Apr 20, 2017, 02:12 AM
Aircraft Designer Guy
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenVK
Hi, can you show me what you mean by vector units please? I'm looking at your photos but can't work out how you've done it.
My original intent was to mount the motors on a pivot, so that they could move up and down (see link below). As I started placing components, I realized that with the motors at the tail, I'd never get it to balance. In their current position they blow right over the tails, so you still get control forces at zero airspeed, so it's sort of the same effect, but mechanically simpler. Flips and hovers well enough for me

https://static.rcgroups.net/forums/a...120-Su37-5.jpg

-A
Latest blog entry: Star Wars A-Wing Submarine
to remove ads between posts
Apr 20, 2017, 11:23 AM
Ah right, thanks for explaining. It's certainly effective judging by your video!

I'm toying with the idea of getting one of these vector motor mounts but I'll just fly it stock for the moment and see how it goes.

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/micro-3d...___store=en_us

Having looked at the kit, it should be too difficult to install some retracts but I'm wondering if it will handle the extra weight.
Apr 20, 2017, 12:22 PM
BMAT prior life.. USAF Retired
After looking at the bigger (EDF) model HK sells that lists the CG as being within 145-155mm back from the front of the wing (where it meets the fuselage) I did some math and came up with a range of 93 to 100mm back from the wing meeting the fuselage.

I.e. this SU-35 fuselage is 1050mm long whereas the larger version (that lists a CG) is 1650mm.

I am guessing(hoping?) that the smaller version is in scale to the larger (EDF) version thus the CG would be in the same location only in a smaller scale.

Attached is a snapshot of the manual for the EDF version of the SU-35:
Apr 20, 2017, 07:18 PM
Aircraft Designer Guy
That's what I used as a starting point. It ended up being good with the cg right at the front of the plastic motor bracket.
Latest blog entry: Star Wars A-Wing Submarine
Apr 20, 2017, 11:44 PM
Why is there two threads for the same new plane??
Apr 21, 2017, 01:50 AM
Thanks for the c of g . I have set mine up at the front of the motor mount and will give it a try tomorrow.
Apr 21, 2017, 06:04 AM
Plane crazy
Quote:
Originally Posted by agedflier
Why is there two threads for the same new plane??
Too many pilots?
Apr 21, 2017, 08:00 PM
Fly,Crash, Burn,Fix, repeat
Just maidend mine. I cg'ed it at the servo horn. I needed some down trim and it was squirrely. Also make sure the rod screws are super tight. My servo horns where all centered and control surfaces where all level before maiden. After maiden with a bunch left trim I noticed, besides down trim both right and left sides where equal. Seams my rods slipped.

So I removed 1/4 ounce weight from back and which put my CG just above the servo horns and re centered and tightened MTV control surface space and rod screws.

Next flight on Sunday.

Gravy
Apr 22, 2017, 04:42 PM
Was planing on a quick build for this SU-35 and get flying fast but it didn't work out that way.

Firstly I thought the forward nose section looked a bit weak and prone to snapping off so glued a broken CF heli blade into it.
It will also give me a solid base to install a nose retract if I decide go that way.

I then started the build which was major pain in the arse! The kit looks great until you start trying to glue it together and then you quickly realise that none of the joints fit that well. Plus the foam glue I bought from HK was terrible. It expanded out of the joints but wouldn't set. 48 hours later and it was still like jelly! can't cut it, can't sand it. Frikin horrible stuff which I'll never buy again.

So I was so unhappy with the mess that I'd created that I had to go for a re-paint. It took hours of masking but it worked out ok I guess.
Apr 22, 2017, 06:20 PM
Thread OP
Neat repaint job BenVK! That nose reinforcement seems a good idea; I would probably go that route if were to install retract on this little pusher jet. It is amazing hobbyking retract weighs around 1 ounce each, adding so little weight to the model. Even retract adds 5 oz weight, power upgrade on this pusher should be fairly cheap too.
Never had HK foam glue before. Here in the States we have Gorilla polyurethane glue, mixed a little water before applying to the joint and it foamed and expanded to fill gaps well. Always apply masking tape to prevent bulging glue residue oozing out of intended joint. The cured gorilla glue is hard to sand too.
Apr 23, 2017, 10:55 AM
Thanks, I did use masking tape on the joints but the glue underneath just didn't want to set for some reason. When I pulled off the tape, it took a lot of the paint with it. That's why I had to go for a re-paint.
Apr 23, 2017, 05:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenVK
Was planing on a quick build for this SU-35 and get flying fast but it didn't work out that way.

Firstly I thought the forward nose section looked a bit weak and prone to snapping off so glued a broken CF heli blade into it.
It will also give me a solid base to install a nose retract if I decide go that way.

I then started the build which was major pain in the arse! The kit looks great until you start trying to glue it together and then you quickly realise that none of the joints fit that well. Plus the foam glue I bought from HK was terrible. It expanded out of the joints but wouldn't set. 48 hours later and it was still like jelly! can't cut it, can't sand it. Frikin horrible stuff which I'll never buy again.

So I was so unhappy with the mess that I'd created that I had to go for a re-paint. It took hours of masking but it worked out ok I guess.
looks great! what kind of paint did you use?
Apr 24, 2017, 02:09 AM
Been using Belton Molotow Premium acrylic spray cans for a number of years now. It's really good paint and cheap!

https://www.greatart.co.uk/molotow-b...ray-paint.html
Apr 24, 2017, 06:16 AM
I bet this little spud makes a racket. A prop off the tail is usually a bit quieter. With plenty of clearance back there, I wonder why it was done slot style.
Apr 24, 2017, 07:31 AM
Plane crazy
My parcel is taking forever!

Quick Reply