Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Apr 12, 2017, 11:45 AM
Discussion

Cactus Hopper and Free Plans

For the past year or so we have been working on a design of our own we call the Cactus Hopper. We wanted it to be light, strong, inexpensive, and very easy to build. Some other features we wanted were fast blade spin up and wide shock absorbing landing gear which comes in handy for those power off auto rotation landings.

The design utilizes the same equipment we use on our Whippits, in fact you can just unbolt the rotor from a Whippit and bolt it onto the Cactus Hopper. Most of the Cactus Hopper's airframe is made from a single sheet of Dollar Tree Foam Board at a whopping cost of......$1.
Hot glue is our preferred adhesive, but that isn't mandatory. We don't pretend to be accomplished model painters, so we just use spray paint from cans.

We invite you to take a look...we've built 4 of these before reaching the final design. Each one was thoroughly test flown and improvements made along the way.
Cactus Hopper One (4 min 49 sec)

Cheers!
Russ and son Kyle
Last edited by rus1; Apr 14, 2017 at 12:46 PM. Reason: plans requested
to remove ads between posts
Apr 12, 2017, 03:09 PM
This video link is private. Please change it to the public link.
Apr 12, 2017, 03:46 PM
Sorry Ralf, I thought I had the problem fixed but it wasn't. I'm pretty sure the link works correctly now. Thanks for letting me know.

Russ
Apr 12, 2017, 07:05 PM
Some pictures.
Apr 12, 2017, 07:15 PM

Windy Day

A windy day just adds to the fun!
Cactus Hopper Two (6 min 30 sec)
Apr 12, 2017, 09:09 PM
That is so cool russ, I find designing models just as fun as flying the real thing.
Apr 12, 2017, 11:35 PM
Great video Rus....With nice light model ..you can have real fun on a windy day.
Chris...
Apr 13, 2017, 12:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rus1
Sorry Ralf, I thought I had the problem fixed but it wasn't. I'm pretty sure the link works correctly now. Thanks for letting me know.

Russ
Thank you! Now it's working. Nice machine and nice videos and nice flying site. Where I fly there are a lot of trees that try to jump into my way and grab the gyro.
Apr 13, 2017, 11:04 AM
RedBaron,
Thanks! I've found autogiros to be the most difficult model design challenge. In fact without the guidance and knowledge from other GyroNuts, it would have been impossible for me. That said, getting one to fly well with your desired features is very satisfying. I especially like this particular design because I can spend much less time building and more time flying with less concern about crashes or mishaps because I can build a replacement very quickly should the need arise.
Apr 13, 2017, 11:05 AM
Good thing, Chris because we have plenty of windy afternoons here in the desert southwest!
Apr 13, 2017, 11:07 AM
Thanks Ralf. Here in Arizona we have plenty of cactus so we need to pick a place to fly without them. If a cactus jumped out and grabbed our gyro, we would probably have to let it keep the model!
Apr 14, 2017, 12:37 AM
Are you going to make plans for it available? I would like to build one.
Jimmy
Apr 14, 2017, 12:33 PM

Plans

Hi Jimmy,
I'm glad you are interested enough in Cactus Hopper to want to build one. Here are the plans, and the material list.

Cheers,
Russ
Apr 14, 2017, 12:41 PM
The plans print out on legal size paper (8-1/2 "x 14"). Use a glue stick to attach them to poster board, cut out the various parts and trace onto the dollar board. Then cut out the foam pieces.
Last edited by rus1; Apr 14, 2017 at 12:51 PM. Reason: typo correction
Apr 14, 2017, 07:21 PM
Rus Can you please advise me what "dollar tree foam " is ..as it not known in my part of the world.
Chris...