Largest Size Quad - RC Groups
Apr 10, 2017, 10:31 PM
The QuadFather
Discussion

Largest Size Quad

What is the largest sized quad has this flight controller been used on successfully? I have a 700MM quad I would like to use this on. I know that design VS actual use may be different.
to remove ads between posts
Apr 11, 2017, 10:11 AM
Vector's specifications can be found in section 2.3 of the V ector manual. the largest multi-rotor the recommend is 650mm

"Recommended Airframes: the Vector is not recommended for large or heavy airframes, due to no or limited testing on these types of models at this time. Examples: giant scale fixed wing models, gas or nitro models, turbines, or multirotors larger than 650mm are not recommended."

You will find others who have successfully flown larger.

Here is the link to the excellent manual: http://eagletreesystems.com/Manuals/vector.pdf
Apr 11, 2017, 10:21 AM
The QuadFather
I've read the manual, but just wondered if anyone had tried it in larger ones. I have seen others use NAZA systems in 800-1000mm drones without issue. Wondered if anyone had tried that using this system.
Apr 11, 2017, 07:58 PM
Flitetest is running a full size Vector in there Mega quad. Here's the link for the video showing just how enormous this thing is
World's Largest Race Drone | Flite Test (10 min 43 sec)
. About 1:45 is when they say they installed the Vector. On a personal level I have a Vector in my 720mm hexacopter and it performs flawlessly.

Calvin
Apr 11, 2017, 10:19 PM
The QuadFather
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperCal
. On a personal level I have a Vector in my 720mm hexacopter and it performs flawlessly.

Calvin
THIS is what I was wanting to know... I understand what something is DESIGNED to do, but I want to know what it CAN do.

Can you tell me more about your copter, its approximate weight, battery it uses, things like that?

I am teetering on the verge of installing the Vector on my 700MM quad with 15.5 props, and T-Motor 3508 motors, running 6S.
Apr 13, 2017, 07:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by propflux01
THIS is what I was wanting to know... I understand what something is DESIGNED to do, but I want to know what it CAN do.

Can you tell me more about your copter, its approximate weight, battery it uses, things like that?

I am teetering on the verge of installing the Vector on my 700MM quad with 15.5 props, and T-Motor 3508 motors, running 6S.
My hex was running T-Motor 2212-980 on 3s with 10" props. I'm not really sure what it weighed but I flew it a few times with an 8000ma battery and a 2.5Lb weight plate attached to it just to see what loaded flight times were. It took a little tinkering with the Pids to get it where I really wanted it but since you can do it easily with the onscreen menus it doesn't take long. The Vector is a very competent flight controller, I had an ESC burn out and was able to fly back from 1/4 mile out on 5 motors and land safely. I'm currently in the process of building a new hex using using T-motor 3508s running 4s and 13" props so hopefully I have the same success...
Apr 13, 2017, 09:32 PM
The QuadFather
Your Hex sounds very similar to mine, I use SS 2216 800KV on 4S. with 1045 props. It is an All- Aluminum chassis, kinda heavy, running a NAZA lite upgraded to V2 with Gimbal and Go-pro. From what you describe it (vector) should handle my quad just fine. This is the kind of experimentation and information I was looking for, and thank you very much for the response. I ordered a vector for it, as I am done screwing with this Pixhawk that is on the quad now. It has been nothing but a nightmare.
Those 3508's, they don't use much current, but they run really nice. I think you 'll like them.
Last edited by propflux01; Apr 13, 2017 at 10:04 PM.
Apr 14, 2017, 04:00 PM
Quick update... I just finished building the new hex. It flies flawlessly with STOCK Pids. I will be doing some fine tuning to get it tuned totally to my liking but otherwise smooth flying. I was actually kind of surprised because the old hex took quite a bit of tuning to get it where I wanted it. Totally happy with the Vector. It's so easy to set up and the OSD is absolutely awesome...

Calvin
Apr 14, 2017, 04:42 PM
The QuadFather
That's awesome!! I cannot wait to get my vector now. I built this quad last fall and still haven't had a good flight. Have you tried using those 3508s with 6S?
Apr 14, 2017, 08:05 PM
I'm running the 3508-20 580 Kv motors... they're only rated 3-4s... I went with these so i can swap batteries between the hex and a few of my planes that run 4s. Just for reference I was seeing somewhere around 15 amps at hover which should give me pretty good flight times although this will probably go up a little once I mount the gimbal and GoPro.
Apr 15, 2017, 02:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by propflux01

I'm using the vector on a 800mm Quad with 3508-29 T-Motor, 16" T-Motor Propeller on 6s
It's about 3.5 kg with 10000mA Multistar Accu.
Apr 15, 2017, 05:26 PM
The QuadFather
How does it perform for you?
Apr 15, 2017, 05:27 PM
The QuadFather
My Vector came in the post today! Now its retrofit time!!
Apr 16, 2017, 01:24 PM
Performes nice. No problems with this Quad

Gesendet von meinem SM-G928F mit Tapatalk