I've been building wheels. - RC Groups
Apr 09, 2017, 01:07 AM
Build straight - Fly twisty
Mini-HowTo

I've been building wheels.

It started when I saw the foam cushion thing my daughter had bought for next to nothing. It looked like the perfect thing to provide me with some largish wheels I need.
Having bought my cushion I used a hole saw to cut some tyres, and a smaller hole saw to chew out some washers from an oil bottle.
I also grabbed some Nylon screws and nuts to form the hubs.
The procedure went something like this.
Thread the washers on to one of the screws with a wood backing plate and clean up the washers in the toy lathe.
Assemble the tyre with a washer either side on to a Nylon screw and tighten a nut on to it.
Insert the Nylon screw into the lathe chuck and sand the tyre to size and shape. I used an open weave sander and It was fast and easy.
Turn half the thickness off the screw head and make the center hole. I used a 3mm drill for this.
Trim off the spare Nylon screw and the job is done although I will lock the nut in place, probably with a touch or three with a hot iron.
The 55mm wheels shown here weigh 5 grams each and I have some 65mm ones weighing just 1 gram more.
I want nice forgiving wheels for my FPV planes and I think these will be the goods.
to remove ads between posts
Apr 09, 2017, 05:05 AM
gpw
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
Nice wheels !!!
Apr 09, 2017, 06:28 AM
Professional tree finder
Whoa, those would stand in for some really nice tundra tires. Nice job!

Chris
Apr 09, 2017, 07:25 AM
If it flies - I want one!
Like!
Apr 09, 2017, 08:00 AM
An itch?. Scratch build.

Hubcaps ?

For the finishing touch, how about some hubcaps ?

I used some hard foam from a kneeling pad, (used when kneeling in the garden, praying the weeds wouldn't come back ).

The hubs were commercial models plane wheels but with very heavy plastic tires.

The 'hubcaps' are cut from the bottom of a drinks can, nicely ready domed, and fixed on with a small dab of contact adhesive.

Ray.
Apr 09, 2017, 03:55 PM
That's a great idea, Ray.
I'd certainly need to do something like that if I was building the nice scale looking planes that you do so well.
The bigger wheels are for an FPV plane that has a very Unmanned Aerial Vehicle look, so the clunky hex hub will be OK.
The smaller ones are intended for a sports aerobatic thing I've had under construction for some time. It will need some hub caps I'm (now) thinking.
Last edited by Whiskers; Apr 11, 2017 at 07:32 AM.
Apr 09, 2017, 04:22 PM
I fly ok, crash even better.

Last edited by antjayne; Apr 09, 2017 at 04:26 PM. Reason: wanted to reply not post sorry.
Apr 09, 2017, 04:28 PM
I fly ok, crash even better.

very nice

I will definitely give this a try !
Apr 09, 2017, 06:03 PM

As you are in Oz

Quote:
Originally Posted by antjayne
I will definitely give this a try !
Sports cushion from K Mart
http://www.kmart.com.au/product/spor...7_IaAsT18P8HAQ
Nylon screws from Bunnings. Washers from any suitable scrap.
Apr 09, 2017, 07:49 PM
Ray's post has made me think. His posts often work like that.
With the method I have outlined you are left with a cut off length of threaded Nylon.
What about if we made the washers from thicker stock (say 3 mm) and tapped them so they would screw on this threaded shaft meaning the bolt head and nut are not required.
You could even drill (sorta) scale-like holes in the washers or even turn in some other 'scale' details
Apr 10, 2017, 11:52 AM
Home of "Golf Cart Flying"
I see what ya did there and I like it!
Thanks for sharing.
Latest blog entry: My Slow-Boat build log.
Apr 11, 2017, 03:53 PM
That's a great idea. I now have a new item to add to the scavenger list. Foam tire that are light and cheap.
Apr 18, 2017, 07:21 PM
Nice!! I saw this thread and have been looking for the kneeling cushion went to Home Depot nothing and Walmart still nothing then the GF and I were walking around lowes and stumbled on these. https://m.lowes.com/pd/AWP-HP-Yellow...g-Pad/50331647 They're ten bucks and very thick. 1 and a half inches. Just need to pick up the plastic hardware.
Apr 19, 2017, 02:35 AM
12th Pursuit Squadron
Go to your local sporting goods store, or possibly even big box department store and look for a seat cushion. Or, go to the gardening department an look for a kneeling pad. Either of those should get you what we need.

J.P.
Apr 19, 2017, 05:56 PM
These look fantastic!

If you want to go super cheap and you're ok with the dayglow colors, these are from Dollar Tree: https://www.dollartree.com/Garden-Co...8408/index.pro