Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales

Balsa USA Toledo Show 2017

The Balsa USA booth had a ton a beautiful scale planes hanging all over. These guys know how to make great kits and they continue to push out new and improved model kits for those who enjoy building a killer airplane.

Splash

Balsa USA Booth at Toledo

The Balsa USA booth had a ton a beautiful scale planes hanging all over. These guys know how to make great kits and they continue to push out new and improved model kits for those who enjoy building a killer airplane. One of their new planes is a 1/3rd scale Sopwith Pup. It is gorgeous with a huge 108" wingspan and 4428 sq in of wing area. It will handle a 45-70cc gas engine and weighs in around 29-30lbs when finished out. It's an amazing giant scale plane.

They also had a ton of other kits and laser cut accessories, parts and props available for sale in the booth. You could buy gussets, pilot figures, servo trays, turnbuckles, vintage wheels and more.

Check out all the great products at BalsaUSA.com.

Last edited by Matt Gunn; Apr 12, 2017 at 10:39 AM..
Apr 10, 2017, 09:49 AM
Thermals, Tom
It was great to see builders still being served.
The show ain't what it used to be. They should rent a smaller venue and let the quads find their own place
Apr 12, 2017, 07:04 AM
Park Stormer
The problem with that, is many of the companies that sell fixed wing kits and ARF models also sell quad copters (Hobbico, Horizon).

That means these companies would have to shell out for two different shows instead of one, and these exhibits are VERY expensive to attend.

plus, keeping all segments of the hobby (even ground and water based vehicles) in one place encourages cross over between the two., and that's healthy for the industry as a whole.
Apr 12, 2017, 08:16 AM
ARFs Are Me
BUSA is a great company that serves the modeling community well. It's nice to see that they are extending their kit and accessory lines.

I frequently buy their products and will continue to do so in the future.
Apr 13, 2017, 11:12 AM
I've always wanted to build one of their scale planes. Built a Smoothie (The original .40 size) I have a 1993 kit on my work bench right now, building the wing, I was shocked to see there's no cap strips or shear webs on the wings. I will add shear webbing.
Apr 13, 2017, 04:53 PM
Rhinebeck CD-99,00,01,02
I don't do facebook so I have no idea what model is being introduced, or re-introduced, but they have my curiosity up. I built their "old" Areonca C3 about 20 years ago and finally got it finished and flying a few years back and took it to Rhinebeck to fly and to show it to them. BUSA is one of the nicest group of guys I have ever met in this hobby. I was the Contest Director who got them to first come to the Rhinebeck Jamboree. They are now one of the biggest supporters of the Jamboree in the country and I am so glad I called them and asked them to come up and be a part of model aviation history. Here are a few shot of Old Faithful, modeled after a full scale C3 still flying in Pennsylvania. Yep, that last shot is of ORA's replica Spirit of St Louis, which is now finished and flying. Come Join us this September at the Jamboree. I'll have the C3 up there again. Tom Smith
Apr 13, 2017, 08:34 PM

Pup

I saw on their website they had DISCONTINUED the 33% Sopwith Pup??
Is this a new revamped version??
Apr 14, 2017, 01:47 PM
It is a new 1/3 Sopwith Pup. All laser cut. Wings are 3 piece so it's easier to transport. Improved landing gear. It's huge. Really nice looking plane but still too big for me.
I have the 1/4 Pup. If that is assembled in my shop, I have to duck under the wing to get past it.
Worth looking at if you have the room. Keep in mind that the price jumped a lot too.
Dave
Apr 24, 2017, 02:52 PM
Leroy G.
Balsa people may not know what some of their kits turn into, they have a fine line of kits available but not the PA-18 super cub I hear many would like to build.
I took the 1/4 scale J-3 kit and got the drawings of the tail group of the PA-18-150 and had them scaled to 1/4 and went to work building my super cub, here's what I ended up with.

Leroy
Apr 25, 2017, 06:03 AM
Wow very nice work!