Apr 10, 2017, 04:30 PM
Tu ne cede malis
Thread OP
Discussion

What did you fly or build today?

Changing it up a bit...a thread about...flying RC! I think there was another one but couldn't find it, so whatever.

Yesterday for a change it was decent weather and no appreciable wind all day, a rarity here in the Gorge. Usually everyone bails from the field by noon because the wind is ramping up for the day.

I had a little finishing up to do on my FMS 2.3m Fox, a Hobbyzone Stinson Reliant I bought used and have never flown, and my Fun Cub which I'd torn apart to sort out radio issues...until a spectrum analyzer revealed all my radio issues were...the TX output section dying! Yay!

I decided I'd rather be out in the sun on a bench and able to fly as I finished than in my shop, so I tossed it all in the rig and headed out.

Sunny day, the last of the multi guys were leaving so I had the field to myself at 330 PM.

So I started working on the fox, got everything plugged in and working, went to install the elevator...oh wait. Where is the tiny bag with the screws and linkage? Oh, that's right. It's sitting on my bench..in the shop. Next!

OK, let's do the Cub. Got everything plugged back in, stuck in a battery, wiggled the sticks everything goes the right direction, cool. It wasn't broken, the TX was as I mentioned. Flew two batteries down, made some trim adjustments, good times.

Then I pulled out a JR 600 Rx I got offn the 'bay for 20 bucks. Love these. solid units, end feed is kind of a pain and the slots are tight, but the RX is bombproof. Grabbed the Reliant. Got it for 75 bucks including all gear minus a RX. That's a deal. Never been crashed!

Everything plugged in in ten minutes. Spent another 5 sorting out throws and directions. Threw a 2200 3S into it, checked the CG...seems OK.

This guy has a fantastic old school look which attracted me in the first place, and a functional tail wheel ,unlike the POS on the Cub. I love me some multiplex/graupner, but that cub rear wheel is an abomination.

Thrilled about a decent tail wheel, I decided to taxi it across the grass to the strip. Deep grass and small wheels, so I advanced the throttle a bit to get it over the clumps and the tail popped right off the ground...now it was bouncing, so what the heck, I just floored it and it shot off the grass in a few more feet.

What a great little bird. Looks fantastic with it's chunky radial cowling, flies real sweet no bad habits, will cruise easily at 1/3-1/4 throttle, flap works great. Super fun and photogenic touch and goes. I had a blast with that thing and had nearly as much flight time on my remaining 2200 as I did on the two I ran through the Cub!

Not mine, but same bird...such a great look
Last edited by MtnGoat; Apr 10, 2017 at 04:48 PM.
Apr 10, 2017, 04:42 PM
HONK HONK
My Tarot X6 camera drone. Maiden flight and it has one of the 17 1/2" props with tip flutter during a hard left yaw. I have a few extra props so now I have to start changing them out one at a time till I find the culprit.
Latest blog entry: My first blog entry
Apr 10, 2017, 04:47 PM
Tu ne cede malis
Thread OP
that's some big propage!
Apr 10, 2017, 04:57 PM
I smell lithium now
I ordered a new left wing for the Extreme Flight yak I treed yesterday...
Apr 10, 2017, 04:58 PM
Altitude is my friend...
Extreme Flight Extra 300 EXP 60.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...P-Build-thread

I've had it for about 22 months now, and have less than 25 flights on it. I'll be flying it a lot this year, though.
Apr 10, 2017, 04:59 PM
I smell lithium now
...and CAed the EPO foamie ME262 back together...
Apr 10, 2017, 05:00 PM
I smell lithium now
...and replaced the driveshaft I twisted off on the E-Revo yesterday...
Apr 10, 2017, 05:06 PM
Official Old Git!
Building a HK H-quad, with a latest Omnibus F4 V3 Flight Controller (has built in OSD).

I've built numbers of quads/tricopters etc with different boards, but this one is proving to be a right pain! Initial flight was absolutely horrible and unstable.

Changed the ESC firmware and it was better - but still need more investigation. Trouble is that I've also been digging up concrete from my front flower bed, moving 1 tonne of ericaseous soil so I can re-plant my favourite Azaleas into more ideal soil - and this has been stopping me progressing my flying etc.
And that whilst we've had the most stunning sunny/warm weekend (22 degrees, when it should be about 13C ).

Now it's dropped back down to 13 - 14C..

Oh well, will get to look at it again soon...
Apr 10, 2017, 05:49 PM
Love & a Molotov cocktail
Nothing today, but yesterday I flew my Airhogs USS Enterprise after I had finished work for the day.
Apr 10, 2017, 05:58 PM
I worked today, so the only thing I built was the framework for a dog-house inspection machine. I have so many planes in the basement either needing radio install or repair I could go to retirement without gluing balsa together and covering it. I did my time, I used to kit a composite speed400 racer back when that was a thing. Been flying for 25 years, got into a lull, but am joining a club tomorrow.
Apr 10, 2017, 07:31 PM
Tu ne cede malis
Thread OP
nice looking birds L

what mountain you gonna toss em off of?
Apr 10, 2017, 07:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnGoat
nice looking birds L

what mountain you gonna toss em off of?
Our tallest "mountain" is the landfill which offers good slope lift at 15-20 mph windspeeds, less for the thermal planes which can slope on less yet use the altitude of the hill to venture off and search for thermals.
Apr 10, 2017, 07:46 PM
Tu ne cede malis
Thread OP
Yes, I've heard of that site
Apr 10, 2017, 07:49 PM
I did go to Toledo this weekend, unfortunately had to go on Sunday which was a ghost town in the swap show. They had maybe 10% of the tables filled and it was mostly junk. I spent less than $100, and half of that was for 40 and 50% 'rocket fuel'.

Saw a few DLG's and gliders and one of Yuri's speed planes for a smoking price that I wanted but I think I finally hit a saturation point-I just have too much similar unused crap here that I'm not flying. I have a SuperFR3ak I haven't even dry assembled in the two years since I got it and I have more composite racers than I can count.

But man was that X-plane of Yuri's gorgeous...spread tow all around with a paint job I really liked. It was the first time I have seen one of D-Box's airplanes in person and it was every bit as good quality wise as anything from Ukraine, Poland, or Russia.

Kennedy Composites has a new F5J that I took a liking to... I'm a sucker for a twin boom pusher with an inverted v-tail..... the thing was gorgeous and had a clever shaft drive arrangement. Looked up the price when I got home, gulp: $2,500!

Sad show though, I rarely leave Toledo without an exotic small Diesel or Glow engine. I think the show will be gone in less than ten years-this was my 25th year attending and I have noticed trends along the way. In recent years a small army of Chinese businessmen would come and hawk good and make deals at night in the hotels, now there are a lot of toy grade product on the floor and there are no Chinese-we come to them now.

It's sad, but all things end.

Quick Reply