This thread is privately moderated by AlkaM, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Apr 10, 2017, 04:10 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

The cheapest DIY escs money can't buy and ramblings about the HW30a esc.

A couple more nfet designs. I had a friend who had a hw30a esc die on him. It was a yellow covered knockoff HW/ XXD30A esc. One of the mosfets failed, upon closer inpection there were three different variation of the nikos p0603 mosfets. These were clearly not from the same batch or maybe even the same manufacturer. They still sell these things by the thousands today on ebay ! The other thing they do is use two transistors to switch the top gate, not arranged to increase switching times but it only seems to invert the signal from the atmega8. Something that can be done through software.
Anyway I got to thinking about how I can make a HW30A dpak type design with the following criteria
1) Has to be cheaper than the cheapest ebay esc.
2) Has to handle more current than the xd30a and be more reliable.
3) Must be solderable by hand.
4) Uses minimal component count and repeating values where possible.

In the end I ended up with a couple different designs, one uses all 805 sized parts but is a 4 layer board, the other is a two layer board that was made for a specific enclosure but is quite slim and very long.

The parts list went like this

regulator 1117 5.0v
10k resistors x10
33k resistors x 3
2.2k resistor x 8
100r resistor x 6
Atmega8 processor
LED 805 size
irlr7843 mosfets x 6 (3.3mOhm vs 6.5 for the nikos)
1 uf caps x 3
0.1 uf caps x 2
10 uf cap x 1
10uf tantalum x 1
3 sot-23 transistors 2222a?
470uf rubycon cap

That put me somewhere in the 2-3 dollar range for parts per esc when I ordered them from ebay, I spend the next two months waiting ...

Here are the final boards, I have made many of the 4 layer ones, the slim 2 layer one was really just an excersise to find the cheapest possible esc's design thats under 20mm wide.

That brings me to the end of the charge pump nfet designs. If there is a specific package or landing pattern you want to work with this design let me know, I have many more more variations but they are essentially the same general circuit.

Gerbers and source files in the zip.

In future posts i'll start posting higher current and higher voltage drivers and different mcu's, i am trying to make my schematics a little cleaner now.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 01, 2018, 04:39 AM
Hello, first of all, thank you very much for designing this circuit. Secondly, my English is very poor. Please bear with me. I made an ESC according to your circuit and flashed the BLheli-Hobbyking UBEC 30A. However, when testing, the motor is stuck when the throttle is low. So, are you asking if the program I flashed is wrong? Or what parameters should be adjusted for BLheli? In addition, the KV of the motor I tested was 920. I tried to test it with another 2500KV motor. This motor does not turn at all. I hope to get your help, thank you! !
Sep 04, 2018, 05:22 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by supercaby
Hello, first of all, thank you very much for designing this circuit. Secondly, my English is very poor. Please bear with me. I made an ESC according to your circuit and flashed the BLheli-Hobbyking UBEC 30A. However, when testing, the motor is stuck when the throttle is low. So, are you asking if the program I flashed is wrong? Or what parameters should be adjusted for BLheli? In addition, the KV of the motor I tested was 920. I tried to test it with another 2500KV motor. This motor does not turn at all. I hope to get your help, thank you! !
The firmware that matches this is the blueseries 30a . It may be that the firmware is wrong. If the motor is turning a little it may be a problem with your circuit or the calibration of the ESC. I hope you figure it out. The schematic is solid and has been used now for many designs.
Sep 20, 2018, 09:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlkaM
The firmware that matches this is the blueseries 30a . It may be that the firmware is wrong. If the motor is turning a little it may be a problem with your circuit or the calibration of the ESC. I hope you figure it out. The schematic is solid and has been used now for many designs.
Thank you very much. I'll reflash the blueseries 30A program, do the test again, and come back to make a report,and thanks again!
Sep 28, 2018, 10:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlkaM
AlkaM :

I've flashed the blueseries 30A program and it looks better, but there are still some problems. I found a video on YouTube. My problem is very similar to this, low throttle motor jitter. I've tried to modify "Demag Compensation" and "Motor Timing" but there's no sign of improvement. Now my "PWM Frequency / Damped" settings are LOW, because when it's set to Damped Light, the motor moves very hard (hopefully you can understand what "hard" means, like braking). Can you show me the screenshots of your BlheliSuite settings? I can't solve this problem. Thanks again!
Motor stutter. Diagnostics. Sunnysky 2212. 20a blheli esc. Navio2. (5 min 31 sec)
Oct 02, 2018, 08:02 PM
Thread OP
I just use default setting's on most things I put together. And different hardware/motor /prop combinations need different setting sometimes. It looks like it's not applying enough startup power. It's been a while since I used the blheli suite but there's a lot of guys on here that know it well if you ask in the blheli thread.
I am glad you got the motor spinning, keep playing with setting's and experimenting and you'll be an expert soon!
Oct 02, 2018, 08:07 PM
Thread OP
Normally I just set the minimum throttle to a range that reliably starts the motor on a flight controller for example. Does it spin up normally if you increase throttle?

Quick Reply