Phil Noel's 88" Constellation (C-121C) - RC Groups
Apr 09, 2017, 08:15 AM
Mustang Fever
Discussion

Phil Noel's 88" Constellation (C-121C)

I've been looking at this bird for at least two years. Recent success with a Duelist MkII re-ignited my love for electric multis with counter-rotating props.

Pic is the 121 that's in the National Air and Space Museum. An old Vietnam Vet, like me. (They flew supplies and personnel to Vietnam twice a month during the war.) West by God Virginia Air Guard bird. (I was in the Michigan Air Guard for 15 years, so kind of soft hearted about those boys.)

She'll have 4 Turnigy G32s, three blade 9x7 MAS props, Robart electric retracts and Fowler flaps using the Robart hinges.

Ordered the plans and the laser cut parts last week.
to remove ads between posts
Apr 09, 2017, 10:59 AM
3d and EDF, some scale
Always loved the Connie, the 121 is just that much cooler
Apr 09, 2017, 02:36 PM
Up-Out-&-Gone
Good luck with your Connie build Bob!
Latest blog entry: Three RC 737 Progress Report!
Apr 10, 2017, 07:57 PM
A Day @ a Time - Matt. 6:25-34
As an old AWACS guy I love the EC-121, predecessor of the E-3. Watching closely.
Apr 10, 2017, 08:24 PM
Mustang Fever
Thanks, guys. I guess the kit, etc. have to come from the UK, so it'll be awhile.
Apr 11, 2017, 07:21 PM
Onward and upward.
My old boss rode in the '121 as a radar operator off the coast during the south east asian conflict.
He said it was a very strong airplane and could fly way too long!
Apr 11, 2017, 08:47 PM
Mustang Fever
It says a lot about the 3350 engines that a P2V flew over 11,000 miles nonstop and unrefueled (Perth, Australia to Columbus, OH) in 1946, and that record for prop planes wasn't broken until Voyager went around the world in 1986.
Apr 11, 2017, 09:39 PM
A Day @ a Time - Matt. 6:25-34
Our instructor was an old 121 "scope dope" in SE Asia - he had some great war stories and always had great answers to the why is it done that way questions.
Apr 13, 2017, 07:29 AM
AMA 504253 Born in the USA
Bob, the full scale connie did not have counter rotating props. They all turn the same way. Go figure, but it worked. You can see some videos on you tube. We still want you to build it though.
Dave
Apr 13, 2017, 08:06 AM
Mustang Fever
Yeah, near as I can tell, only the P-38 did. I've had twins with both cr and rh, and the difference in handling is striking, so I'm gonna cheat. I have a set of Ivan Pettigrew's plans for a Martin Mars, and he put in about 10 degrees of right thrust on the #4 motor. I know the reason for that.
Apr 14, 2017, 11:40 AM
Bob,
I first saw the strikingly beautiful Connie taking the flight from Tel Aviv, Israel to Istanbul, Turkey as a 6 yr boy and that was love at first sight. I remember seeing this sculptured figure and loving it. My dad who worked for El Al bought me a card board kit of the Connie (the one you cut these templates with scissors and glue them round. They had a joggle and you'd glue all the pieces to each other to get that shape) and the rest is history. I'm still infected with the aviation bug 60 years later.
The thing about your post is that earlier today I was thinking that I would ask Egor with Aerotetris models to develop a foam model about 3m span for 4 electric motors and as I'm scrolling the forums I see you post.
Please go on with this beautiful project. I'm subscribed.
Solly
Apr 14, 2017, 04:56 PM
Mustang Fever
Thanks, Solly

Cheers
Apr 19, 2017, 10:15 AM
Mustang Fever
Been playing around on ecalc, trying to get component weights down. (I'm convinced this is how you save weight on a model)

Switching to G10-810 Turnigys, Talon 25 escs, and a 4S Zippy Compact 5800 pack. Performance is the same, and weight dropped by almost a pound. Now I have over 90oz left from 160 for the airframe. I can probably do that. APC 9x6 2 blade LH/RH props.
Apr 23, 2017, 08:36 AM
Mustang Fever
I was way off estimating weight saved by going to smaller motors. I've since switched to Turnigy Park 480-850s, APC 9x6 E props(LH and RH), talon 25 escs, and a 5800 4S Zippy Compact pack. Weight savings comes to almost 2 pounds. I think I might be able to hit the target weight of 160oz with this, even including Fowler flaps.

Performance numbers with this setup are: 52mph top, 6.5 minutes mixed throttle flight time, 16A per motor, and thrust to weight ratio of 1.12 to 1.

Got an email from John at Traplet, and the kit etc are shipping Monday, with 5-7 days travel time.
Apr 28, 2017, 07:58 AM
Mustang Fever
Been perusing the various build photos from Phil Noel's thread and my old friend Don Olsen in NM, and realized that the battery pack(s) are being installed through the wing saddle. No hatches. Because of this, I'm playing around with mounting as many bits in the wing root area as I can. (Everything except elevator and nose steer servos, and the nose gear itself.) That way the pack can be moved fore/aft as needed for the CG, without anything getting in the way. I did this on my Duelist Mk II, and it worked out well. (Really weirds me out though, as the fuse weighs virtually nothing without the packs, and wing feels like it weighs a ton.) I may be premature, here, as I don't really know how much room there is in the root area. Hard to tell from the pictures online.

Perhaps I can make a small hatch on the upper fuse for the purpose of connecting and disconnecting the pack without removing the wing. Or maybe I'll just go ahead and make a big hatch(es) once I know where the pack will end up. As the fuse is strip planked, it will be very strong, and properly done hatches shouldn't bother it.

Ditched the Fowler flaps as I'm really trying to keep the RTF weight to 10 lbs. I bought a bunch of small plastic offset hinges. This will displace the flaps to the rear as they lower. I suppose I'll round the flap LEs so that there will be smooth airflow through the gap. Should allow more than 45 degrees of travel, although I think I'll start with about 40 degrees and work up from there. The flaps will be big- they'll start at the line drawn between the aft ends of the nacelles on the bottom of the wing, and I should be able to include the portion that actually extends under the fuse. I checked this on ecalc up to 12 pounds, and it's ok.

Also ditched the idea of rudders to save weight. For directional control on crosswind takeoffs, I'm going to have differential throttle like on my Duelist, only toned way down. I'll experiment with using this during flight on my Duelist.

The Turnigy Park 480s are not available through HKs USA warehouses, so I'm likely to end up with Eflite 480-910s. The higher kVa will yield a bit more speed and punch. Good to have in case the weight is more than I hope for.

The plans and short kit/cowls should be delivered some time next week. Hang onto your butts.
Last edited by Bob Hunt; Apr 28, 2017 at 08:10 AM.