Dec 06, 2018, 03:03 PM
hello Mike

here is another site with plenty of information
http://www.rc-network.de/forum/showt...t-Helfer/page1
This is german language but google translate really helps. any ways, it is full of pictures which can speak by themselve

another question:
each builder expect to install counter rotating propellers.
I'm surprise about that as this model is GP/EP. When GP is used, it can not counter rotate. As such I expect the side thrust to be according to it and this should be the main difference between left and right motor mount.
did you checked what the side angle is? or did you compensate the motor mount with washers to change the angle for counter rotating props?

my model will be using 9x7x3 master airscrews 3542 1250kv and 60A controllers, battery will be 3S 5000mA 60C to feed all.
ESC says you can use BEC in parallel and even charge a NiMh battery for surge charge from all servo.
Will make some tests on that to confirm as this is first time I see such indication. They are YEP 60A LV( 6S)

Hope the earth quake was not too bad. Did not eard about it while I heard big talks and news about forest fire in California.
Last edited by broty; Dec 08, 2018 at 05:11 PM. Reason: typo
to remove ads between posts
Dec 15, 2018, 01:35 PM
I'm getting ready to build the Pat Tritle 60" wsp DC-3 in AA Flagship Detroit livery using vinyl stick-on graphics and lettering from Callie Graphics. She is very capable of providing almost any graphics you want for reasonable cost. She has a website.

The Tritle DC-3 short-kit is sold by Brodak and is a typical lightly wing loaded "floater" model. (non-retract gear) From what I have read , the tapered swept back DC-3 wing is prone to stall if model is flown too slowly as in taking off , "turning on final or landing. Don't fly tail heavy.
Last edited by E-Challenged; Dec 15, 2018 at 01:49 PM.
Dec 15, 2018, 09:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by broty
hello Mike

here is another site with plenty of information
http://www.rc-network.de/forum/showt...t-Helfer/page1
This is german language but google translate really helps. any ways, it is full of pictures which can speak by themselve

another question:
each builder expect to install counter rotating propellers.
I'm surprise about that as this model is GP/EP. When GP is used, it can not counter rotate. As such I expect the side thrust to be according to it and this should be the main difference between left and right motor mount.
did you checked what the side angle is? or did you compensate the motor mount with washers to change the angle for counter rotating props?

my model will be using 9x7x3 master airscrews 3542 1250kv and 60A controllers, battery will be 3S 5000mA 60C to feed all.
ESC says you can use BEC in parallel and even charge a NiMh battery for surge charge from all servo.
Will make some tests on that to confirm as this is first time I see such indication. They are YEP 60A LV( 6S)

Hope the earth quake was not too bad. Did not eard about it while I heard big talks and news about forest fire in California.
Broty,

thanks - the earthquake was not too bad where I live, but there was damage to many houses and commercial/public buildings. I was lucky though!

I kept my motors facing straight forward since I am using the counter rotating props. I did check the angles on the motor mounts to make sure that they are straight forward. I don't need any thrust angles though, since the torque from the motors cancel each other out.

You can use the BEC the way you described, but again I choose not to use them to ensure that I don't discharge the motor batteries any more than I have to. I used a BEC a couple of months ago on a foam plane maiden flight. After about four minutes of flight, I was coming in to land and put down the gears and flaps. That immediately caused a brownout with the power surge for the retracts. I lost control of the plane, but luckily I had my failsafe on straight and 3/4 throttle, so my plane did not hit the ground. However, it DID hit a tree and put a gash in the wing. Before I fly it again, I'm going to install my separate Nimh receiver battery and disable the BEC.

That being said, it was my fault for not testing the motor and battery combination before I flew it. I relied on the manufacturer's recommendations for battery, motor, and flight time without testing. Lesson learned for me.
Dec 15, 2018, 09:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Challenged
I'm getting ready to build the Pat Tritle 60" wsp DC-3 in AA Flagship Detroit livery using vinyl stick-on graphics and lettering from Callie Graphics. She is very capable of providing almost any graphics you want for reasonable cost. She has a website.

The Tritle DC-3 short-kit is sold by Brodak and is a typical lightly wing loaded "floater" model. (non-retract gear) From what I have read , the tapered swept back DC-3 wing is prone to stall if model is flown too slowly as in taking off , "turning on final or landing. Don't fly tail heavy.
E-challenged:

Yes, I agree. Hope the model works well for you. I flew my first multi-engine bomber a little tail heavy (was new to the hobby). Again, I relied on the CG in the instructions and it was incorrect. Lost the plane. I was one of the first people on RCG to post anything about that model (it was new) so there were no discussions yet on the CG issue. Now I calculate my own CG and make it a little nose heavy for the maiden flight and adjust it from there.

Would be interested in seeing your build on the Tritle DC-3 - do you have another thread on it?
Dec 18, 2018, 06:33 PM
Thanks broty
We figured out the servo situation for throttle on the 4 strokes and have a couple ideas on reworking the firewall to support thevibration from the 4 stroke engines Im waiting until the vq electric gear comes back in stock before we start working on mounting the engines. We did consider using the fixed gear and mounting the tanks behind the firewall but probly going in the fuse with a pump . Hopefully can get everything worked out I plan on using 9x7x3 props worse case I buy electric stuff to go in it but I prefer nitro have a buddy brain storming it.
Dec 26, 2018, 05:40 AM
Any more thoughts on CG? I’m balancing mine and planning on flying this week. 110 good for anyone?
Dec 27, 2018, 05:03 PM

Cg

hello Hombresinropa
from a German site, the 3 person trying to fly the DC3 went into desaster
the proposed CG 100 - 110 seems to be a lot tail heavy and they suggest 90- to 95
also they suggest to get aileron a bit up (like 0.15 inches) to avoid tip stall conditions in turns.
Also be very cautions about weight as the expected weight is supposed to be 3.2 kg (and it seems to fly well then) but most of the builds are around 3.8 kg with the electric retracts. then it is a bit too heavy and need speed to fly.
at first, keep it on the ground to gain speed and do not let it take off too early or you get into desaster :-(
here are the sites
http://www.rc-network.de/forum/showt...ign-mit-Helfer
http://www.rc-network.de/forum/showt...glas-C-47-DC-3
interesting photos and idea about the building and nice quality pictures after the first or second fly :-(

here is another one
http://www.modelaviation.com/VQ-Warbird-Skytrain
this is a lot more positive as this one is flying good. and there is also a build part
however I asked the getlemen about the CG, but he does not remember the exact place of it.

happy end of Year Festivals
Christian
Jan 03, 2019, 02:20 AM
Wow, terrible to hear about the crash in Germany! Always sad to hear that. I agree, I balanced my plane at 110 and had to put two large (5000mah) batteries pretty far back in the fuselage to get it balanced right... they weren't even able to be in the battery tray! Thank goodness I haven't tried to fly it yet.
Thanks for the reply, and...
Happy new year!
Jan 10, 2019, 07:30 PM
In case anyone missed it... here is a pretty good article on the VQ DC-3/C-47

http://www.modelaviationdigital.com/...&folio=51#pg56
Jan 10, 2019, 07:32 PM
Here is the video :

VQ Warbirds C-47 Skytrain D-Day Edition 70.8-inch EP/GP ARF - Model Aviation (7 min 26 sec)
Jan 19, 2019, 04:10 PM

wheight

Quote:
Originally Posted by hombresinropa
Wow, terrible to hear about the crash in Germany! Always sad to hear that. I agree, I balanced my plane at 110 and had to put two large (5000mah) batteries pretty far back in the fuselage to get it balanced right... they weren't even able to be in the battery tray! Thank goodness I haven't tried to fly it yet.
Thanks for the reply, and...
Happy new year!
hello
what about the total weight you get with 2x3S 5000mA? each is supposed to be around 400gr (about 1 pound). So I guess your DC3 will be a missile to be able to fly as your total will be like 4.2 kg (or 9.2 ponds)!!!
Let us know once it is maiden:-) and what is the CG you are using
I'm entering another problem: how do you fix the propeller? I have no access to the motor to hold it while screwing the propeller?

Just to be on the safe side of power, I decided to go with 2X 3542 1450kV motor and 3s 5000mA battery.
I also finally found a 4S battery which will fit into the battery compartment. but then it is only 3300mA 60C and the flying duration will be short. However power should be more than enough. Maybe 3D flying?? :-) So I'm pepared with 2 different batteries (3S and 4S) and 2 different motors (1250 and 1450) all with same propellerMAS 9x7x3

Thanks
Last edited by broty; Apr 17, 2019 at 03:19 PM.
Feb 07, 2019, 05:49 AM

landing gear

After many hours of thinking, I found a solution for all the problems of the landing gear.
I'm realy unhappy about it: i is costly and really badly done. If I knew it is so bad I did for sure not buy it.
it took me more time to find solution for the gear than to assemble the complete plane:-)
So some summary of the problems:

1) does not fit properly in the space allowed and does not move correctly
2) is really heavy
3) the weel is not large enough to stay in his location
4) need to modify the low cover and motor cover to let her in.
5) mine is not facing the front properly, it is showing an angle to the direction; it is showing a 12 degree angle on one and a 8 degree angle on the other one, both in the same direction:-(
6) movement of extend/retract is making too large stress on the connexions

so here are the final solution:

1) and 3) are solved at once: dismantle completely and rebuild properly by reducing the width . Then cut the excess of axle. Now you have somthing which will fit in the compartment and no need of 5 or 6 washers on each weel side to maintain the weel properly. Think first before cutting as some axle are with a marked place for the screw to fix it. So you need to cut on both sides.

2) no solution, have to leave with it except the 2 grams gain when cutting the axle. ;-)

6) (and 4): this one took me a long time to figure out what is the problem and how to solve. Finally I modified the angle when retracted by cutting a more steeper angle at the "knees". As such when retracted, it fold more (angle like 120 in place of the 90 original) and the length of the support (and traction on it) onto the wing is no more a problem. Subsequently it also solved the problem 4) as now the weel is going a lot more towards the back when retracted and there is no more need to cut the motor cover nor the bottom cover as the weel stay within the allowed space

5) after exchanging parts from the left and right landing gear, now I have an angle wich is acceptable. Just need to install the landing gear in a way where both gears are looking toward the centre of the plane.

If you need more info let me know, and I'll post more picture
Feb 07, 2019, 11:14 PM
Quote:
hello
what about the total weight you get with 2x3S 5000mA? each is supposed to be around 400gr (about 1 pound). So I guess your DC3 will be a missile to be able to fly as your total will be like 4.2 kg (or 9.2 ponds)!!!
Let us know once you it is maiden:-) and what is the CG you are using
I'm entering another problem: how do you fix the propeller? I have no access to the motor to hold it while screwing the propeller?

Just to be on the safe side of power, I decided to go with 2X 3542 1450kV motor and 3s 5000mA battery.
I also finally found a 4S battery which will fit into the battery compartment. but then it is only 3300mA 60C and the flying duration will be short. however power should be more than enough. Maybe 3D flying?? :-) So I'm pepared with 2 different batteries (3S and 4S) and 2 different motors (1250 and 1450) all with same propellerMAS 9x7x3

Thanks
Broty,
I haven't flown mine yet - it's been pretty bad weather here in Alaska. I have flown some other planes, but the wind has put me in the trees twice... luckily I saved both planes but now I have to do some repair work. I will defintely let you know how it goes on the maiden - I might try it this weekend at the large field I just joined - my normal field is too small for me to be comfortable with a maiden flight on this plane. Yes, the plane is heavy, but I have seen some videos, and the video just posted has the plane at over 8 lbs, and it looks to fly ok. I didn't have any issues with the propeller going on, but then again, I haven't put on the cowls, either. I'll maiden the plane without the cowl just to be sure everythign is working ok and then put them on for later flights.
Feb 07, 2019, 11:15 PM
Quote:
After many hours of thinking, I found a solution for all the problems of the landing gear.
I'm realy unhappy about it: i is costly and really badly done. If I knew it is so bad I did for sure not buy it.
it took me more time to find solution for the gear than to assemble the complete plane:-)
So some summary of the problems:

1) does not fit properly in the space allowed and does not move correctly
2) is really heavy
3) the weel is not large enough to stay in his location
4) need to modify the low cover and motor cover to let her in.
5) mine is not facing the front properly, it is showing an angle to the direction; it is showing a 12 degree angle on one and a 8 degree angle on the other one, both in the same direction:-(
6) movement of extend/retract is making too large stress on the connexions

so here are the final solution:

1) and 3) are solved at once: dismantle completely and rebuild properly by reducing the width . Then cut the excess of axle. Now you have somthing which will fit in the compartment and no need of 5 or 6 washers on each weel side to maintain the weel properly. Think first before cutting as some axle are with a marked place for the screw to fix it. So you need to cut on both sides.

2) no solution, have to leave with it except the 2 grams gain when cutting the axle. ;-)

6) (and 4): this one took me a long time to figure out what is the problem and how to solve. Finally I modified the angle when retracted by cutting a more steeper angle at the "knees". As such when retracted, it fold more (angle like 120 in place of the 90 original) and the length of the support (and traction on it) onto the wing is no more a problem. Subsequently it also solved the problem 4) as now the weel is going a lot more towards the back when retracted and there is no more need to cut the motor cover nor the bottom cover as the weel stay within the allowed space

5) after exchanging parts from the left and right landing gear, now I have an angle wich is acceptable. Just need to install the landing gear in a way where both gears are looking toward the centre of the plane.

If you need more info let me know, and I'll post more picture
Great work on the landing gears, Broty! Mine work ok but I may end up taking them out and doing what you did to make them fit a little better. I did have a little bit of an issue getting the gears to fit inside the nacelle, but they just barely did. I'd like to add a bit more clearance, using your solution.
Mar 07, 2019, 05:04 PM

problem with receiver

Continuing the build of the DC3, now that the landing gear problems are solved, I entered the next problem.
I intend to use YEP 60A ESC with the included BEC. The receiver is OrangeRX 800 8 channels DSMX receiver.
When connecting the BEC to the receiver, it does not want to work on a safe way: the "Bind" led is sort of blinking from time to time.
So I searched the cause. The voltage is good 5,45V steady and stable even with some load changes
However, the 5V is having a bit of ripple of 20mV only in the range of 50kHz.
If I use another BEC the receiver does not show any"strange" behavour and when measured the ripple is only 3mV.

Does anyone have seen such situation? Solution?

here is the installation of the ESC
and the reaction of the BEC on load change

Quick Reply