This thread is privately moderated by 1000MPH, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Apr 12, 2017, 12:07 PM
Objects in mirror are losing
Thread OP
Build Log

JW60" - The Quick Build Sessions #2

Time to start on JW #2 in my Quick Build series. I'm pretty sure this one wont be finished for the Spring season.

Like the others, this one will be built from the JW "Classic" kit available from jwglider.com.
Standard sized servos: Tower Hobbies TS-64 (OEM versions of the now discontinued Hitec HS 635).
4 cell AA nimh battery pack, also from Tower.
2 layers of Bidi strapping tape and a simple covering design using Hobby King covering.
The fin will be the stock coroplast and the balsa elevons will probably not be glassed.
This one will be built with the stock carbon tubes instead of the solid fiberglass rod spars used on #1 build.
Target weight is around 50oz.
Last edited by 1000MPH; Apr 06, 2018 at 09:49 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Apr 13, 2017, 10:47 AM
Thread OP
Pushrod tunnels have been melted. After double-checking the servo fit, I ended up moving the tunnels in a few mms. That's why they aren't centered between my guidelines.
Last edited by 1000MPH; Apr 14, 2017 at 10:23 AM.
Apr 19, 2017, 11:37 AM
Thread OP
Only getting a few mins to work on this lately...
Servos have been installed with 5 min epoxy.
Last edited by 1000MPH; Apr 25, 2017 at 09:58 AM.
Apr 28, 2017, 12:36 PM
Thread OP
Servos and radio gear bays are covered. The goop is drying on the carbon TE.
May 11, 2017, 09:51 AM
Thread OP
Back to work on the QB JW60 #2.
I thin gooped the raw EPP yesterday but thought I would weigh it first.
22.3oz
Last night I gave the bottom of the wing a wet spackle job.
I did a rough sanding this morning then wet spackled the top. (no pics)
In case you were wondering, I've found that a wetted out spackle sticks to the gooped EPP better.
May 12, 2017, 09:39 AM
Thread OP
Pics of the bottom. Spackle/Sanding routine is almost complete.
I like to get this almost perfect even if it takes a few cycles.
May 17, 2017, 09:47 AM
Thread OP
I'm trying something new in order to achieve a smoother finish.
Lately I've been getting a slightly bumpy finish that I think is being caused by the goop raising the grain, so to speak, of the EPP. It could be the latex in the spackle, it could be that I'm using less goop over the spackle and the thinner coat is exposing the bumps.
Anyway, I've gooped the spackle on the bottom of this wing and I've now applied a really thin coat of spackle again. Once this has dried and been sanded, I'm going with 3M77 before the tape is applied. Aaron uses it and his finish is the best I've seen.
Once I'm sure the finish is smooth, then I can see if it's the heat from the iron that is part of the problem. Aaron doesn't use an iron much if at all.
May 17, 2017, 09:42 PM
Thread OP
The spackle final coat has dried and been sanded. The wing is very smooth now. I'm almost tempted to use goop but I'll stick with the 3M77.
This will have to wait until after I go flying.
May 31, 2017, 11:32 AM
Thread OP
Sidetracked by a slope safari and an elevon upgrade project on QB #1. This IS flying season after all!
I contemplated using a small shim of fixed TE only as wide as the fuse but decided against it and went for 3" of fixed TE at the root like QB #1. This required a quick spackle and sand.

JW48 "Whackrobatics" (1 min 13 sec)

JW48 "Whacrobatics" 2 (0 min 57 sec)
Last edited by 1000MPH; May 31, 2017 at 11:53 AM.
Jun 01, 2017, 09:50 AM
Thread OP
I did a quick experiment and laminated 2 pieces of balsa together with a short bit of carbon tow on the TE. Laminated with epoxy and bagged with the foodsaver because...why not.
Yes, I coated the wrong side of the balsa on the top piece.
I sat this under a piece of glass to keep it flat. Will open, trim, and shape a quasi airfoil this evening.
Jun 06, 2017, 11:41 AM
Thread OP
After a weekend of flying JW QB #1 at Weldon, I've decided on a change of plans. I'm no longer trading strength for lightweight. I'll be bagging this fin, the elevons, and adding a bias layer of tape. I will probably switch to a 5 cell as well.
I had a blast with QB#1 doing quick tight maneuvers but it can't handle 150mph plus the way I want it to. Weldon is simply too good of a hill to fly slow.
Jun 10, 2017, 06:32 AM
Thread OP
Balsa fin bagged using food saver method in 3.64oz S-glass. Came out very stiff. 44.2g.
Jun 12, 2017, 04:20 PM
Thread OP
Both top and bottom of wing was spackled, sanded, gooped, then spackled and sanded again.
Then the bottom was sprayed with a healthy coat of 3M77 and left to dry for 8 hours. Taping has begun with the first layer going on tip to tip. A mix of 2" 3M BiDi and 3" BiDi. All smooth sailing so far...
Jun 14, 2017, 11:38 PM
Thread OP
Tip to tip bidi tape has been applied. 28oz
Jun 22, 2017, 09:58 AM
Thread OP
This "Quick Build" is taking forever. Too many distractions.
Almost finished with the third layer of tape.

Quick Reply