowledgeable people of remotes in general!

My question is does anyone know of a way to accomplish this? We have messed with bluetooth stuff and nothing we have tested works past about 10-15 feet which is not justifiable in adding to our products since most customers (and ourselves) would like to control volume from at least 50 feet.

Thanks!
to remove ads between posts
Apr 12, 2017, 02:56 PM
What are you using to connect with Bluetooth? A smartphone? Not much alternatives if that's the case...

If you're using a propriety handheld unit you can use a Zigbee modules but that's way overkill since it's basically a wireless RS-232 cable that can send a lot more than just a volume control, depending on how your volume control actually works.

Or use one of the simpler modules here such as the ones meant for use with car FOBs:
http://www.radiometrix.com/our-produ...ecoder+Modules

You can also search Digikey or Mouser for a suitable radio module.

Also, "Power Systems" is probably the wrong place forum for this. Maybe "DIY electronics" is better?
Last edited by DKNguyen; Apr 12, 2017 at 03:02 PM.
Apr 12, 2017, 03:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKNguyen
What are you using to connect with Bluetooth? A smartphone? Not much alternatives if that's the case...

If you're using a propriety handheld unit you can use a Zigbee modules but that's way overkill since it's basically a wireless RS-232 cable that can send a lot more than just a volume control, depending on how your volume control actually works.

Or use one of the simpler modules here such as the ones meant for use with car FOBs:
http://www.radiometrix.com/our-produ...ecoder+Modules

You can also search Digikey or Mouser for a suitable radio module.

Also, "Power Systems" is probably the wrong place forum for this. Maybe "DIY electronics" is better?
We are using the AUX connection on the amp and run that to an MP3 player. We are pretty much open to anything if it gets us to the point of controlling volume remotely though. I'll check out those connections. And yeah I wasn't sure where to post this as the forum is huge! I will start a thread in that. Thanks so much for the help
Apr 12, 2017, 09:31 PM
Sokol
you could attach a servo to the shaft of the volume potentiometer of an audio amplifier.
The servo may be controlled via an RC transmitter and Receiver pair.
Is this what you had in mind ?
Apr 13, 2017, 08:38 AM
JureZ are you refering to something along these lines?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ALPS-Remote-...183?rmvSB=true

This would more than likely work, we just weren't sure how to go about wiring them but looks like the spinning part would go into the gain adjustment on the amp and that would basically control the volume then? We will have to order a few different models of those and mess with them. Ideally we would like 1 remote to turn the unit on/off as well as control volume that way people aren't messing with 2 remotes.
Apr 14, 2017, 08:20 AM
homo ludens modellisticus
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKNguyen
... "Power Systems" is probably the wrong place forum for this. Maybe "DIY electronics" is better?
www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?2869816-Long-Range-Volume-Control&
Apr 14, 2017, 08:54 AM
Sokol
thanks for the updated link, Ron.

Quick Reply