Apr 08, 2017, 06:34 PM
geek from Cow Pie AZ
Thread OP
Discussion

Compatibility Spektrum DSM/DSM2/DSMX

Is there are chart that clarifies this? Forward and back-compatiblity, tx to rx (all the way back to that DSM AR6000 rx and DX6 tx)

And what about JR DMSS or whatever they call it? And the older radios are only labeled as 2.4 gHz, is that DSM?

<totally confussed>
to remove ads between posts
Apr 08, 2017, 06:39 PM
S.A.D. member
No, no chart any more.

The "original" DX6 was DSM only and would work with the AR6000 and BR6000

The "original" DX7 was DSM2 and backwards compatible with DSM. You could (and maybe still can) have it upgraded to DSMX which would keep the DSM2 compatibility but you'd lose DSM.

Almost any DSMX transmitter in North America is backwards compatible with DSM2 but would not do DSM.

The DXe is DSMX only (no DSM2 or DSM).

Any EU-sold Spektrum transmitter is DSMX only (no DSM2 or DSM).

HTH
Ivan
Apr 08, 2017, 06:49 PM
Sagitta Fanboy
The original DX6i also supported DSM, but lost that support with the DSMX version.

As to the receivers, all the DSMX receivers that are Spektrum-branded support DSM2 as well. The E-Flite SAFE receiver in the Apprentices does not support all DSM2 transmitters (it supports any one that's native, but not the Spektrum DSM2 modules)

JR's DMSS is a completely different and utterly incompatible system introduced when JR and Spektrum dissolved their partnership around 2012.

All JR transmitters with DSM branding speak either DSM2 or DSMX and DSM2, they will have a DSMX logo on screen if they are DSMX capable. Upgrades are still available from Horizon last I checked (which was last year, I flew a DSM2 X9503 until the fall).

Older JR radio's labelled with 2.4 branding are DSM2/DSMX if they were for the North American market (they used other protocols in other markets, as JR partnered with Graupner for the EU market and used DSMJ in Japan).
Apr 08, 2017, 06:58 PM
geek from Cow Pie AZ
Thread OP
Thank you so much mawz and ivanc.

I was looking at a JR X9503, so that would work with the latest Spektrum AR636 DSMX rx, and the AR500 DSM2 rx, I assume?

I dont really need DSMX per se because where I fly there are far less than 40 radios going on.
Apr 08, 2017, 08:45 PM
Sagitta Fanboy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerts
Thank you so much mawz and ivanc.

I was looking at a JR X9503, so that would work with the latest Spektrum AR636 DSMX rx, and the AR500 DSM2 rx, I assume?

I dont really need DSMX per se because where I fly there are far less than 40 radios going on.
It most certainly would, I used both of those receivers with my X9503

I would suggest updating to DSMX if possible, it will increase the value of the unit and guarantee that you have compatibility with every DSMX device in the future.
Apr 08, 2017, 10:54 PM
geek from Cow Pie AZ
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by mawz
It most certainly would, I used both of those receivers with my X9503

I would suggest updating to DSMX if possible, it will increase the value of the unit and guarantee that you have compatibility with every DSMX device in the future.
Not so sure about that because I have so many AR6000 rx, many planes are light/inexpensive in my hanger. If the Spektrum rx werent so pricey it would have made life simpler for me, and I am considering Lemon rx too.
Apr 08, 2017, 11:14 PM
most exalted one
Not just 40 radios magically determine it. If your environment is quiet no problem but dsmx is preferable if choosing Spektrum,
Apr 09, 2017, 06:10 AM
geek from Cow Pie AZ
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4*60
Not just 40 radios magically determine it. If your environment is quiet no problem but dsmx is preferable if choosing Spektrum,
If I go DSMX, then I would have to learn to trust Lemon rx because I have so many small/inexpensive planes - putting overpriced Spektrum rx in them doesnt make sense to me.

Also, from what I have seen, Spektrum will probably come up with new system called DSMXX in a year, rationalizing that DSMX is not reliable when there are too many garage door openers operating nearby at the same time, and bump all the prices for that. <sarcasm>
Last edited by Zerts; Apr 09, 2017 at 07:44 AM.
Apr 09, 2017, 08:51 AM
Why should they ? They just have to change the jump sequence to lock out all 3rd party rx. Maybe not a wise decision, but who knows.
Just don't buy "genuine" receivers from ebay. They are 99% counterfeit and many are not reliable.
If you want to save some bucks go for citrus fruit. If you trust them. Oranges are a nogo for me.

Garage door openers usually work on 433/886MHz
Apr 09, 2017, 09:07 AM
Sagitta Fanboy
Quote:
Not so sure about that because I have so many AR6000 rx, many planes are light/inexpensive in my hanger. If the Spektrum rx werent so pricey it would have made life simpler for me, and I am considering Lemon rx too.
The AR6000's are worth more on the used market than the Lemon-RX DSM2 park flier receivers are new. A lot more in fact (AR6000's tend to sell for about the same as the 5-packs of the LemonRX DSM2 park receivers). And since both are park-range RX's, you aren't losing anything. My experience is that the Lemon DSMX 6ch's are as good as the Spektrum Sport receivers (AR400/500/600/610/636). At $12 for the DSMX full-range, they are a great replacement for park flier receivers (AR6000/61xx).

I'd suggest selling off the AR6000's while they still have some value.
Apr 09, 2017, 09:12 AM
geek from Cow Pie AZ
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mukenukem
Why should they ? They just have to change the jump sequence to lock out all 3rd party rx. Maybe not a wise decision, but who knows.
Just don't buy "genuine" receivers from ebay. They are 99% counterfeit and many are not reliable.
If you want to save some bucks go for citrus fruit. If you trust them. Oranges are a nogo for me.

Garage door openers usually work on 433/886MHz
Do you mean Lemon rx are OK but not Orange?
Apr 09, 2017, 09:13 AM
geek from Cow Pie AZ
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by mawz
The AR6000's are worth more on the used market than the Lemon-RX DSM2 park flier receivers are new. A lot more in fact (AR6000's tend to sell for about the same as the 5-packs of the LemonRX DSM2 park receivers). And since both are park-range RX's, you aren't losing anything. My experience is that the Lemon DSMX 6ch's are as good as the Spektrum Sport receivers (AR400/500/600/610/636). At $12 for the DSMX full-range, they are a great replacement for park flier receivers (AR6000/61xx).

I'd suggest selling off the AR6000's while they still have some value.
No thanks LOL, not worth my time and energy.
Apr 09, 2017, 09:14 AM
Sagitta Fanboy
Quote:
Do you mean Lemon rx are OK but not Orange?
I would say so. Only Orange I found reliable was the R610, the rest of their product I've found to be flaky.

I've had good luck with Lemon. Wouldn't put them in anything high-dollar, but I also wouldn't put a sport-class Spektrum receiver in anything high-dollar. I consider the Lemon's to be a good alternative to the Spektrum sport-class receivers at more reasonable pricing.
Apr 09, 2017, 01:17 PM
Closed Account
I don't fly anything that I would consider high dollar. I like the Lemons. Never had an issue so far. After the all the trouble with the "programmable" 636, I haven't purchased any loose Spek Rxs. I do sometimes buy BNF though, so I get the pre-programmed ones and they seem okay.
I guess I'm saying Lemons are A-OK in my opinion.
Apr 09, 2017, 01:28 PM
geek from Cow Pie AZ
Thread OP
I don't fly anything high dollar but I get nervous about flyaways because I fly in an urban setting and don't want to cause a major car pileup or anything. One flying site is next to a busy freeway.

I have had one brownout (original DX6, AR6000) - caused minor damage because a small electric glider. Heard many local stories about AR6100e brownouts - this was years ago. Had many minor twitches w/ 72mHz, which I still use also.

Quick Reply