Apr 10, 2017, 09:46 AM
Thread OP
Build Log

Carl Goldberg Eaglet 50

My friend had an Eaglet 50 back in the 80's and early 90's with a OS 20 4 stroke. He had more fun flying that airplane, most of he time the entire flight was under 10'. 4 strokes were still a newer thing back then, and the OS 20 4 stroke was a perfect match for the plane. Always wanted to build one, and since I'm into the vintage/retro thing now is the time. I bought a NIB OS 26 4 stroke off ebay. Getting the airplane to balance with the heavier 4 stroke shouldn't be too bad considering I'm building the airplane with this engine in mind. Might be harder if you were switching to a 4 stroke on an already built model.

I'll be building this one as a 4 channel airplane and don't really plan on changing anything. Might install some of today's smaller servo's since the fuse can get pretty tight with standard size servos.

The kit is in perfect shape. Starting backwards and starting with the fuse. Removed all of the die-cut parts and starting to get all of the edges cleaned up and the parts sanded. Goldberg kits die-cutting could be a little questionable at times, but this kit isn't bad. Just takes a little time to get everything cleaned up before assembly.
to remove ads between posts
Apr 11, 2017, 11:50 PM
Thread OP
Completed a lot of work on the fuse today. Forgot how easy these Goldberg designs go together and self jig fairly well. Overall parts fit pretty much like every other Goldberg kit I've built over the years.
Apr 13, 2017, 02:15 AM
Nice little airplane, subscribed.
Apr 13, 2017, 09:41 PM
Thread OP
Finish the frame up of the horizontal stabilizer. Just needs some final shaping and sanding.
Apr 13, 2017, 10:29 PM
A man with a plan
This is one of my old favorites. It proves the rule about lightweight planes flying better than heavy ones. The Eagle 63 was my first plane back in 1986, and I've built a couple of Eaglets over the years since. I'm finishing up the drafting right now to cut a laser kit of the Eaglet.
Apr 14, 2017, 08:08 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balsaworkbench
This is one of my old favorites. It proves the rule about lightweight planes flying better than heavy ones. The Eagle 63 was my first plane back in 1986, and I've built a couple of Eaglets over the years since. I'm finishing up the drafting right now to cut a laser kit of the Eaglet.
Agreed, the Eaglet and Eagle 63 are excellent flyers. Laser cut Eaglet Kit, I like that idea. When will it be available?
Apr 14, 2017, 09:12 PM
A man with a plan
I'm drawing the last couple of pieces right now. I should be able to cut it out this weekend, if anybody wants one. There will be a few little changes. For one thing I don't have the shaped rails for the fuel tank hatch, so I'm just ignoring that detail and expecting the builder to put a piece of 3/16" stick on the inside of each side, and put the hatch on top of it. Also, the dashboard isn't as rounded on the top corners as the plan because of those rails not being there. And I designed the ribs for a 1/4" dowel leading edge. Other than that it's pretty close to stock.

Sorry to hijack the thread. Back to Bergsmith's building project.
Apr 14, 2017, 11:11 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balsaworkbench
I'm drawing the last couple of pieces right now. I should be able to cut it out this weekend, if anybody wants one. There will be a few little changes. For one thing I don't have the shaped rails for the fuel tank hatch, so I'm just ignoring that detail and expecting the builder to put a piece of 3/16" stick on the inside of each side, and put the hatch on top of it. Also, the dashboard isn't as rounded on the top corners as the plan because of those rails not being there. And I designed the ribs for a 1/4" dowel leading edge. Other than that it's pretty close to stock.

Sorry to hijack the thread. Back to Bergsmith's building project.
No problem, great info you shared!
Apr 14, 2017, 11:35 PM
A man with a plan
These old 20 size trainers are great. I never get tired of them.
Apr 19, 2017, 07:04 PM
Thread OP
Fuselage requires some additional sanding and shaping, but it's close. I eliminated the fuel hatch and opted for sliding the tank in from the rear. A little more of a pain, but I like the strength gained and less area for fuel/exhaust to leak in.
Apr 19, 2017, 09:06 PM
Thread OP
Also built the left wing panel tonight as well. The wing is very simple and builds fast without a single issue.
Apr 20, 2017, 11:10 AM
Brooklynite In Texas
This bird has been one of the most fun birds I have ever flown, and old [email protected] 20 2 stroker and six ounce tank provided long flight time at half throttle, On three channels I never missed the ailerons. I built three more and used ailerons and rounded the stab surfaces, all were poor flyers compared to the original on three channels and square horiz. stab surfaces.

I still have a full copied kit and the eagle plane and kit built at least ten of them great fun.

enjoy!
Apr 21, 2017, 11:48 AM
Closed Account
The Eaglet 50 was the first kit that I built by myself around 1980 or so. Flew the wings off that plane. Flew it into almost everything too! The guy I sold it to used it for a club trainer for years. It may still be flying for all I know.

Here's a LINK to my long term Eaglet 50 build that I did electric and all balsa. I made a few changes like bolt on wing, dual aileron servos and some extra hatches. Hard to believe how well it flies on a 480 size motor. Dropping the weight of all the plywood really helped. It's not a full on build thread but shows a few of the mods I made. Maiden video too.

Joe
Apr 21, 2017, 08:31 PM
Thread OP
Both wings built, let the joining process begin.
Apr 23, 2017, 03:32 PM
Thread OP
Never liked plastic parts on an airplane, especially when it's a thin plastic. Found a nice lightweight balsa block to make the wing tips. Not much heavier than the plastic, but looks so much better.
Last edited by J Bergsmith; Apr 23, 2017 at 04:39 PM.

Quick Reply