Apr 11, 2017, 05:09 AM
Closed Account
Not having built in wood for nearly 2 decades, now building a simple trainer that is going to get a few "clever mods" to make it airliner friendly.

Nothing special in itself, originally a semi-flatbottomed airfoil, dihedral rudder/elevator trainer, but it is going to get a straight wing with aillerons, wing is going to be partable, LG and horizontal stabilizer removeable, all for transport, it is going to get a .52 fourstroke gasser due to locally difficult to get glow fuel, and I need to build a transport flightcase for it as well.

Kinda lost sight on how much fun actual wood building is....
Apr 11, 2017, 05:29 AM
GTH NFL
I spread mulch.
Apr 11, 2017, 05:52 AM
I just finished building a BTE venture 60 hopefully maiden Wednesday night at club meeting.
Apr 11, 2017, 06:56 AM
Playing with autopilots and android takes time away from actual flying. I have a patched up tricopter just sitting because the rear ESC has a bad internal intermittent connection somewhere. I also have a patched up plane just sitting and lots of parts from wrecks. It's more convenient and not as messy to hack and learn code than to find time to fix and fly and fix again. I do fly an Android sim regularly to keep my thumbs ready.
Apr 11, 2017, 11:11 AM
No more nicotine for me!
Making molds. Well, trying 3rd times a charm...
Apr 11, 2017, 11:55 AM
Smashed my 57 inch old timer "solong" two weeks ago ( ground high, plane low ) , so am flying a my scratch built 72 inch "Benny Boxcar " . Put a fake sound system in it for grins and laughs .
Apr 11, 2017, 12:00 PM
You know nothing....
I just flew one over a cuckoos nest.Sorry,no video.
Apr 11, 2017, 12:01 PM
foamie re-cycler
I upgraded the tires/ wheels on the rear axle of my RV,from duallys to super singles. In times past when I've ventured off road ,stones and other debris would frequently get caught/ wedged between the tires ...Resulting in excessive wear and/ or eventual sidewalk failure....Not a good thing if you are off in the boonies or the middle of the desert at the time...

The last thing I flew was my newly acquired " convergence" plane/ tricopter from Horizon Hobby a few weeks ago....And haven't built anything since just before my stroke a couple years ago( a miniature Sonic liner)
Last edited by daddiozz; Apr 11, 2017 at 12:10 PM.
Apr 11, 2017, 12:02 PM
Tu ne cede malis
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by jefdavies
Smashed my 57 inch old timer "solong" two weeks ago ( ground high, plane low ) , so am flying a my scratch built 72 inch "Benny Boxcar " . Put a fake sound system in it for grins and laughs .
what does the system do?
Apr 11, 2017, 12:10 PM
No more nicotine for me!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart A
I just flew one over a cuckoos nest.Sorry,no video.
Was it a flying sink?
Apr 11, 2017, 02:51 PM
Hi ya! Car ride!?
Quote:
Originally Posted by micro_builder
Making molds. Well, trying 3rd times a charm...
No more carving balsa tips for you?
Apr 11, 2017, 02:59 PM
Keep 'em Flying
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnGoat
yeah I heard it's been wicked up there

fly slope? We're headed to Saddle mtn in two weeks, out by Vantage
I just looked up Lyle. Right on the border of Oregon. Whoa..There actually is a place called Walla Walla Washington. That's funny. California has some zingers: Badwater lol.......
Apr 11, 2017, 03:01 PM
Keep 'em Flying
Anyone here live in Last Chance California?
Apr 11, 2017, 03:26 PM
No more nicotine for me!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sport Flyer
No more carving balsa tips for you?
Oh no, there will always be a stash of balsa in the shop (I dont do foam, well, rarely). I have a roll of kevlar and carbon fiber that was meant for a home made ukulele, but its probably never going to get done, so figured I might as well make some use of it.
Apr 11, 2017, 03:42 PM
Hi ya! Car ride!?
Quote:
Originally Posted by micro_builder
Oh no, there will always be a stash of balsa in the shop (I dont do foam, well, rarely). I have a roll of kevlar and carbon fiber that was meant for a home made ukulele, but its probably never going to get done, so figured I might as well make some use of it.
Good stuff. I still get joy out of carving blocks until they look like something. Latest to come off my bench. The left started as a balsa hardwood sandwich, the right was dowel, and includes a rattle in the back section. Paint was leftovers from finishing a cowl. 2 1/2" and 3" jointed.

Sent from my STV100-3 using Tapatalk

Quick Reply