Apr 14, 2017, 12:11 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jk6672
I had to drive up to LA today to file my taxes and came home pretty late. I had a nice surprise for me waiting at home, ok no surprise for me, but the wife's eyes rolling was a surprise, yeah ok, I lied again, I expected to see those eyes roll. I had to open and enspect. It's a beauty,

One a serious side note, I was stuck in the mountains for about an hour because a tractor-trailer caught on fire. It had just started seconds before we came around the corner. As I approached the truck a Border Patrol Agent rolled in behind us and instructed us to get back, the whole truck was on fire in a matter of seconds and the diesel tanks exploded. The truck driver was no where to be found and I confirmed this with the agents. Nothing could be done except watch it burn until Rual Metro fire showed up to extinguish the enfurno. We pray for the driver, and at the same time we there thankful we where being watched over because if we were 45 seconds closer you never know what might have happened.

I suspect something overheated on the long downgrade and It burst into flames.

Yikes!!!

SteveT.
Latest blog entry: My shop....
to remove ads between posts
Apr 14, 2017, 08:44 PM
Jus 1 more plane is all I need

Talon 90 Question

We maidened my buddy's Pantera today. Plane is so stable, takes off and lands very easy. Flies like it's on rails. Wonderful airframe.

We weren't able to appreciate the speed of the plane because when we advanced the throttle, the motor would pulse real hard until we backed off the throttle. Clearly an ESC setting.

I asked him what ESC settings he used and he said he just pulled it out of the box and installed it in the plane. LOL.

So all of that to say......what settings should we use on the Talon 90 for optimum performance and speed with the recommended Xpwr motor?
Apr 14, 2017, 08:46 PM
Chef Pilot: Planes vs Butter
"High" timing
Apr 14, 2017, 08:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinoDiablo
"High" timing
And I think I read from SupaTim you also need to select Outrunner mode along with the high timing. Don't forget to set throttle end points to ensure full throttle
Apr 14, 2017, 09:01 PM
Yes, it was clearly a setting issue. Whether it was ppm, timing, throttle advance, who knows.

Maybe we should post an optimized list of settings one by one for people who are starting g this build. Like me 👍🏻
Apr 14, 2017, 09:10 PM
God Your CoPilot? Switch Seats
Quote:
Originally Posted by nashvegas
yes, it was clearly a setting issue. Whether it was ppm, timing, throttle advance, who knows.

Maybe we should post an optimized list of settings one by one for people who are starting g this build. Like me 👍🏻
please !!
Apr 14, 2017, 09:11 PM
Chef Pilot: Planes vs Butter
I only know this because Xpower 3910 has the same requirements.
I have both the 52 Extra and Slick.
Apr 14, 2017, 09:32 PM
Owner/Operator at NorthWest RC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio AV8TOR
And I think I read from SupaTim you also need to select Outrunner mode along with the high timing. Don't forget to set throttle end points to ensure full throttle
That was the setting I found worked best with the 3910. I'm doing my maiden tomorrow on my Pantera and haven't used the Talon with the 3520 yet so guess I'd better take my programming card with me just in case...
Apr 14, 2017, 10:52 PM
FlyBilly
The recommended Talon 90 settings on our page 23 of the manual:

A note about the Castle Creations Talon 90 setup: The Talon 90 will require
programming to operate at maximum potential with the Xpwr T3520 motor.
It is highly recommended that you purchase the Castle Link dongle and
download the software to your computer. It is important that you install
firmware v4.22 on your Talon 90. We use the following settings as well:
Motor Start Power: MED 59
Throttle Response: MED 5
Motor Timing: High
Current limiting: Disabled
PWM Rate: Outrunner Mode
Brake: Off
Apr 15, 2017, 06:23 AM
lorhd2005

Hinges

Hello guys,I'm going to be ordering this plane,they are out of stock of the radio south ca hinges,any recommendations for replacements,was thinking the Dubro nylon hinges,standard size,would standard be the right size for this plane,also out of stock of the talon 90 esc,I have a ztw 125 amp,I plan on using it,any thoughts on this,thanks
Apr 15, 2017, 06:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wkener2
The recommended Talon 90 settings on our page 23 of the manual:
Well that's just plain funny and sad all at the same time. I guess it's true that we men never read the instructions. To be fair, I haven't built mine yet so im throwing this one back on my buddy Joe. Can't wait to tell him it's in the manual.
Apr 15, 2017, 06:59 AM
doh!
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorhd2005
Hello guys,I'm going to be ordering this plane,they are out of stock of the radio south ca hinges,any recommendations for replacements,was thinking the Dubro nylon hinges,standard size,would standard be the right size for this plane,also out of stock of the talon 90 esc,I have a ztw 125 amp,I plan on using it,any thoughts on this,thanks
Why not use the included hinges? I've never had the included ones fail on an EF product. Back in the days when I built great planes and hangar 9 kits I used to replace them as well, but have never done so on the EF planes. And that was on 3d birds where the control surfaces moved a lot. On the Pantera where the control throws will be much more limited I would certainly have no reservations about using the included ones.
Give the ZTW a try... they used to be great ESC's. They they went through a period where the firmware they included would lose timing on quick throttle advances. So I quit using them. But I have kept up with reading about them and Garrett at Altitude Hobbies has done a lot of work with the factory at trying to resolve the timing issues. So they may work great. I would just test the motor on the ground a bit, in particular rapid throttle advances from low to high throttle and see if it can keep timing on the motor. If you hear a screech type noise or experience power loss that would be the ESC losing commutation with the motor.
Apr 15, 2017, 08:11 AM
In the 52" Extra and Slick threads there are several guys successfully using the Gecko 85 from ZTW with the XPwr 3910. They say you need the latest firmware and timing set on high.
Apr 15, 2017, 09:03 AM
John
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorhd2005
Try Tower.
Apr 15, 2017, 10:07 AM
lorhd2005
Thanks for the responses guys,appreciate it

Quick Reply