Cactus Hopper and Free Plans - Page 2 - RC Groups
Apr 14, 2017, 08:07 PM
Chris,
I've attached a pic of the label on the Dollar Tree Foam Board. It comes in a white sheet of 29-3/4" X 20-1/8" and is a hair shy of 3/16" in thickness. The foam is sandwiched between paper glued to both sides. It is readily available in the US at discount stores including one named "Dollar Tree" where everything costs $1.00 US.

I first learned of it for model airplane use some years ago at www.flitetest.com, and I believe you could still buy it directly from them if you wish. Hope that helps you.

Cheers,
Russ

btw/ I built a Whippit from DTF instead of what Rich used, so you could do the reverse if you modify the dimensions to build a Cactus Hopper with EPP foam instead.
to remove ads between posts
Apr 14, 2017, 11:19 PM
Russ, thanks for posting the plans. I will cut one out as soon as I can.
Jimmy
Apr 15, 2017, 03:54 AM
Thanks Rus
We have a similar material in Australia that I have been using for several years and it comes in a board that's 700mm x 500mm x 5mm and also has the paper covering....BUT the big difference is that it comes in at around AUD $10.00 (about US $7.40)
It is a good sturdy foam ,that cut's nice and crisp. The paper covering adds a lot of strength to the model. I used it to build Rich's Burky 11 as well as part of the Whippit.
Chris...
Apr 15, 2017, 10:23 AM
Jimmy,
Please keep an eye on this thread as I will soon have pictures of the assembly of Cactus Hopper to help.

Russ
Apr 15, 2017, 10:25 AM
Chris,
Wow what a cost difference! Good thing only one sheet is needed to make a Cactus Hopper, with about 1/4 of a sheet left over.
Apr 15, 2017, 02:31 PM
The foam pieces are laminated to form the fuselage and base.
Apr 15, 2017, 02:35 PM
I've found it is easier to paint the parts as desired before beginning assembly.
Apr 16, 2017, 09:15 PM
Russ what material are you using for the rotor head and blade holders. I have a feeling there is enough flexing in the foam blades to relieve servo loads. plywood is much cheaper than g-10 plate. I am working on a set of blades for chippy to see if my theory is right.
Apr 16, 2017, 09:35 PM
RedBaron,
I use 1/8" plywood for the plate, but only when using foam blades. If using wood blades which don't flex, the fibreglass plate is needed.
Apr 17, 2017, 06:27 AM
It's all in the Blades!
Rus,
Nice sound design with a pretty fitting name, look forward to seeing others take to the air, we don't have dollar tree foam board over here but they do some card covered board at Hobby Craft, could it be the same stuff?

keep up the good work

Rich
Apr 17, 2017, 11:01 AM
Thank you Rich!

I took a look at Hobby Craft offerings and did not find the same stuff. When I built your Whippit I used dollar tree foam instead of the foam you used and it worked out fine. I had to adjust your plans to accommodate the differences between the foam types, but that wasn't too bad.

I think others who can't find Dollar Tree Foam could adapt the Cactus Hopper plan to use whatever foam they have available.

Cheers!
Russ