Sterling 1-34 - RC Groups
Apr 11, 2017, 06:59 PM
Discussion

Sterling 1-34

I had a Sterling 1-34 around 1976.. It was monokoted in red and silver colors. Tee Dee Cox.09 power pod. I flew it a few times before eventually breaking it. Less than 30 flights. Eventually it went into the trash.... I purchased a new kit 15 yrs ago...Finally getting around to finishing it with a nice Klass Kote white epoxy base, urethane colors and monokoted finish. It has spoilers. It weighs 3.5lbs less battery, Futaba 617FS rx , Callie Graphics, tinted canopy and a clear coat. I hope to keep it under 4.2lbs.. Most folks know about Sterling models. This is a "builders" kit...Lots and lots of wood, carving and shaving. Almost done ! 15 yrs is never too late......to build a Sterling kit.

This is for the slope only....I hope to have it ready for the Katie Martin rally at Torrey Pines on June 3rd.

B

PS Take your time when you tape off different colors....I spent an extra 30-45 mins removing overspray with reducer after spraying because some tape lines were not sealed completely..... I use a Grex tritium TS gun (7mm needle ) reduced between 50% for the urethane color or 75 % reduced for the white Klass Kote epoxy base color @ 15-25psi.
Last edited by bradl7112; Apr 14, 2017 at 12:45 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Apr 11, 2017, 09:23 PM
CPA #100
Thats looking really good Brad. Nice job on it!

Best of clean lift for you on the maiden.

Paul
Apr 11, 2017, 09:29 PM
Thanks Paul..Hope to see you and Jonathan in Perris for the Classic Pattern get together on June 10th !
Apr 11, 2017, 10:01 PM
Onward and upward.
Looks nice!
Apr 11, 2017, 10:15 PM
CPA #100
We are planning on it. Zoom! Zoom!

Looking forward to seeing you guys as well.

Paul
Apr 11, 2017, 10:31 PM
Hi Brad:

Just dropping in on your thread.

Great job on the build, recover and painting on your Sterling.......

Lots of work there, I can appreciate the time spent.

Klass Kote is a nice product to apply. I used it on a Cessna 185 with great results too.

I like your paint scheme both top and bottom. Nice identifiers in the air.

Did you tint the windscreen yellow or is that the yellow in the cockpit that appears if the windscreen is yellow.

Keep me posted on your results.......

Best regards
Randy
Last edited by cgcrc; Apr 11, 2017 at 10:38 PM.
Apr 11, 2017, 11:21 PM
Evening Randy,

The canopy has not been tinted, you are seeing a yellow reflection from the canopy floor. I intend to use RIT dye on the canopy. I'm going to use either black or blue dye. (IYO...which tint do you think would look better ? ) I will then trim the edges of the canopy with silver klass kote urethane. First , I need to find out what the Sterling canopy is made out of...I haven't dyed a canopy in many years. I had a House of Balsa Nomad glider that I tinted, with good results many moons ago.
Last edited by bradl7112; Apr 12, 2017 at 12:50 AM.
Apr 12, 2017, 08:55 AM
That is an absolutely beautiful job!

I also built one back in 1971, originally using a radio borrowed from my dad, then with my very own World Engines radio. It flew a few times on high start and later with a Cox 09 on the nose. It met its end when I tried to slope it on a low hill. I do have another kit which I someday plan to get to.

Thanks for posting and the best of luck with it. Jim
Apr 12, 2017, 10:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradl7112
Evening Randy,

The canopy has not been tinted, you are seeing a yellow reflection from the canopy floor. I intend to use RIT dye on the canopy. I'm going to use either black or blue dye. (IYO...which tint do you think would look better ? ) I will then trim the edges of the canopy with silver klass kote urethane. First , I need to find out what the Sterling canopy is made out of...I haven't dyed a canopy in many years. I had a House of Balsa Nomad glider that I tinted, with good results many moons ago.
Hi Brad:

Same as you, I haven't tinted a wind shield in many years. The last one I would have attempted was a SIG canopy on a control line stunt model. I used a black tint and it came out slightly charcoal in colour but looked good.

I thought it may have been darker but perhaps it was my soaking method, i.e. water/dye solution not concentrated enough or water not warm enough or not submerged long enough...lol....dunno....it was about 25 years ago.......lol...

(BTW, I like the blue you have chosen on the model ...reminds me of an "indigo" blue.)

In answer to your question...which tint.......Hmmmm......

If possible I may be tempted try a test piece with dark blue dye. If you like the results it would flow with the blue on the model.

However if a test piece is not possible.....black is always a safe option.........

One way or the other...clear, blue or black "she's" a great looking model.

Enjoy many flights with her...........

Randy
Apr 12, 2017, 10:18 AM
Very nice looking glider.
Apr 12, 2017, 09:09 PM
There's some great up to date info on RIT dye "MORE" and canopy dyes
on the Hobie Hawk thread posted by V1 VR V2... In going to try the blue tint......
Randy, I like the Klass Kote Urethane Blueburry metallic blue too !
Last edited by bradl7112; Apr 12, 2017 at 11:09 PM.
Apr 13, 2017, 11:40 PM
Quote:
There's some great up to date info on RIT dye "MORE" and canopy dyes
on the Hobie Hawk thread posted by V1 VR V2... In going to try the blue tint......
Randy, I like the Klass Kote Urethane Blueburry metallic blue too !
If you get a chance to post some pictures and your process I'll be very interested to watch.

Best regards
Randy
Apr 14, 2017, 12:12 AM
Will do...Tried the liquid Rit Navy Blue dye @140F for 2.5 hrs...No tint at all. Will search tomorrow for the Rit "More" type which our local supermarket didn't have as was recommended in the the Hobie thread.The Navy blue liquid dye looked purple.
Last edited by bradl7112; Apr 14, 2017 at 12:29 AM.
Apr 14, 2017, 06:39 PM

Canopy tinting with Rit dye More

Found the Rit dye More ( Sapphire blue) at Michael's Crafts store. The canopy had some glue on it which I tried to remove with soap/water, alcohol and finally 25% nitro...the nitro worked but blemished the canopy. Also, the tinting is uneven . So I'm looking for another canopy. The water temp was 125F initially. Canopy submerged for about 2 hrs....Overall, I like the color.
Last edited by bradl7112; Apr 14, 2017 at 07:46 PM.
Apr 15, 2017, 09:57 AM
Quote:
Found the Rit dye More ( Sapphire blue) at Michael's Crafts store. The canopy had some glue on it which I tried to remove with soap/water, alcohol and finally 25% nitro...the nitro worked but blemished the canopy. Also, the tinting is uneven . So I'm looking for another canopy. The water temp was 125F initially. Canopy submerged for about 2 hrs....Overall, I like the color.
Hi Brad:

Thanks for posting the picture and explaining your process.

Agreed, the blue is a nice colour combo.

It looks like the "Rit Dye More" is the product that will dye the canopy.
I would have used the older regular Rit dye that didn't change anything.

Keep us posted on your results.

Randy

PS Question: If you re dyed the canopy in the blue would that even out the colour....