This thread is privately moderated by AlkaM, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Apr 11, 2017, 07:02 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

I fail a lot! And another DIY speed controller.

I mean total failure, I plug in wires backward, had countless mosfets blow up in my face, I have vaporized wires , connectors, batteries, pcbs and drivers! I have left scorch marks on my dining room table from things gone awry. I have burnt myself, shocked myself, cut my fingers on props and pretty much failed spectacularly in every single way you can.

When you build circuits failure can be a good thing. My first circuit I built when I was young was from a kit, fm radio I believe.. I followed instructions and it worked , probably good because it got me interested but I didn't learn all that much about electronics. Many years later I decided to make a circuit off of some h-bridge or other from the internet. It seemed very simple.. how hard could it be? It blew up.. not once but multiple times before I learned what I needed to know. I'll never forget the lesson that h-bridge taught me, probably still have scars.

I still do a lot of stupid things.. check out the gallery below for some of my recent blunders.. The point is this.. don't get discouraged by mistakes no matter how much time or effort or money you think you have wasted in doing so. The things you learn from failure far outweigh the things you remember from succeeding.

Here is another speed controller anyway.. this is for more of a tinkerer. I wanted to do something with the FAN7888 as it was relatively cheap. There are a number of different options for the switching regulators and the boards I tried to lay out with a little better emf avoidance practices than your standard esc ( who know if I succeeded but it works ).
I use psmn1r0 mosfets but you can use anything in the power-s08 or lfpak56 footprint.
The current voltage handling capabilities will be from the choice of input caps, mosfets, switching regulators and thickness of the copper. I attached a working schematic and source files and gerbers in the zip file.

Use these at your own risk, all my escs have been field tested but not scientifically, the circuits work and I hope they are useful to someone. This one is quite easy to play with the board and put in a silabs or stm32 or mcu in place of the atmega ( adjust the voltage of the regulator accordingly). All files can be opened in the free version of diptrace.
Last edited by AlkaM; Apr 11, 2017 at 07:31 PM.
to remove ads between posts

Quick Reply