Oct 14, 2004, 06:48 PM
Caution:Makes sharp left turns
Thread OP

Venus or China Model's Magpie???

I have been watching the threads on the Venus and the new rebates$$ are tempting me big time. I had a friend also recommended the Magpie from China Models as a possible candidate for a pattern ship. I have been searching for more info on the Magpie to see if it is truly a better flying pattern plane than the Venus but I can only find info for it's bigger brothers the Lark and the Swallow.
http://www.giantscaleplanes.com/Magpie_56build.htm
The reason I'm even asking is because I am looking for a mid-size pattern plane that can truly do pattern maneuvers to compete in the sportsman class events. I have done it with a model not well suited for it and I really want a good "Pattern" plane. I know a bigger model is ideal but this is the size I am going to work with for now. I am even willing to tear apart the ARF to take out unnecessary ounces (I've done it in the past with good success). Is the Venus really that good or is it good enough??
Any info appreciated..
to remove ads between posts
Oct 14, 2004, 09:43 PM
The venus is light from the start, so no ripping apart is naccesarry, and there are many power systems that work well for it. I have a venus for just the purpose you stated above and it works great. My setup is a B50 10L 5.2:1 with a 15x8 and a 5s4p pack. It puts out 1100 watts so flying the sportsman is easily accomplished. There is another venus currently being built by a friend of mine with a really good method for elevator control. There are some pics of it in the venus thread.
Oct 14, 2004, 10:15 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott MacAfee
There is another venus currently being built by a friend of mine with a really good method for elevator control. There are some pics of it in the venus thread.
Thanks for the info Scott. Is your friend's elevator set up the dowel/split off or something different?
Oct 15, 2004, 01:51 AM
Troy
it's the dowel/split setup by SC (Pattern is Fun).

I don't think you'll have any problems flying sportsman with the Venus. I had to fly the Venus in Intermediate when my 2 meter plane had a malfunction. I was still able to win the rounds with the Venus. It's really a great flying plane for only $150. Actually, it flies annoyingly well considering how much 2 Meter planes cost and the effort it takes to get them trimmed right. The only limitation with the Venus is the size -- it makes it hard to fly out very far out -- gets hard to see.

-- Kyle
Oct 15, 2004, 10:16 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmashima
Actually, it flies annoyingly well considering how much 2 Meter planes cost and the effort it takes to get them trimmed right. The only limitation with the Venus is the size -- it makes it hard to fly out very far out -- gets hard to see.

-- Kyle
I like that answer Kyle. I think I'm going to go for it. You just can't beat their rebate deal at Tower and I know I want to get a kit right now.
Regarding size, I had flown the sportsman with my Extra 300 (in Avatar) and it was a little hard to see at the far ends but it lacked most in vertical performance. I'm use to small airplanes (175mph F5D are really small at pylon #1) so this is going to be like a Cadillac. I've read your reports on how it flies to see if it has any nasty habits but my fears are slowly going away. I will keep reading the past threads to get ideas on mods and power systems. This will be my first lipo plane too.
Oct 16, 2004, 05:53 PM
It tipstalls. (reason for venus#2) This makes for a really good snapping plane, but when you are going slow with lots of elevator it something you want to watch for. Its nothing to worry about, but I just lost the prop on takeoff once, making for a bad situation. Other than that I cant think of anything.
Oct 17, 2004, 10:27 PM
Thread OP
Scott,
How heavy was your Venus? I'm looking at running a 6s2p pack to keep things light and will shave some unnecessary baggage in the fuse. Looks like I'll be ordering this week..
Oct 17, 2004, 11:06 PM
Mine wieghs a has a 5s4p pack and comes in at a few ounces under 5lbs, the light end of the projected wieght. If you order one on monday it will probably be there by Thursday(there's a shipping depot or something in Nevada).
Oct 17, 2004, 11:08 PM
Scott
your plane is just under 6lbs not 5lbs.

-- Kyle
Oct 18, 2004, 07:17 PM
I'm disoriented!
Troy,

I'm using an Aveox 36/30/1.5 with 6S2P 2600 Polyquest/Tanics. Fit nicely in the fusealage and my CG is dead-on. See my posts late in the #2 Venus thread started by Enigmabomb.

Waiting for nice weather to maiden.

Good luck,

Chris

PS: I'm still fly'n that Modeltech Extra - I bought it mostly based on your on your webzine article you posted years ago . Nice plane on 3S2P lipos and a cheap Endoplasma motor. Still get nice comments on it!
Oct 18, 2004, 10:30 PM
Thread OP
Well, I just ordered it tonight so it should be here by the end of the week. I also scored a Hacker B50-13s w/6.7 planetary from a friend that wanted to trade some batteries. Now I need some lipos and I'll be in business.
Chris,
I am glad to hear your Extra is still flying!! Mine is nearly 2.5 years old now, still flying like a champ, and will be sold to pay for the lipos!! Mine has an Aveox 1409-2y with Astro 2.3GB running 10-3300's. Got fourth place in the last pattern comp after the other "real" pattern ships. Next time I'll be flying the right equipment
Oct 19, 2004, 08:44 AM
I'm disoriented!
Troy,

With the B50 13S I believe 5S2P may be a better configuation. IIRC, Kyle recommended the 10L if you were planning on 6 in series lipos. Kyle?
Oct 19, 2004, 10:47 AM
Father, Skydiver, Photographer
Troy,

I fly my Venus with a 13s as well but I only fly it on 5s not 6. However I fly it on 5s2p out of cells that get from www.balsapr.com, the Worely 2000 mAh cells. I buy them in lots of 10 and build my own packs. They are good to 60 amps in that config, but I'm not pulling anywhere close to that. I've used all of Kyle's mods and his recommendations on setup etc. and I'm very happy with my setup. All that being said I think that 5s2p is more than enough. I can fly the basic sequence 3-4 times or more on one charge.

That's my .02
BK

PS. Kyle - Thanks again for all your help in this area!!
Oct 19, 2004, 11:08 AM
I'm disoriented!
A better deal is AustinElse (formerly with CheapBatteryPacks.com) at www.maxamps.com - CBP 2600's (26 amps) at $17.99 each - search for his post in the "For Sale" electric forum. Flat $3.50 shipping if you Paypal him directly. Cheaper than the website price, so PM him.
Oct 19, 2004, 01:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisD
Troy,

With the B50 13S I believe 5S2P may be a better configuation. IIRC, Kyle recommended the 10L if you were planning on 6 in series lipos. Kyle?
Uhmm, I don't recall recommending a 6s. For either the B50-13S, B50-10L or the C50-10L, 6s is too many volts. You're spinning the rotor too fast. Might delaminate the magnet.

If you want to use 6s, you might need to go with a B50-13L, 6.7:1 and spin a 17+ inch prop. Or else it's a 14L. I believe I have one each of either motor if you want to buy a used one.

-- Kyle

Quick Reply