Nov 02, 2019, 03:36 PM
hello Hardy
wonderful flight !
and very good video shot.
Being light is changing all. So this winter I'll try to reduce the weight of mine.
Seems to be very stable including in turns. On mine I set ailerons 2mm up and set 50% differential otherwise it made ugly things during some banked turns.
What about inverted flights? ;-) and harrier?
How long are you flying with your batteries?
Are you using the flaps at take off and landing? how many degree down? any compensation on elevator?
looks like yours ir running quiet good on the ground no trend to pass on the noze. Was the grass very short?
Enjoy it, it is realy nice in the sky. Almost realistic but still a bit fast.
Congratulation. :-)
Last edited by broty; Nov 02, 2019 at 03:42 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 03, 2019, 06:22 AM
Up to now I did not set ailerons to up and I don't use differetial.
But after trimming ailerons at maiden flight, left and right ailerons show a difference of about 4mm to fly straight.
Invert flight I don't do now, maybe later. I'm happy that it don't fly invert itself as my JU-52 did at maiden flight.
Yesterday I checked power-consumption. After 4min flight I had to recharge about 2100mAh to my 4400mAh battery (2x 2200mAh parallel).
This gives an average current of 32A and power of approx. 400W.
There is a tendency to drive to right at the first meters moving at takeoff. But after using rudder and a little bit elevator up for a small time, it becomes neutral.
I use flaps only at landing and sometimes during flight. I did not try at takeoff yet. Flaps in curves are no problem. Flaps are set as in manual and give approx. 30 and I don't need compensation.
There is never a trend to pass on the nose because our grass is low and the ground is flat. But of course you operate in more windy weather and your runway is not perfect.
If I compare our videos, the planes look very similar in flight.
In what way do you use differential at aileron? More way up or down?
Nov 05, 2019, 09:40 PM
Today almost crash at takeoff. A little bit to much elevator.
DC-3 Pichler (VQ) 1800mm - almost crash at takeoff (2 min 36 sec)
Nov 05, 2019, 09:45 PM
Last edited by Hardy1966; Nov 05, 2019 at 09:54 PM.
Nov 17, 2019, 03:52 PM
hello Hardy
again a beautiful flight. Congratulations.
The differential is there to avoid any up incidence of the profile. When you get the aileron down the global incidence of that part of the wing is like more up incidence and this leads to the lost of lift in that part of the wing. Looks like the problem you had during take off.
To avoid that I set 50% differential. Aileron are moving more up than down. I also set some fixed compensation by getting both aileron a bit up (like 2mm). This is equivalent of reducing the global incidence of the wing in that region. Then the plane is less prone to stall. Also having differential help the plane to turn without help of the rudder as the aileron up is in the center of the turn and is braking more than the one at the outside of the turn.
I crashed mine (almost finished to repare) at take off as you saw that the field is not having a good shape and it is difficult to run. I insisted too much and finaly took off and got a full lose of lift as it went vertical. Then I flew inverted for a short time and landed in the crop fields. Small cracks at the center of the fuselage and at the center of the wing but the fiber glass front part cockpit was really damaged. This took some time to fix by adding some layer of glass fibre from inside. Now all is fixed, but I'll do some modification to get it lighter. From my experience, I'll move CG more to the front like 3 mm to get it around 94mm with landing gear extended and 91mm when retracted. With the caluclations I hope to get around 150gr less weight.
I need to check the power I'll get with 2 x 2200 3S 30C (192gr each) in place of 1X 5000 5S 60C (446gr). This will be a good move as the battery is shorter and lighter which will let me remove some weight at the back. I still need to make some painting on the front and recheck the landing gear which was damaged when running at take off due to the bad track.
This plane is dangerous to fly because it is not really stable when flying and could do"strange" when having some banked turn. Will try to post later pictures of the crashed parts if I can find them back.
Enjoy this beautifull plane.
Christian
Nov 17, 2019, 03:58 PM
hello Hardy.
For the aileron difference after trimming did you got right aileron more up than left aileron?
So is mine. I guess this is a bad incidence of the wing due to bad position of the hole for the plug between outside part of the wing and central part. I corrected that by moving it a bit like 2mm on the front plug. I enlarged the hole and filled the other part of the hole with epoxy.
No confirmation it is enough as I crashed at take off.
I still like this plane very much.
Enjoy it and be carefull as it is not easy or safe to fly it.
Christian
Nov 17, 2019, 04:04 PM
hello Hardy
very Strange on your last video. at second 16 to 17 when you start your motors it looks like your propeller is turning backwards. So the question is: are they turning in such a way that the upper side for the propeller are moving towards the tip of the wing or toward the fuselage?
from the video it is showing it goes to the tip of the wings but that is nonsense for what I see on the propeller pitch.
Christian
Nov 19, 2019, 03:14 PM
Hello Christian,
I'm sorry to hear that you crashed your plane. Be happy the damage is not big and repairable. Thank's for your explanation of differential setting at aileron. Now I understand the way it works. Looking to the front of the plane the left aileron is a little bit up and the right aileron a little bit down to fly straight.
The upper side of the propellers are moving toward the fuselage. I also like the plane very much. Not boring always a little bit thrilling to fly it. I hope the weather will become better to fly and try new settings.
Nov 19, 2019, 04:52 PM
hello Hardy
yes mine is same. Aileron trim equivalent, propeller same direction.
Did you check on your film between 16 and 17 sec? very strange.
will definitively post pictures, but need more time.
Enjoy.
Nov 20, 2019, 03:59 PM
hello Hardy
here are some pictures of the disaster. Does not look so damaged but all and evey parts in the front (till the middle of the wing on the fuselage) are broken.
will prepare new pictures of the fixed fuselage and wing.
Nov 21, 2019, 01:08 AM
Hello Christian,
I checked my movie. Yes it look's like propellers are spinning in opposit direction. But that's not real.
Did you fix the plane already? Nose seems to be most times damaged at crashs.
Nov 23, 2019, 05:16 AM
hello Hardy
here are the pictures of the fix. Not all finished but the structure is done.
two major problems:
one was to realign the fuselage. this needed to cut the schewed cracks and double the gluing zone
the seccond was to fix the cockpit. Here I aligned each small part and glued with CA glue, then when finished I added a thin layer of glass fibre on the Inside part. Can be seen whith the colour of the epoxy.
covering with the spare material was done by cutting thru double layer . it means I placed the new covering material in excess of the place to cover, then I cut thru both layers got get the exact size and stick it in place. However there is a colour difference mostly in the green zone. The grey zone is quiet OK.
Now still to sand a bit of the cockpit and paint.
Last edited by broty; Nov 23, 2019 at 05:25 AM.
Nov 25, 2019, 03:32 AM
Hello Christian,
nice to see your C-47 rebuilt. Also my spare covering foil has big color difference. As you can see at the picture above I put two small circles of spare foil to cover the two wing screws. Very different color. Even the middle part of the wing and the outer wings are different in color.
Nov 26, 2019, 12:22 AM
Broty, sorry to hear about your plane. Great work fixing it! I've had a few more successful flights on mine - i still love the plane. I still do not like the retracts, but if I land it softly, it's not too bad. I will probably go back to fixed landing gear.

I hope you get your plane back up in the air soon!
Nov 26, 2019, 04:03 PM
hello
thanks for the good words.
While fixing, I'll try to lose some weight on it. 2x batteries in place of 1 single: as this is shorter, I can remove some weight from the tail.
also new esc a bit lighter. I had yep 60A (I did not like the default mode which is slow start and this mode is comming back each time I hit / touch the propeller on the ground and now installing turnigy32 60A.
Also somthing strangely good and quiet long to do: I balanced the rotors of the motors. this make a big difference in noice when flying. just used a tablet with a free program like vibrometer. It really helps a lot.
any way here it is winter now and the weather is not good enough to have pleasure flying the planes. So fixing and modification is the right time for it.
Have fun:-)
Last edited by broty; Nov 27, 2019 at 04:39 PM.

Quick Reply