Jun 10, 2017, 10:47 AM
Mustang Fever
Thread OP
Here's all the night time pics I could find. I hesitate to interpret them, tho.
to remove ads between posts
Jun 14, 2017, 03:25 PM
After looking at pictures and videos on the web my best estimate is that the top beacon is located mid way between nose and the end of the rudder. The one on the bottom works out to be about 4 1/4" forward of where the front of the wing meets the fuselage. The way I came up with these locations is by printing out actual photos and using proportions from the photos to the model plans. If anyone has more accurate info please let me know but these locations "look about right" . . .

Today I received my lighting system from Electro Dynamics. Not cheap, but very bright and is plug and play. They were able to reprogram their beacon so that it looks more like a beacon than a strobe. Had them include 2 programmable switches so that I can turn on the taxi lights when the gears are lowered and the landing lights are activated by lowering the flaps.

Now I have to make the brackets for the taxi lights and work out the operation of the landing lights. More challenges . . .
Jun 15, 2017, 07:08 AM
Alflyer, thanks for the info on light location
This is the lighting system I use have (3) https://www.dimensionengineering.com...ht-starter-kit
This system is programmable very flexible
Use this for light covers http://parkflyerplastics.com/cart/in...roducts_id=401

Like I said above will be using this to expand channels on my 8 channel receiver, thought I would show it wired see PIC.

Also if you need to make alignment pins (like for a hatch) I use screw in field tips for arrows see PIC. I drill using a sharpened brass tube (makes a very clean hole). Cover the hole with painter tape (blue) with the same hole drilled into the tape. Using Johnson's paste wax I cote the field tip points (release agent), fill the hole with epoxy and insert the field point. After drying remove points and tape, using a Q-tip wax the inside of the hole and around the hole (release agent) fill hole with epoxy and set hatch in place and let dry, epoxy will attach to the hatch cover.

Tony
Last edited by cornj; Jun 15, 2017 at 07:28 AM.
Jun 15, 2017, 07:43 AM
Mustang Fever
Thread OP
I've been thinking about lights, but I'll probably limit my additions to flaps and landing gear doors.
Jun 15, 2017, 10:40 AM
That lighting system looks great. According to the website there is a lot you can do with programming to make it customized. Thanks for the "tip" about the arrows

Bob, I will be very interested on set ups for gear door opening and closing. I would like to do something simple and reliable. There is a lot of info on the web - some complex and a few simple.
Jun 15, 2017, 09:36 PM
Mustang Fever
Thread OP
I'm going to use what I see on my Flightline RC F7F Tigercat: simple coil springs that hold the doors open, and then get pushed in by the struts to close them. I even bought 3 sets of the springs from Motion RC.
Jun 16, 2017, 06:23 AM
Could you post a picture or two when you get a chance?
Jun 16, 2017, 08:38 AM
Mustang Fever
Thread OP
Here we go. Note that the forward door is simply hinged in front of the strut and pulled closed by a spring attached to it. Similar to the Connie.
Jun 16, 2017, 11:41 AM
Great pictures! Looks like this set up will work. Like you said, doors are very similar to Connie. Simple and reliable. Couple of questions.

Looks like the front door is actually hinged below the fuselage line?

Green piece by front spring is permanently attached to door to act as a spacer so door doesn't hit wheel?

Spring on rear doors just pushes doors open?

Offset hinges on main doors?

What is the width of the gear opening?

Do the doors on the mains use a similar system to the rear doors on nose gear?
Jun 16, 2017, 11:53 AM
The spring set is out of stock at Motion, but they will notify me when back in stock.

I see the set for the mains includes a couple small springs to push the doors open in addition to the big spring to close the doors.

Thanks again for the pictures.
Jun 16, 2017, 12:36 PM
Mustang Fever
Thread OP
The nose gear door opening is about 2", same as the Connie. Hinges are sort of recessed. You guessed right on the green spacer. The wheel and the spring both act to open the doors. The mains are wider, and I think the hair springs are used there.

I'm hoping to use Dubro heavy duty pinned hinges. A single piece of piano wire can be used as a pin, and makes initial layout and installation a snap. (I do this on all control surfaces as well) Put the hinges on the piano wire, cut slots on the fuse mounting surface, install the fuse side of the hinges, lay the door against the open hinges to determine their location. I hope, anyway. Never tried it. I'm going to make the doors of 3/32 balsa sheet, with extensions of the applicable formers to get the right shape. Never tried that, either. Best part is, if it turns into a total snipe hunt, it's easy enough to remove.

You will need two sets, as the main door spring is only 4" long, and you'll a pair of 2.5 inchers. (Width of the main wheel wells on the Connie)

The whole objective here is to add some nice functional scale touches that won't add much weight. I have a design worked out for actual Fowler flaps, too, if you're interested. Requires a retract servo and a regular servo per side. Gets the flappy part right to the trailing edge, where it can be lowered, just like the full size bird. Not sure it will work ok, so I'm going to cut a bunch of extra wing parts and make a 21" span test unit. I'm not much of an engineer. More a cut and paster, grind a little off and try againer.
Last edited by Bob Hunt; Jun 16, 2017 at 12:42 PM.
Jun 16, 2017, 01:12 PM
Mustang Fever
Thread OP
Been working on the nose gear installation since May 24. Getting close, now. Just have to hook up the pull-pull steering cables. Geez I hate working with those.
Jun 20, 2017, 10:41 AM
I hate spray cans
http://www.warbirdsnews.com/warbirds...ir-museum.html

some close by pics here Bob
Jun 20, 2017, 11:45 AM
Bob,

I am very much interested in your Fowler flap set up. Please keep us posted on your progress. I am finishing up on the planking on the fuselage. Still have to add a hatch for access to switches and such. I plan to load main flight batteries through the wing opening so the other access hatch doesn't have to be too big.

My wing is framed up with the top sheeted and bottom open. Still have a lot of work to do with ailerons, nacelles, and flaps. Looking forward to seeing if we can get some working Fowler flaps.
Jun 20, 2017, 08:09 PM
Mustang Fever
Thread OP
Thanks, Don. I didn't know that. One of the Yankee founders was my branch chief in the Air Guard.

Quick Reply